Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

Total War! posted:

Just a word of warning, when a woman becomes a nurse and works in a hen house for at least 10 years, she enters a chrysalis and emerges a super bitch even if she used to be pleasant to be around. Plan accordingly guys; have beer for when you get home, or perhaps pick up a cigarette habit.

Don't argue with me you liberal PC jerks, I know what I'm talking about

Great to know, heh. I'm contemplating the move from IT to Nursing, and I'm on a 1-yr waiting list. I'm looking forward to doing something that I think will actually be somewhat rewarding, but I've also heard there's a lot of poo poo (and not just in the literal sense) to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.
I've been reading a bit online and have seen a few people say that the job market is fairly gloomy for new grad nurses in Cincinnati. Anyone know if that's really the case? I'm not sure what to expect pay or location wise - I'd rather work in a hospital than in a nursing home, but beggars can't be choosers.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

When you say 'any RN can get a decent job' what are we really talking here? I'm transitioning from IT, and by the time I finally get into the program and have to stop working at my current job, I'll be at ~40k per year. Will I be able to start at least somewhere close to that after getting my RN?

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Thanks for the info! I've been reading some on the 'net and heard that a lot of the nice hospitals in Cincinnati aren't hiring new grads really. I'll have to see if I can't find out places that are and what they're paying.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

AquaVita posted:

Really depends on how good you are and how good you interview. ICU is tough in any area, but you can do it if you set your sights on it early enough.

Just try to avoid med-surg. It's the most :smith: out of all of them.

I thought you basically had to work med-surg for a few years before you could move to ICU/ER etc?

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Nope, that's how it used to be.

I went straight from Nursing school to the Surgical Intensive Care Unit, where the fresh heart surgeries/transplants and the likely to code folk go. They throw you into an internship(full salary) though at my hospital where for like 4 months you have one day of week of class and you work with a preceptor though.

Also it helps to get an externship. Try to get one during your last year of school, because if you have one you are pretty much guaranteed a job where you externed.

The last semester of school I work one night a week in the SICU then like 2 months before graduation they called me and asked if I wanted the position when I graduated because they were receiving a crapload of apps about the internship and wanted to know.

Wow... that's really good to know. I'd love to try ER or ICU (although I don't have my RN yet, so maybe that will change as I get more experience in a hospital).

There's a VA hospital near me - I'll have to give them a call since I can't seem to find a website with jobs, and see if they offer that deal you mentioned. That would rock!

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Bunway Airlines posted:

Sounds about right, thanks for the help. Does anyone have specific experience working in women's health/reproductive health areas?

I had to resist the temptation to talk about my in-depth experience working with women's reproductive areas... :smug:

Honestly, I was very impressed with the Labor and Delivery nurses when my wife gave birth to our son. If it wasn't amazingly awkward for a guy to be in that department, I would absolutely love it (note: I say this with absolutely no OTJ experience with this).

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Quote is not edit. UGH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Are there any thoughts out there as to what may or may not happen with the health care proposal? How would that affect nursing jobs (availability, pay, demand, etc)?