Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good n plenty
Jun 14, 2008

Hello Nurses
My aunt is a NP, now practicing in Las Placitas, New Mexico. After graduating, she lived several places around the country, working at any nearby hospital for two or three years, after which time she'd take an extended trip out of the country. She's settled now, but the idea of being free to go/do what you choose due to universal need for nurses to this day strikes me as incredibly appealing.

My mother graduated with a BA in elementary ed, is now 50 and is returning to our local community college to get her associate's in nursing. I'm enrolled at UNC-CH, currently majoring in linguistics, though that may change very soon due to my own research about the nursing profession and my mother's (to me inspiring) example.

So, I've got a few questions about nursing!
Is there any downside to this kind of "transient nurse" behavior? I'd assume that 10 years experience in one hospital might lead to generally higher pay at than 10 years at several, but I'm no expert. Is the kind of freedom I described typical? Is the nursing degree in America comparable to international standards (ie, does earning a BSN open overseas job opportunities?) Have any of you nurses worked with Doctors Without Borders (if so, experiences?) What if I'm a little squeamish around blood (only partially serious question)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU