Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
That's awful! You should consider posting in the Healthcare Stories thread. Lots of American RNs there to provide input.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837778&pagenumber=185&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I went to a respectable nursing university, our IP placement options were limited to the local health integration network with which the university had an agreement. Most students ranked 20 choices for various hospitals and units and an algorithm placed them. Some students including myself filled out specialty applications for more challenging units, and a panel selected from those applicants based on merit. My university coordinated the whole endeavour, at no point did I reach out to the hospital or pre-emptively select a preceptor. A lot of really good students decided to forego specialty applications in order to try their luck with the algorithm to varying degrees of success. Some people got their first choice (always labour and delivery lol), while others got stuck doing public health for some school board which isn't exactly rife with learning opportunities.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
While I agree that IP placement isn't as significant as nursing students think it is in the thick of it, the hospital I did my practicum at has an expedited hiring process for its IP students because the admin figures they'll require less training.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Marchegiana posted:

Just took the NCLEX, cut off after 75. I'm just salty that I've got a Girl Scout thing tonight so I can't go out drinking til that's over

I made my best friend book off the day after my nclex in anticipation.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Hi I'm a dumb idiot from Canada.

What's the deal with nursing in the USA? My impression is that you guys have RNs with associate degrees (thats two years of college?) and BScN RNs (four years). What's the wage difference?
I'm a BScN RN, which is the default RN here (there is also RPNs, which would be your LPN equivalent), I wrote the NCLEX some time ago. It's possible for me to have an American passport in the future, so I was just curious about which states are good for RNs to work in, which states to avoid, etc.
I currently work at a big research hospital on the nursing resource team, which means I float around to every unit and have a pretty broad range of skills.

computer angel fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 1, 2019

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I appreciate the answers so far. The starting wage for my union hospital is $33 CDN. I've been on med-surg units with 3-1 on days and 5-1 on nights, up to 5-1 on days and 7-1 on nights. We don't usually have too many PSWs around to help out.

I always wondered... Do you guys have to keep track of everything you take out of the supply room?

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Does anyone have any experience moving from Canada to the USA to nurse or vice versa? I feel like it may not be a complicated process getting CNO to communicate my license (NCLEX) to the nursing body of whichever state I move to, but I've been surprised by extensive bureaucracy before.
I'm not talking about travel nursing, I have dual citizenship.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
The NCLEX isn't that hard, you just have to understand what each question is actually asking. I learned a Canadian curriculum, so when I started practicing on Uworld the structure of the content was vastly different than what I was familiar with iirc. I passed the NCLEX in 45 minutes because the study program I used forced my brain to think in NCLEX terms.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Does anyone have any experience with or recommendations for a resume writing service? I need to update my CV and I'm exceptionally bad at finding a concise and relevant way to describe all the poo poo I do.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

pyknosis posted:

There's a great service right here on the forums, I can vouch for this dude from my own experience

I sent them a message. Thanks a lot!

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I worked doing nursing adjacent research at a fancy hospital throughout my degree. When I graduated I applied for an RN job in the hospital I consolidated at (different hospital). I don't even think the interviewer asked me any questions at all about my research job, all she cared about was that I did my IP with them.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I'm transfering my license from Canada to USA and I'd really rather write the NCLEX again than continue with this bureaucratic nightmare. At least the NCLEX ends eventually.

Fyi if you sanitize your hands too much your fingerprints wear down and your livescan fingerprint verification is rejected :)

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Keds with Birkenstock insoles, I call them my sleeper shoes.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
How many American RNs buy their own liability insurance, meaning not provided by their employer?

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
What's a patient care access RN position?

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Ravenfood posted:

Sounds like corporate-speak for a care coordinator. Calls, books appointments, sorts out referrals, probably deals with insurance somehow.

boring, pass.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Nice. What was the order she didnt understand?

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
What's the difference between an ADN and an LPN? When I worked in Canada there were plenty of RPNs (LPN equivalent) but obviously no ADNs because that's not a thing there, and the RPNs made less and couldn't technically care for acute patients even though they did all the time. The hospital I currently work at in the states has no LPNs and only a few ADNs who have to attain their BScN within a year because they're trying to be Magnet hospital or whatever it's called.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I got one last week and I'll get my second one Jan 8 god willing. My hospital just sent an email and those interested had to opt in and set up an appointment. There was no algorithm, CNA, RN, and doc alike all in line. Feels good man.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
My educator wants me to precept this new nursing resident who she describes as overconfident in his abilities because he's a former paramedic. She thinks I'm direct enough to set him straight. I'm extremely not looking forward to it.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Gift certificate to figs so she can buy some nice scrubs. A good stethoscope with her name etched in it. I personally like boring stuff like good pens, expensive multi ink pens, mini sharpies on keychains, compression socks lol. A fancy smart watch. I'm personally in love with my star trek com badge reel but you can get her something more personal.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Cacafuego posted:

My company (a CRO) is supposed to be starting a RN to Clinical research associate (CRA) soon for nurses who want to transition to clinical research. We’ve moved to a more remote/regional type of work and the industry has never been more competitive for salary. If that’s something you or anyone else is interested in, let me know and I’ll pass on when they actually start the program.

Curious!

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Agreed.
Would it have been policy to double check meds prior to administration? I've questioned many a prescription even with senior rgns - albeit not in the ITU setting.

I had to look up what the drug she was supposed to give was (versed) - and are people seriously getting Midazolam as sedation for a scan? To someone with a brain injury?

I skimmed the CMS report to see the context, seems like the patient requested medication for anxiety. At my hospital, it's not uncommon to give patients a little bit of lorazepam, which is stronger than midazolam, on request, especially if the patient has a history using the medication (as the victim did, according to the report).
What really speaks to me is the apparent lackadaisical workplace culture at Vanderbilt. I bet this nurse didn't just decide to give a bigtime med like midazolam without the order being verified by pharmacy just in this one isolated incident. It seems like this poo poo probably happens all the time which is the scary part.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

scribe jones posted:

at the facility where we did our med-surg clinicals they had to do dual sign-offs on tube feeds. turns out there's a reason!

I'm thinking about the feed bottles and wondering how you even spike that.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Etrips posted:

For 2021, I clocked in at 643 hours of OT.

My charge did around 1100 OT hours, at $180/hr OT rate. drat.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Edit: meh

computer angel fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 20, 2022

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Ah, dang, I just emailed myself my "pop quiz" that I give my students. Ah well.

So I've been in the process of applying for license in NY and have to go through CGFNS as I'm from Canada. What I didn't anticipate is how slow of a service they would be. Although, like any agency that relies on paper work I really shouldn't be so surprised. They processed the first part of my application in a matter of days but another part has been going on 4+ weeks (and they won't confirm if they've received it, unlike the other parts) which is very frustrating.

I feel you. Two years ago i transferred my Ontario license to Florida. The process was glacial and there was no way to track the progress.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I really don't want to study for my ONS certification but my course expires in a few months so I must ...

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

pyknosis posted:

just take the test it's not that hard

(or at least it wasn't 5 years ago)

That's reassuring, but I've been known to be stupid so my mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Lester Shy posted:

I'm gonna take an A&P prereq over the spring just to see if I can even wrap my head around going back to school at 35. Anybody here have a similar trajectory?

I finished my BSN at 32. I make very good money now and I never have to worry about finding a job. Nursing is very very hard work and somewhat anxiety inducing. If you can deal with that I'd say it's a good choice.