Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
After working in a pharmacy and sitting on my CNA license for 5 months I just accepted an offer for a med surg night shift job. Baby steps but I'm hyped. Any tips for hospital life, night shifting, or being a good new CNA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Had new hire orientation for my hospital system yesterday and they had the hundred of us watch a 7 minute long video of nurses and doctors saying how terrible unions are and that everyone knows unions promise you the world but ultimately lodge themselves between staff and management. Why bother with a group that only wants to delay responses to your concerns? :downs:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
You could always just do some laundry between shifts.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
In my area the hospitals pay CNAs to get their ADNs and then pay those RNs to get their BSNs. You have to work under contract and can't move very far for a couple years but it's just job security combined with less debt imo.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Do you do clinicals there? If so talk to the unit managers and see if they need extra help on whatever days you're available. Or ask your instructor if they know anyone.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Lots of people can't handle aggressive confrontation, especially getting yelled at. Lots of people go through rough childhoods, or are in the middle of domestic issues, and getting yelled at can bring up really bad memories. Don't beat yourself up over it. If your coworkers are good they'll have your back.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

^^ You've obviously never had anyone close to you die.

On the other hand, a CNA will also let you see if it is something that you even want to do without putting a lot of cash into it. With that said, I would not do that; I would just shadow a bunch to see exactly what the gently caress it is you will be doing and then just find an RN program an a community college or hospital program. Hospitals will pay for you to complete your BSN once you start working. You could start taking prereq classes, but it sounds more like you might benefit from more exposure to the field.

On the other other hand, the hospital in my area pays CNAs to get their RN and gives them a job after, but it's through a rather competetive program and it's a who's who of who you know. There's also tuition assistance offered to all employees (housekeeping, food services, everyone) to get prereqs done. It's a yearly limit and covers about 60% of the RN program tuition, so it's good free money. They pay for the BSN too. They're great in that regard.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Madbullogna posted:

My fiance has been a CNA/CMA at the same nursing home for just over 11 years now. He's been looking to advance, though still narrowing down want he wants for this next phase of his life. (He tends to sway between going to school full-time to get his RN, or taking just a few courses and getting either his Medical Assisting w/Phlebotomy Cert, or his Pharmacy Tech Cert). I see how exhausted he is every day, and think that is his hang-up about pursuing an RN, and why the Med Asst or Pharmacy Tech are appealing for a 'change of pace'. I'll tell him if he does want to go after his RN, that he needs to look at local hospitals around here to see what type of tuition assistance/reimbursement they offer, and possibly try getting on board with them to take advantage of whatever they may offer.

Definitely! My hospital system has hired CNAs from nursing homes who have only a couple years of experience. The thing is that they'll only hire those who have the actual CNA certification. Some nursing home "CNAs" aren't really certified.

Another thing specific to my place that might apply to others is that the hiring managers will usually wait for a phone call from the applicant before looking into hiring them. It's good for nepotism because nobody who doesn't work at the hospital knows this. So if you know anyone who works where he wants to go, try getting in touch.

Hospitals pay their CNAs more and the work is usually easier. And it will be a step towards upward mobility rather than a dead end sidegrade like becoming a pharm tech would be. Going from CNA to nurse is a lot simpler than going from pharm tech to pharmacist.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
My GPA was worse than my coworker, but my TEAS score creamed hers so now she's paying something like $40k for school while I get away with around $12k. :awesome:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Congrats. I just finished the first semester of my RN program. :3:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Your schedule is not compatible with nursing school clinicals, even just for the first semester.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I like the post although sex after work doesn't work for me, because for whatever reason, even if I pee right after sex, I will wake up to pee a couple hours later without fail and god is it irritating.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Related, I took my NCLEX yesterday and today confirmed I passed it. What's up everyone

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Yeah idk what retirement package would make you take a 20k cut and lose a cushy job.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Sorry but ungloved dick touching at CNA pay? Wrong story to brag about imo but good job keeping the walls clean I guess

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
edit: nevermind

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 10, 2018

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
When I was taking prereqs prior to my program, there was a lady who sat in front of me in microbiology who always reeked of cigarettes because she was at bars before class. I was upset when she showed up to the program orientation the following year because I thought I'd have to smell cigarette stink every day for two years, but after the first semester she never stunk again and she was way better with patients than the 19 year olds who hadn't learned to talk to people yet.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Our par hasn't worked in years

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

I work in nursing informatics. My bedside background is med-surg and ICU. I've been doing it for about 6 years now.

Informatics is the poo poo. What do you want to know?

Did you get an informatics degree while working?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
You can get a masters in nursing before taking the NCLEX? Holy moly.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The charge nurse where I work who tells new nurses, "oh, they're ok" because she doesn't want rapid responses called when she's around took 3 attempts to pass. I've seen two new nurses since working here get switched to day shift for closer watch by management because they followed her advice instead of actually intervening. She's been working here 17 years and shmoozes to management like a schoolyard bully and everyone knows she is untouchable, vengeful and self-preserving. She's more concerned about the Bath and Bodyworks yearly candle sale than any patient on the floor and certainly any new nurse.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The only reason I clock in early to look up patients is to make sure that lazy rear end Margaret isn't going to pass her 5 o clock abx on to me for the dozenth time.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Mentally preparing to shave my beard off if it hits the fan in the coming weeks/months. Only one PAPR in our ER so my pale face will have to reuse the same N95 I've never been fitted for that I will keep in a paper bag with my name on it. Maybe I'll doodle something on the bag.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

The outside is gonna get colonized with Corona you dope

...is what we all said when we heard that masks are rationed one per nurse per shift and we are provided with big brown paper bags by administration

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Nurse managers in my facility are being retrained for critical care bedside nursing if they have "recent" ICU experience. One manager has been in her position for 11 years and is being retrained.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

boquiabierta posted:

Any thoughts on remote nursing jobs? I'm an RN in the U.S. but I currently live in Spain, and the process to get my nursing license co-validated over here is a loving nightmare and I'm pretty sure they'll reject me anyway (they don't seem to understand that my accelerated nursing program truly was equivalent to a four-year BSN, and only see the time I was actually in school). So I'm thinking about other options like trying to do some remote nursing job, but I don't know what those entail -- dealing with insurance and care management, mostly, I assume? If anyone has knowledge I'd appreciate hearing any perspectives at all.

A co-worker of mine did a year working from home taking calls from patients with Humana insurance. They sent her a computer and secure phone, she said she never interacted with a live person during the interview process or time working there, and she made $40/hour giving half-scripted information about disease processes to the clients. I'm considering making the switch because the hospital system is getting worse by the day and the pay is very competitive where I live compared to floor nursing. She only stopped doing it because she felt cooped up in her home office and the hospital had a CNIII position opened up. She still makes less than what Humana paid and she works nights.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The nursing home is their house so if the nursing home benefits from taking this other so-called house, then the patient's house just got better!

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I've seen a handful of ICU nurses get caught diverting, one with a syringe in his arm passed out in the bathroom, and they all got to choose between rehab and termination. None lost their license. One who finished the rehab later took a covid contract and got like $120/hr for 12 weeks, he's probably high as hell right now.

If your employer is dashing licenses for marijuana and audio bugging the med room, well that blows for you buddy.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Every job I've seen gives $0.50-$1/hr for having the BSN so community college online pays for itself rather quickly. Lol if you get a nursing adn or bachelor's from university

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
How much of it is cool science versus data entry that they hire RNs to do? Are you doing assessments/intake on people? Chart audits? What is the job?

Nvm I went through Cacafuego's post history, sounds neat.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 19, 2021

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Your reason for pursuing advanced practice is to contribute to the profession. Are you a minority or somehow disadvantaged? This is your sob story essay, too.

Your reason for choosing the master's is more straightforward, as it's the next step in the academic ladder. You could relate this to the clinical ladder structure of nursing, too. Do you need the master's because you want a doctorate, or a specific position? Know anyone with a master's who is an inspiration to you or used the degree to advance their practice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Zipperelli. posted:

gently caress yes.

Based on some irresponsible emotionally-charged oathmaking on my part I think I'm still obligated to name my next child UWorld. For what it's worth.