Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm considering a mid-life career change to nursing. I have a useless BA, and I've been working medicine-adjacent office jobs for the past ten years (publishing, education). The jobs are fine, but the pay is poo poo, and I've always wanted to be on the other side of it.

I have a ADN program about 45 minutes away and an accelerated second-degree-BSN program about 10. I'm leaning towards the former; it's twice as long but half as expensive, and it sounds like a lot of places will pay for your BSN once you're employed. Assuming I get into either.

I'm gonna take an A&P prereq over the spring just to see if I can even wrap my head around going back to school at 35. Anybody here have a similar trajectory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I'm somewhat anxiety-prone, but part of what spurred this on is the fact that I spent the past 7+ years taking care of my elderly parents. It was nothing close to nursing, but I feel like my caretaker-anxiety muscle got a pretty good workout. Before that, I wouldn't have even considered nursing. I'm probably still too squeamish, but everybody says you get over that quickly.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Poop, puke, a LOT of pee (setting an alarm for every day at 3AM to get up and empty a catheter because they wouldn't give us a bag big enough to last through the night) chemoradiation and its complications, enough lifting to last a lifetime (I lost a significant amount of muscle after they passed).

Nothing too hardcore, I wasn't cleaning wounds or anything like that, but I've had about a year to decompress since they passed, and the thought of going back and doing similar things for people who aren't my parents, where I actually get to leave at the end of a shift, doesn't sound so horrible.

Edit: Maybe a stupid question, but is scholarly activity ever considered in nursing applications/jobs? I have about a dozen peer-reviewed, PubMed-indexed papers to my name. Can I bring that up in applications/interviews or will they look at me like I'm a space alien?

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 16, 2024