Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MissAnthropic
Jul 28, 2002
Glad to have found this thread! Third term of six student here. I went for the BSN because I wanted it ASAP and plan to move up to Canada soon after graduating. I think I made the wrong decision in some ways, my program kinda sucks. They're transitioning in styles or some crap that's code for 'come to the school but we don't really know why'. Third term in, still haven't stuck a needle past SQ. I make A's and B's (was a 4.0 prior to the program), but I swear I'm not going to know my rear end from a hole in the ground when I get out. Maybe I should quit my much higher paying office job and do some hospital slaving.

But actually I'd like to ask...what does anyone know or not know about RNFAs? The OR has definitely been my favorite part of the clinical experience (closely followed by ICU, which is probably where I'll end up) but as far as I can tell, RNFA is some magical mystical position that exists but nowhere I've seen. Do RNs First Assist anywhere, or is it always PAs now? The explanations I've got related to having to pay RNFAs more for the greater amount of training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissAnthropic
Jul 28, 2002
As I understand it, it's pretty easy, you wouldn't even get your license in Florida. Ask one of your professors, most of them seem to be answering those questions a lot in my school. God knows you're not the only Florida new grad bailing on this miserable state.

I'm graduating with my BSN and would just like to say, no, it's not a whole lot easier for BSNs versus ADNs. We're all in the same situation here, and I'm pretty butthurt that I started one of the most 'in demand' degrees only to get to graduation and find out I have to live in bumfuck Idaho if I want to work. I can't stress enough the importance of working in a hospital as a tech or something while you're in school--it's about the only in you're going to have. I speak as someone who didn't do this and instead kept their far better paying office job. I'm now pretty much totally screwed.

Right now everyone's berserking over the exit exam and the NCLEX. Frankly I think the job situation we're all coasting into is a lot more to worry about. There are kids hanging out in the lab that graduated a year ago and still don't have work.

I visited New Orleans over the summer and I actually really loved it there. It's not bumfuck Idaho. I was wondering...shot in the dark really, but does anyone know about the hiring situation over there? I should think there'd be a pretty large demand for health care folks over there even now, since they seem to be recruiting people in general to move there still. I just...really, really don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. :(

MissAnthropic
Jul 28, 2002

XausF1 posted:

I'm curious, but did any nurses in here or know of anyone has or had a fear of needles going into a nursing program? If so, how did you/they overcome it?

As said in the thread, exposure exposure. I found actually that exposure didn't do it for me nearly as much as, well..having it done. I got a lot of surgery done and by the time I was finished with blood tests and IV starts, I was pretty desensitized. But give blood or something. Having to feel it and face it seemed to me to do a lot more than seeing even a thousand sticks on other people.

Edit: To prep for L&D, just youtube a bunch of deliveries. Yes it can be gross, yes you're going to see poop crowning as well as baby, but I remember a lot of the students who swore they'd die when they saw it were so busy in the moment, experiencing it with the family, that they didn't get to gross out.

MissAnthropic fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 9, 2010