Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

I just want to let you know how helpful these nursing threads have been to me. Thanks for all the information, guys; it's really reassuring to know what I should be expecting. If there's anyone with experience in the Canadian system, I'd love to hear their input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Can any Canadian nurses confirm for me that Nurse Practitioners here can qualify to provide abortions?

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

I keep forgetting where this thread is. Is there a reason that nurses hang out in BFC, instead of in The Goon Doctor with the EMTs and Pharm students?

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

jet sanchEz posted:

Out of curiosity, would women have a hard time working as an RN in correction?

Corrections was the one field my aunt, who has worked in it for years, told me not to go into as a new grad. However, a few years of experience may make a big difference. I don't think it's especially difficult but it's probably intimidating at first.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

For some mysterious reason, a HUGE amount of profs/lab coordinators at my school are peds nurses. I'm guessing that with only one childrens' hospital in the city, there is absolutely no ped nurse shortage, which makes me worried for the majority of my classmates who all love babies and want to work L & D despite our clinical rotation in OB/maternity being next semester i.e. none of us have actually done it. The thing about our profs all being peds nurses is that it's incredibly annoying to hear "We never use this in the ped population!" twelve times a semester. And I think that, as a class, we're missing out on classroom experience from populations that most of us will actually work in like ER/geriatrics/ortho.

Yarbald, I am insanely jealous that you only have one day of clinical a week :(

I guess the reason that this thread is full of students is that actual working nurses have no time to post. Woohoo, my life in two years!

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Hellacopter posted:

I really like the OR and ICU but for different reasons. The OR is super technical with lots of fun machines and tech, and you have a whole multidisciplinary team within arms reach around the table. Downside include surgeons, standing, and that circulating can get boring. ICU also has fun machines and tech, but you spend a lot more time with your patients and if they start to head downhill there's no transferring to a higher level of care. It's a challenging environment, but it's one where I'd be pushed to learn new things all the time. It'd also open up a lot of doors because I'd like to get into the cath lab eventually and ICU experience seems to be preferred.

Okay, here's the rundown of how I do things. No idea if it'll actually be of any help but v:shobon:v

I've spent a long time lurking the resume/CV thread here and the big thing they talk about is how to use words from the job posting in my summary statement at the top of the resume, so that somebody who looks at my application/resume can immediately see how I'm qualified for the job.

For example, this posting

I pick phrases and words that seem applicable and work them into my summary statement. So something like "A professional registered nurse that utilizes the nursing process to provide competent patient care and promote optimal patient outcomes that is seeking a New Grad RN position with Avara Health."

Some job postings have long lists of the skills required, like this one, so then I have a special "selected skills" section in my resume where I can put them. Most HR depts. use programs to organize and review job applications (Taleo :argh: ) and I *think* that the programs use keywords to match for relevancy.

Here's the outline of what I have on mine. I feel like there's a lot of fluff but I really don't have anything that makes me stand out from other applicants so I try to sound as professional (but not buzzwordy) as possible.

I always attach a cover letter and personalize it to the exact position at the organization I'm applying to, and make sure that it's always addressed to a real person like a nurse recruiter or the unit manager. Managers and recruiters can sometimes be found by internet detectiving them on LinkedIn. Then I talk about why I'm interested in the speciality the position is in (in my case, ICU or OR), bring up something that I learned from both my capstone and from my school, and a major project that I accomplished and the skills that it required. Then I wrap up by saying I'm available to relocate and provide my contact info.

Even though I've just written a whole wall of :downswords:, this is really just my personal approach and what I've come up with through a lot of reading and tweaking. I also decided to only apply for positions that I'm genuinely interested in instead of having to fake "Experience isn't required? Oh yes I'm very interested in the family clinic. :geno:" and for whatever reason, this latest revision of my resume and CL is getting HR to call me. Maybe it's all just timing too.

EDIT: send me an email at spambotkiller1@gmail.com and I'll pass the UMC El Paso's person contact info on.

This is amazing, THANK YOU. I never considered using ADPIE as a resume tool.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Assuming that you're looking for PSW/PCA/UCP/NA work as a resume builder here.

Make sure you emphasize actual PSW-related tasks: lifting/transfers, communication and reporting, giving showers/pericare/oral care/catheter care, feeding (and be specific if you've done NG feeding tubes), using empathetic communication with cognitively impaired individuals, assessments, etc. I leave a LOT of my work experience off my healthcare resume because the fact that I did dishes or handled cold hard :10bux: is actually I do dishes at my current job but just when we're bored and then we complain about it not what people hire nursing aides to do. It's fine to use work experiences that show accountability and that you know how to report to people with higher authority as any actual incidents will go straight to the nurse, not to you.

Your description of your clinical experience sounds like you were locked in the staff room doing flowsheets your whole time. PSWing is totally practical, make sure you mention the actual physical nursing stuff you did like make beds or take blood glucose or whatever.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Go for retirement homes with ALC floors (that's a lot of them by the way) and home care agencies. Of my classmates who work as PSWs, I'd guesstimate that 70% worked home care. They are always desperate for grunts, the only downside is that you must have transportation. The ones that did get hospital positions got them in really, really small towns where the applicant pool just wasn't big enough to disqualify them OR had experience from a prior degree e.g. vet tech or research positions.

Or you could just apply to the hospitals anyway! :)

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

I honestly loved geriatrics. They can be really medically interesting, and most dementia patients can still tell you stories about their life. You also get to see a lot of interesting thought pattern abnormalities (blocking, circumstantiality) and other features of their mental illnesses. They're usually on crazy drug cocktails, so your med knowledge has to be comprehensive. And even when they're being aggressive, very few of them are capable of putting you in hospital yourself.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

People react to high pressure differently. It's not about you, it's about their own frustration and you're just in the way. Do a good job, and know you're doing a good job, and let them work their own crazy out.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Have you ever told your DoN that the amount of paperwork you chase is making your actual job impossible to do? Or is the problem higher up the organizational chain?

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Roki B posted:

BTW the reddit r/nursing is total hellfucker garbage don't ever go there for advice you're welcome in advance.

Yeah, I have zero respect for that sub since some dude posted a 3 page essay about his DEEP SOUL CALLING to work in pediatric nursing because he wanted to give back to the universe or some poo poo after taking some good acid and getting Internet points up the wazoo for it... Also a lot of Cali new grads complaining about their job market, which is understandable, but not news.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

nordavind posted:

At work today I met a girl with borderline personality disorder who's committed because she opened her stomach with a knife and put needles in her guts. Apparently she was sitting with her entrails in her hands when the paramedics arrived. gently caress. I've seen some poo poo in my time in psych, but this takes the loving cake. Of course she was abused as a kid. Sometimes I hate humanity.

Hoooooooly poo poo. Never a dull day in psych, eh?

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

whatshesaid posted:

Interesting. I know that not many people are interested in psych nursing, but I've never heard anyone really poo poo on it as a profession. I have always wanted to do something in psych, hence the bachelor's in psychology. Combining medical stuff with psych is the ideal thing for me. Yeah, not too keen on the military. I looked at my school's requirements for their program, and it said a year of full-time work is required before beginning the Master's program so I guess that answers my question.

From what I've heard from classmates/working RNs in Canada, it's best to have a few years at least of actual floor experience as an RN before diving into Master's NP (plus, having positive cashflow would probably be nice!). I know a few of Ontario's reputable universities don't accept NP students direct from BScN.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

crikster posted:

This is my first semester in the ADN program. What I've learned so far is that every spare moment is spent studying. I'm pretty smart at book learning, but I'm afraid my people skills aren't good enough.

I know she's banned (for a GREAT reason), but regarding that post about 'quitting' coffee? Yeah good luck with the rest of your degree.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

babyturnsblue posted:

I was hoping someone had some insight for me. I'm currently taking my prerequisites to apply for an ADN program. My eventual goal is to finish a BSN, but because of financial reasons I'd like to be able to start working full-time as soon as possible. I'm hearing that the job prospects for ADN are extremely bleak, but just what exactly should I expect?

I'm not naive enough to think I'm going to land an ideal position with just an ADN, but I'd like to know I have a chance of at least finding something.

The 'portability' of an ADN is way lower vs. a BScN, at least in the States. If you want to work in a big city, it's going to be very tough without a BScN because magnet hospitals or something. Long-term care and nursing homes could hire basically anything, though.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

According to ~my extensive Internet research~ California is the worst place in the States to be an RN. Pay is high and so the market is FLOODED.

Interested to hear from anyone who went straight to ER from nursing school. Positive experiences or regrets for the rest of your lives?

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Helmacron posted:

Can I just call you out to explain that? Like, explain how Darwin was all about poor fuckers who lose a foot through diabetes because they never had an education, and we left them behind, and they just didn't want to bother anyone, or they hadn't had their loving mental disorder diagnosed because they're scared of doctors or doctors bills or both or any number of a loving unbelievably huge amount of things.

I feel if Darwin was around, and someone invoked his name like that, he'd say "what?" and then look behind him, then turn back and say "what?" again and pull at his mutton chops in confusion.

Everyone who shows up non-compliant, injecting oxy through their PICC, etc. has a sad story behind them and has been failed at some point in the system. But it's very harmful to those people to absolve them of ALL personal responsibility. Adults have the capacity to make informed choices.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Avian Pneumonia posted:

So I've finally graduated and have my RN from Drexel University. I'm looking for a job at a hospital in or near New York City. I have preferences on the kind of hospital/unit I'd like to work on but I'll also take what I can get as a first job.

That said, it seems like most jobs are part time or per diem or require experience.

Any ideas?

According to ~rumors~ NYC is Hard Mode Job Hunt, like Cali.

To be honest, I started my new grad job hunt in February, going in person to managers and introducing myself. I also attended job fairs and talked directly to recruiters to find out what they wanted (i.e. what my cover letter should say) - every recruiter, even the LASIK/botox clinics, even ones from Nowhere, SK. New grad is a rough time and a lot of my classmates found the hunt harder than we were told to expect.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

DustingDuvet posted:

I want to share a 3,000+ word guide I wrote about writing resumes for nurses with sample content included. It is intended as an actionable guide covering nursing summary sentences, content development, nursing volunteer and rotations, nursing skills, and nursing job advice for those with little to no experience. If any nursing Goons have any feedback it would be really helpful before I promote this article to the masses.

Create a Nurse Resume in Five Easy Steps: A Practical and Actionable Guide to Resume Writing for Nurses

Mods: If it's not okay to post this I will remove the link immediately.

quote:

More specifically, are you having trouble with your ER Nurse resume, Graduate Nurse resume, Registered Nurse resume, Staff Nurse Resume, or even your Nursing Student resume?

I see you there, Google keywords!

This guide is terrible, but would it help anyone to see examples of actual resumes? I can post a demo one if there's interest.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

I was terrified of sterile procedures at first but then I realized that everything outside the dressing tray is LLLAAAAVA. Your patient's skin? LAVA. Outside of the syringe packet? LAVA. It's also helpful to clench a sterile fist if you're not doing anything with it to keep your hand from hitting LAAAAAVA by reflex (my bad habit is nudging my glasses- I had to train myself to do it with my elbow).

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

ICU and ED have sort of opposite nursing personalities. EDs have to be generalists, get-stuff-done-quick, high-stress, prioritize lots and lots of patients from each other. ICU nurses are more perfectionists who know a LOT about very specialized areas and have very tight control over their patients. At least that's the stereotype I've heard.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

The US rhetoric about unions is absolutely bananas. Regardless of how you feel about your union rep, the actual bottom line dollar amount on your job offer is HUGELY affected by your union status. I love ONA and I'm not afraid to admit it. Without a strong union we'd be wiping asses just for the moral high ground because nursing is a caring profession, don't you know.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

At my institution, RNs are not allowed to push meds. Period. Except for tPA to de-clot PICC lines. I have an opinion 'bout that, but I'm a rookie.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Koivunen posted:

What? How do you give IV pain medication? Do RNs get ACLS training?

Subcutaneous infusions and PO meds. IM Dilaudid in emergencies. The hospital's mandate is to provide sub-acute care, and it's still defining what that means. I should clarify, we don't have an actual emerg/crit care department, anything nasty gets shipped right out.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

otter space posted:

I had a manager who was very vocal about her preference for hiring men because they don't go out on maternity leave for a year at a time.

Wow that's almost illegal to admit, your manager was pretty smart!

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

LordAnkh posted:

My thing is also how long they'll keep the job for you until you graduate. I mean if I apply now in February who says that they have to keep my position until July when I'm licensed? But if I apply in May or June then it's less time for them to wait.

You're overestimating the speed of bureaucracy. Seriously don't put it off any longer.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Weebly posted:

drat, my hospital just instituted $10/hr extra incentive pay for this and next month.

What? Why and how? Is every single full timer on vacation?

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

The knowledge that you can appeal a firing, and that it can't be dropped on you literally the day you walk in, is enough to justify having unions. America is hosed.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

MurderBot posted:

First week of PhD classes are in an orientation setting.

I feel as if the DNP PhD colleagues of mine are literally the bottom of the barrel nurses that found out they could get part of their school paid for if they sign a 50 year contract to work in rural healthcare or as one put it "I got fired and I figured that when I show my boss I'm a DNP she'll regret that decision!"

I also found out that you become a bully when you question a PhD Candidate on her research and the flaws you picked out when she presented to all of us.

At least my advisor agreed with me... Friends in the right places I guess.

Sounds like you're in hell. My sympathies.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

I've forgotten SO much Pharm just a year out and I still bat a better average than some of our float RPNs. We memorized a ton of psych meds that I've never given since school, and right after my textbook came out, a ton of hot new puffers dropped onto the market. Most medications can't kill a patient right away and as long as you know the ones that can, you'll be fine, specifically your insulins/coags/cornucopia of common heart meds. As a nurse the PRN's you'll advocate for the most will likely be comfort-measure things such as anxiolytics, opioids, fun wound stuff like Santyl, palliative goodies like nozinan/scopolamine, etc. Complex heart medications, antibiotics and immunosurpressants are neat, but won't be your scope to titrate.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Annath posted:

The things we are expected to chart on every patient every shift (nights, because that's what I work. Days don't have to do weights for example):

Shift physical assessment x 3
Vitals x 3
Weight x 1
IV site assessment(s) x 2 (per IV site)
Foley assessment (if applicable) x 2
Schmid fall assessment x 2
Hourly Rounds x 12

Missing any of the above can technically result in a write up, AFAIK.

If you're not in ICU this is RIDICULOUS. Who has time to get this done with 4-5 patients that I'm assuming are peeing, pooping, have feeds/IVs going? Fall assessments twice per shift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Any Canadian nurses have opinions on Athabasca for Master's? Out of my grad cohort, 9/10 went from BScN almost immediately into an Athabasca MN for management/nurse educator roles. Which, to me, is too easy and makes me question the applicability/marketplace value of the degree. But I may be wrong so I'm curious to hear from folks with experience.