Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

So, I just got out of a psych ward literally five hours ago and I have to say, I was incredibly impressed by the nurses working there. One RN in particular, Mary Ann, was freaking amazing and I have no idea how she managed to say the right thing at the right time constantly. Anyway, though I was hideously depressed, I still found myself kind of enjoying talking to the other patients and helping them to work through things. Eun, a manic depressive Korean woman who happened to be my roommate, was especially interesting to talk to, and I really felt like I bonded with her. Even though I didn't understand half the things she said and I know she's probably never going to have a 'normal' happy life, I really enjoyed talking through her manic stages and just kinda managing her, making sure she wasn't getting herself into trouble and talking to her when she needed it.

What's being a psych nurse like? What kind of jobs are out there for it? I've always kinda wanted to do this, but the stay in the psych ward made me realize just how influential and meaningful someone working at a psych ward can be. Problem is, I am awful at science and math. Seriously. I like psychology and sociology much more, to be honest, and I know nursing takes a lot of math and science. Any other ideas for psych ward jobs?

And btw, all of the goon psych ward nurses have no idea how much you help. From Mary Ann tossing me a beanbag bear to squeeze when my anxiety was awful to the nurse who gave me a xanax off the record because she knew the doctor on call would have given me a sedative that would have been way too much to the nurse who checked up on me after reading my mental health survey to make sure I was okay. They made much more of a difference than the psychiatrist and psychologist did. They were there for me when I just needed a safe place to be and someone to help me when I needed it. So thanks nurses, your patients appreciate you, even if we don't tell you or act like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU