Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I looked it up on a few other agencies. While not declared brain dead it still is an impressive story of luck and recovery. 15 minute downtime for an arrest, good thing she was (relatively) young.
e: also one of the articles quotes someone saying "she's only using 25% of her heart", which I don't really understand what they mean. Extensive infarct damage? Coronary vessel occlusion? aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Going with a very low ejection fraction after her arrest. If they literally mean that her EF was 25, then I'm impressed it was that good after that long a downtime. The way the article is written makes everything seem a lot more "miraculous" than it probably was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

It’s been ten years since I got my BSN but if I remember correctly the only real difference in the curriculum was a community health and a management course.

That and a research course or two.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Wage difference varies by hospital/system, but it usually isn't that much.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Roki B posted:

the opposite, actually

Huh. Weird, both systems I've been at have given something like 50 cents an hour for variance, and I hadn't heard of too many places offering that much more from travelers. Might just be looking in the wrong places.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think I prefer my old hospital's style where they didn't have dedicated charge nurses or code nurses, but instead would just have an appropriately trained icu nurse be assigned to it that day. So you'd come in and find out if you had a patient assignment or were charge/code, or all three depending on staffing. It spread it around and made the whole unit a little more prepared in codes and cognizant of flows both in the unit and hospital.

Either way though, congratulations!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nine of Eight posted:

My experience in L&D was the complete opposite of yours; patients weren’t enthused to have me but the staff was super supportive. Moral of the story is uh, unit culture is a land of contrasts?

This was mine.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Just give mag for everything.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

hobbez posted:

Is it a reasonable request to ask for a shadow shift before taking my first RN job on a med surg floor? I am getting good vibes from my manager, floor seems diverse, pay is very good (compared to similar jobs) and there is 3 months of guaranteed preceptorship. All around seems like a solid first gig but would still like to test the cultural waters

Absolutely. I was told that not asking for a shadowing experience is a bad sign in an applicant, honestly. That sounds pretty nice all around though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
No she took max time to fail in 75 questions.

E: I assume

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 17, 2020

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Not being able to clock in more than 5 or 6 before your shift starts has been normal everywhere I work. Don't work for free.

Also looking up patients for 30+ minutes never helped me. That's what report is for.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Etrips posted:

Ahhh you must never have had the "I've been busy with my other patients all day, I don't know a thing about this one!" schpeel.

I have. I tell them they need to know regardless and then go read up on them instead of getting report. Or find out who does know and ask. Still not worth reading up before report.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

B-Mac posted:

Is there a committee that looks at each case or it more guideline/algorithm based?

My system is making a committee purely to take it out of the hands of frontline providers.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I wish I could help more. The psych NPs I've talked to all really liked their lives and every psych nurse I've ever talked to hated everyone and everything. I also got the idea that the psych NPs had such a different curriculum that any comparison between them and AGACNP in terms of prep, difficulty, or the viability of direct entry would be a basic guess. I know all of the direct entry people in my program struggled for awhile, but with psych? No idea. I'm sorry.

(I also got basically 0 psych training in my program, fwiw)

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 1, 2020

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Marchegiana posted:

My hospital system just instituted a hiring freeze. Basically if you're not already trained to deal with COVID patients then we can't use you.

Also, since the hospitals in this godforsaken country are for-profit, they might not actually want to hire more folks if they can avoid it since all of their lucrative elective procedures just got stopped and they're having to spend a lot of money on exceedingly not-lucrative critical care.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

If you want to wear a cool white coat, be an NP (or PA), not a physician. Most of the pay, most of the respect, basically none of the debt (well except for the PAs, sorry folks) and you don't have to spend years of your life climbing a hierarchy that everyone acknowledges sucks but can never be changed for reasons.

Also the nurses are cooler to you because you know how poo poo works and no one has to lie about 1h neuro checks, I&Os or how much ativan they just gave the detoxing alcoholic.

Lol no. I'm a NP now and I'm making nowhere near the same amount of money. Like, less than a 3rd to a 5th, depending, and i dont get reimbursed for procedures either. Granted, I'm not anywhere near as useful as an attending and I didn't have to spend 5+ years of my life in a residency/fellowship to do critical care, and my schooling was both cheaper and a lot shorter, so I'm not really bummed out by it. Also definitely don't get the same respect from patients, but the perks of nurses not bullshitting you anywhere near as much helps with that. I don't regret going to NP school but I sure wouldn't say you get anywhere in the same league of salary of anyone but residents (for a better schedule, granted.) So yeah. NP school is great, and definitely was better for me than med school.

E: math may be different for other specialities, to be fair.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 8, 2020

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

computer angel posted:

How many American RNs buy their own liability insurance, meaning not provided by their employer?

Never heard of it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Seems like being an NP is mostly about not having to do any heavy lifting or other messy stuff in one's old age.

My back hurts a lot loving less that's for sure.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

computer angel posted:

What's a patient care access RN position?

Sounds like corporate-speak for a care coordinator. Calls, books appointments, sorts out referrals, probably deals with insurance somehow.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nine of Eight posted:

Your preceptor is a fuckup, but I have seen patients so hypernatremic that the doc gave them D5NS so their sodium wouldn’t go down too quickly.

gently caress, I've used 1.5% nacl for that purpose. Neuro land can get loving weird.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

computer angel posted:

What's the difference between an ADN and an LPN? When I worked in Canada there were plenty of RPNs (LPN equivalent) but obviously no ADNs because that's not a thing there, and the RPNs made less and couldn't technically care for acute patients even though they did all the time. The hospital I currently work at in the states has no LPNs and only a few ADNs who have to attain their BScN within a year because they're trying to be Magnet hospital or whatever it's called.

Degree vs license. RN and LPN are both licenses (NPs are less uniform but my CRNP is also a license, other states handle that differently.) ADN, BSN, MSN, and DNP (and PhD) are all degrees, and have no legal bearing on state practice acts, legal authority, etc. They also don't expire or need renewal and by themselves, mean nothing besides a degree of academic achievement. An RN with an MSN, DNP, or PhD is legally identical to an RN with an ADN in terms of practice authority. Passing at least an ADN degree usually qualifies you to sit for your RN licensure exam. BSN programs likewise qualify you to sit for an RN licensure exam. A MSN or DNP might qualify you for a NP certification exam, which if you pass you take to the state you wish to practice in and apply for a license, but they don't have to. Some MSN degrees are more management-based and so while they are MSNs, don't come with the required clinical time to sit for an exam.

LPNs have fewer practice rights within the U.S. than RNs and are rare outside of long-term care facilities or nursing homes. Similarly, NPs have expanded practice rights and authority compared to RNs. But those all derive from their state license, which is entirely separate from their degree of academic achievement. I know two PhD, RNs for instance. They practice identically to every ADN RN (or would if they practiced clinically but they both do research).

E: I don't know the details of CRNA licensure or I'd speak to it more.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 7, 2020

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

My workplace seems to have a lottery system where some people are receiving notice they can get the vaccine and others aren't so lucky yet. Pure randomness, I like it.

Mine did something similar. After they split people into tiers, first based on unit type, then subdivided by personal risk factors, they randomized them to two different groups on the idea that if something unexpected did happen with the vaccine (like a fever for a day or two) they wouldn't knock out the whole covid-ICU staff at once.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Talk about how smart iv pumps are the devil.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Marchegiana posted:

I got my third shot last Friday and it knocked me out for the weekend. Chills, low grade fever, body aches. Didn't feel better until halfway through Sunday. My last reaction only lasted 12 hours so this one was 3 times as long for me.
I got my 3rd two days ago and have been fine. The second knocked me on my rear end though. My wife was having bad chills fever and myalgia after her 3rd though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Make the first specifically about your professional goals (what you hope to do with the degree, fairly narrowly focused) and make the other more about broader life goals like a story about why you find doing X actually important, or why this represents something important about nursing.

Admissions people love hearing about how great nursing is and nurses are, imo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

boquiabierta posted:

The Radonda Vaught verdict is terrifying. Yes, she made an egregious error, and it should've been handled by the board of nursing, not the criminal justice system. This does not make me want to return to bedside nursing. What the actual gently caress.

The part that is really getting my hackles up about it is that they apparently used her internal process improvement statements in court against her. You know, the thing where she didnt have a lawyer with her and and cooperated openly about her mistake to make it not happen again.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

boquiabierta posted:

I hadn’t even heard that part. That’s so hosed up. It’s almost like the powers that be aren’t actually interested in best practices for improving safety and patient outcomes.
Allegedly and according to rumor when I was a student with some of her coworkers there, but yeah.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Not sure that anyone is defending her so much as incensed that she is obviously being used as a scapegoat so Vanderbilt doesnt have to suffer consequences. Also the fact that her very open and clear cooperation with the internal investigation without a lawyer present being used in her trial is a loving travesty that is going to immediately shut down any kind of voluntary cooperation in terms of medical errors.

Was the loss of that trust nationwide worth jailtime (against the wishes of Murphey's family) for someone already stripped of her license?

Really, who is defending her actions? Its "Vanderbilt failed her" and "Vanderbilt threw her under the bus" everywhere I see, with a lot of "she shouldn't be a nurse anymore but given her immediate cooperation and honesty it's hard to not be sympathetic".

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

B-Mac posted:

. Secondly even if she had correctly pulled versed the patient wasn’t on any monitoring equipment. So she even if she administered a benzo she immediately walked away without even monitor the patients initial reaction.

My understanding is that she had a written order saying this was acceptable. Now, I will freely grant that I dont think writing that order should be acceptable and that she shouldn't have followed it even if it was there, but that the order was written and not immediately questioned and refused does speak to institutional flaws that may have seriously warped good practice.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

I was talking with my friend today that does travel nursing in the US today and he said yall need a co-sign for Foley insertion? The gently caress?

Very variable from place to place. I never did. Also never had to cosign insulins, but the place my wife works at they have to do both. On the other hand I had to have someone there with me doing central line dressing changes and the nurses there don't. And that's not a state thing, it's just facility.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zipperelli. posted:

:stare: seriously??
Yeah. It was just never a thing where I worked. Long acting ones like glargine came from pharmacy either in pens or eventually pre-filled injectables, and short-acting ones were either pens or drawn up from vials by the nurse and given. Neither had any kind of cosigning requirement when I was there. I think short-acting ones from vials did require cosigns from another nurse about 5 years before I started there, but they dropped that before I started, seemingly without issue.

Most of that was driven by the shift towards pens instead of multi-use vials, but a few still needed to be drawn up and we never had to sign. Only medications I can remember having to cosign or witness were either trial drugs, blood, or chemotherapies.

And yeah, they have to cosign every insulin administration where my wife works. Not sure why, assuming they had a rash of people slamming full vials into people.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 6, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

slurm posted:

I accidentally clicked on this thread and holy poo poo nurses make like 2-300k? I'm in the wrong business!
Very, very rarely and only by taking a ton of overtime and loving awful assignments in the middle of what was a huge staffing crisis.

Realistically you're looking at 80.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Oh for sure, "general aviation" is the second worst possible financial decision anyone can make, after "cash bonfire"
Boats.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm needing to move cities. Currently in Columbus, Ohio and it isn't really working out for me city-wise, though professionally it is ok. Anyone worked in Maine, specifically Portland area? Mostly I'm looking for a smaller city that is nevertheless cool, which means I'm every young-ish professional flocking to every city in the country and gentrifying everything.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Koivunen posted:

Ever considered Minneapolis/St. Paul, or MN in general?

Actually yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I did an ABSN and eventual MSN NP program. I think I would have been financially better off if I had done an ADN and let my work pay for the BSN by having less debt.

Of course I also would be better off if I hadn't gone for my MSN, but that should eventually pay off I hope.