Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
If any students have any questions about L&D, I'm here. Not sure if we have any other L&D nursegoons?

I work with a low-income, high-risk population and in only the last year have seen, well, most major obstetric emergencies. It's an insanely exciting, adrenaline fueled area, with far less death and tragedy than most critical care units.

And for anyone stressing about the NCLEX, don't. That poo poo is easy if you're reasonably competent and can think critically. Most people fail due to nerves and over analyzing the material. 75 questions in less than 30 minutes, BAM BOOM I'm a nurse.

Pixi fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Not to mention that a real understanding of basic A&P is absolutely necessary to even understand pathophysiology.

Nursing and nursing school is all about building a foundation of knowledge that's easy to build on -- like Legos. If you understand how the renal system works, you can easily understand the illnesses that affect the renal system. Prereqs are almost more important than actual nursing classes in that way.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.

miso posted:

Yeah, you probably never totally get rid of it. It's a sucky feeling though because you want to leave your work there where it belongs and not take it home with you, but it can be very hard not to, especially as a newbie. I was always thinking, "Did I remember to do this? I think I forgot to chart that..." etc.

I'm 1.5 years post-graduation and I still fret about poo poo like this. Granted, my patient load can change every 2 hours, so there is a lot more "transfer of care" bullshit to chart and complete. Luckily for me, no one is going to die if I forgot to document their enema. Having to double-chart in two completely separate computer programs is crap, and just encourages errors and lazy charting. :ese:

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
I loooove my rubber-strapped digital Timex. I picked it up at Costco for like $35. Waterproof, multiple alarm settings, perfect all the way around. And the strap gets itty bitty.

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Womens-Ironman-iControl-T5K046/dp/B00149TTU8/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1247607327&sr=1-38

Yes, it's pink. And AWESOME.

Any of the cheaper timex watches you can pick up on Amazon should do the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1247607...79289011&page=2

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.

Bum the Sad posted:

As far as L&D goes, I hope you like lochia!

As if. We slap a pad on them and ship them off to maternity too fast to deal with much lochia. And really, it's just blood.

However, I have come to despise Hemabate and methergine. Nothing says "fun" like a patient spewing from both ends AND bleeding out of their vagina. I had to transfer a patient to maternity the other night, with a bedpan under her rear end and her head in a basin. It just wouldn't stop!

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Labor and Delivery. Not much GYN experience (other than traipsing down to the ER with the on call OB residents for consults). What area are you specifically interested in?

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Man, I hated maternity (aka postpartum) in school, and still do. It's basically dumbed down med-surg with bloody vaginas. My continued loathing of PP probably has more to do with the dozen calls per night we get in L&D from them, usually asking one of us to come up and put in a Foley or an IV. So, basic nursing skills that they should know how to do, especially since most of the PP nurses have been nursing for 20+ years :bang:

L&D is where the action is, if you're interested in women's services. Especially if you land a sweet job in a well-funded hospital that serves a low-income, high-risk demographic. Satisfies the adrenaline junkie in me just fine, since you never really know what the hell will be rolling through the door. We had a lady come in abrupting because she rubbed cocaine on her gums for a toothache. We rushed her to the OR, opened her up, and GUSH out comes several pints of blood. Scary as hell, but it gets the adrenaline pumping.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Start looking in to nursing programs now. LifeFlight will mean a BSN (at minimum) and several years of experience in an ICU/ER environment.

If you start looking in to nursing programs after you graduate, you're looking at a long rear end road. You may have to get on a waiting list, you may have other program prerequisites to finish. If you're serious about going in to nursing, no sense in wasting time. Get on that poo poo, and hope that you can get in to a program in the next two years.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
My OR experience is limited to Obstetrics, but I have considered switching to general OR one of these days. The good AND bad part of OB surgery is that you follow the patient beginning to end -- pre-op, circulate intra-op, and recover post-op. Depending on your mood, any of those areas can be annoying and/or stressful. I know that in general OR at *most* hospitals you are confined to one area per shift, which I'm sure, again, is either good or bad depending on your mood that day.

I would probably recommend getting experience in a more critical care type of environment before switching to OR, rather than med-surg. When poo poo goes south, it can go south fast. You need to be used to being quick on your feet and calm in chaos and under a lot of stress. My unit doesn't let newbs fly solo in the OR until you've been on the floor for a few months. L&D can be very fast-paced and chaotic, and the experience has served me well in the OR on a few occasions.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
I love my Dansko clogs, and every resident I work with wears them, too. They SUCK to break in, but once you do, they are awesome. If you work in an area prone to spills of various bodily fluids, they're great for keeping your feet clean ; My legs and hips (before pregnancy) never felt tired, even if I did back-to-back c-sections and was on my feet the whole 12 hours.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.

smushroomed posted:

Passed my NCLEX-RN

Looking for a a job now

Anyone got any hot tips for jobs in Southern California? Any where from LA to SD is fine with me

I've only applied to a few hospitals, but they hate new grads for the most part. I might just got for a SNF job while I obtain my BSN

You can come work at my hospital! We pay pretty ok, our ratios are decent, and we have a nursing residency program that will allow you to go right in to NICU, ED, etc. PM me if you want the info. Nursing residency starts in July, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Email sent!