Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chickster
Feb 21, 2008

"colon oh"
Reading through this thread is so weird. LPNs are way different in the states than in Canada, or so it seems. Here, the norm is two years of schooling for LPN and if you're in the BSN program (aka the RN program here), you have to do two years before you can take the LPN licensing exam, rather than just one year. I think they are allowed to go for an RCA after one year, but not LPN.

I'm not sure if it's the same elsewhere, but the LPN program that I am in takes time to teach RN tasks to us (not in depth, but just enough) so that we are aware of what "should" happen in certain situations with our patients. LPNs starting wage is 3 dollars less than the RN. I think we start at $21.50/hour. The RN maxes out at 30 bucks and the LPN maxes at 27.

I think it's a little strange that the OP has only the RN choices listed for the "What does it take to be a nurse?" question, since LPN/LVNs are nurses as well. It's pretty lovely that people -- especially other nurses -- continue to shaft the LPN/LVN roles. They are not always less educated, either. Having a smaller scope of practice would have been a better way of writing that out.

That was just a random spew I had to get out before I could move on...

That said, what I really came in this thread for was to ask about everyone's experience with palliative care. I've chosen to do palliative care for my preceptorship. How did it feel for you; what were some common mistakes; what areas did you feel the most unprepared for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chickster
Feb 21, 2008

"colon oh"

Google Embryo posted:

Hey Chickster, I think the reason there's very little reference to LPNs in this thread is because in most areas in the US, they're trying to phase out LPN programs completely. I know around here (Atlanta), it's almost impossible to even find an LPN program.

Thank you for that insight. I think I remember hearing about this and just let it slip my mind completely. LPNs here are just broadening their scope year after year so that we aren't behind the RNs by very much (hence the pay ranges being decently close). Hospitals still hire us by the handful (yay).