Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Nursing seems really interesting to me

I have a BA in history and have mostly worked a bunch of unfulfilling jobs since graduation. Nursing seems interesting, and I'm in the process of applying to several local schools. Pre-reqs aren't too bad for someone who already has a bachelors; I've just got to knock out 2 semesters of A&P and microbio and I'm good to go.

I'm curious what the work environment's like for guys, mainly. Especially more ah...traditionally male guys. I'm 6'1" 200 lbs and I have a shaved head and a bunch of tattoos , am I going to be judged negatively for this in interviews or have trouble fitting into a female dominated workplace?

I'm also interested in Neonatal nursing as a career goal, is this an uncommon specialty for men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Tweeze posted:

There are a few guys that work in neonatal nursing, my OB teacher was the only male nursing teacher I had actually so I don't think its uncommon, he worked in the NICU at one of the area hospitals. I don't think having tattoos or a shaved head is really a big deal its a profession that has a ton of jobs so if you are competent that's really all that matters.

Cool. I've gotten poo poo for it in a few office job interviews; I was hoping nursing wasn't the same way.