Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
anyone a Nurse anesthetist or going through the CRNA program? I'm going for my BSN right now and am really considering doing the 1 year of ICU + CRNA route. What was your GPA upon graduating/being accepting into your schools CRNA program? Is the schoolwork more/less rigorous than clinicals? Just want to know what to expect as far as the school part goes. If you're already a nurse anesthetist, what's your salary like?

edit: left out the As.

Fatty Patty fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

bump :)

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

does anyone have experience with moving to another country? I plan on moving to NZ in about 10 years and I want to know what it is I'll have to do to be recognized over there, if anything.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

Ears posted:

Hey All - I have an interesting situation - I'm ready to start a BSN->RN program, but had to declare bankruptcy a year ago to hang onto my house.

Now that I have my life together, how do I get student loans to pay for schooling? If I had a spare $35K laying around, I wouldn't have had to screw up my credit.

Any suggestions? This whole financial aid thing is giving me fits.

I think your questions would be answered here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2250971&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

lately I've heard about a lot of people who are graduating with degrees where they can't find jobs then heading to their local CC/back to school to get a nursing/similar degree. How is this affecting the job market?

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

anyone know if their hospitals offer a relocation bonus?

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

Etrips posted:

So what maternity books are you all using that are still in school or have graduated recently? We have a custom edition textbook with about 1500~ pages missing and it's the most terrible piece of crap I've ever seen.

we used this one: http://www.amazon.com/Maternity-Nursing-Deitra-Leonard-Lowdermilk/dp/0323066615

It's decent, and has a pretty good study website on Evolve: https://evolve.elsevier.com/cs/product/9780323074520?role=student

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

anyone have any suggestions for a new grad (graduate in May) that wants to relocate? I'll be licensed in a compact state but I'm willing to do either!

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

Yarbald posted:

I passed my last semester with an A! My preceptorship starts on Thursday, and I graduate May 8. I'm so excited.

Except for shelling out almost $600 to take my NCLEX.

wtf? what state do you live in?

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

Lacertine posted:

You will be put in situations every single day where you will either have to chose to cut corners, or stay 3 hours past your shift.

if this is your experience maybe you should look for a job in a different facility? on a general floor with a 1:4 ratio I certainly don't feel this way "every single day" and if I did I think I would burn out fairly quickly. a 1:4 ratio with other staff who are always willing to help rarely leaves me feeling like I have to cut corners for my patients.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

Lacertine posted:

I'd love to know where you work that has you at a consistent 1:4 ratio, that isn't either a step-down unit, ICU, PACU, or isn't located in California.

You hear about these dream hospitals every once in a while but these stories are few and far between, at least in my experience and the experiences of pretty much every other nurse I worked with/went to school with.

small community hospital with ~150 beds, my ratio has never been higher than 1:6 and is on average 1:4. general med/surg floor.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

any suggestions on scrubs that aren't lint magnets?

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

LoveMeDead posted:

I'm absolutely in love with Koi pants. I like their tops too. I have to wear black right now, so even the smallest amount of lint shows and they aren't bad.

my uniform is all black and I have a cat and a dog, so it's super important. I'll check out Grey's Anatomy and Koi, thanks

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

more scrubs talk: anyone have any stuff from Blue Sky? I get free shipping from them and the designs are great, whats the quality comparable to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

Roki B posted:

Nursing Megathread: Shoving tubes up various holes and getting yelled at by doctors

I feel like I raise my voice with/get more angry at doctors than they do at me. Maybe it's because my unit is mostly residents