Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
I'm looking at Nursing Schools in Albuquerque and right now the one with the shortest wait list for clinicals is Apollo college...

Looking it up it seems to be an ADN program for profit place.

Anyone have any experiences with this place postive or negative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
Does it matter where you get your ADN?

Reason I'm asking is my local community college has a good program which no longer has a wait list but a metric fuckton of prereqs for admission, yet Apollo College has ads up saying they can get you an RN in as little as 18 months. If I go in with some degree mill associates will that hurt me in the hiring process?

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
Albuquerque NM weighing in, I checked the 3 big hospitals here, all 3 just say Graduate from a Nursing program, or ADN nursing as requirements, no experience for drat near everything, University of New Mexico Hospitals do really want you to speak a second language, Spanish, Navajo or one of the other Native languages but it's more of a preferred thing. I guess it depends on your area and the staffing

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
Best of luck there, I've started the Liberal arts prereqs for nursing, then I have to petition the school for admission then take a basic patient care class before starting the nursing cirriculium. so I've got at least a year before I start the core classes.

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
A Littman Cardiology 2 scope is what comes highly recommended, check online for the best deal, yeah it ain't cheap, but it will get you through school and in to your career.

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
I have a Littman Classic from my days as an EMT, I think that'll serve me well for nursing school

patb01
Jul 4, 2008

oneinchhard posted:

I am currently a software developer, and I HATE my career. I am so tired of "adding shareholder value". So I signed up to take pre-reqs for the nursing program at Portland CC, which apparently had a fast track into the BSN at OHSU. I'm a little nervous starting a new career at 36, but I figure now or never. Haven't stepped foot on a school campus in a LONG time. Turns out a bunch of children go to college now, not adults like myself when I went to college 16 years ago :)

I know the feeling, I'm 37 and after spending years doing the call center circuit, and trying to do SOMETHING, I first got my EMT Basic and worked an ambulance but let's face it, I couldn't live on the salary so I had to restart the circuit, I've started prerequisites for Nursing at my local CC, and yes, nothing makes you feel older then going in to a class and you're older then everyone there.

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
Wait... Devry has a nursing program???

That is NOT going to end well. I'd heard of ITT's nursing school, and I know there's Apollo or whatever they're calling themselves.

Other news, starting prereqs at my community college, apparantly they have a basic skils check off before you can start your RN, which you can bypass with a CNA class, aside from checking a pulse/blood pressure, what else could this entail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
I'm not even sure that a state would license someone without clinical experience.