Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Oxford Comma posted:

New LVN grad here, looking for employment. Besides Craigslist, what other websites are good to browse to find nursing jobs?
The websites of the Hospitals around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Etrips posted:

Can anyone recommend a book / program / etc to help study for the TEAS test? Also I have my elective coming up, would it be more beneficial on my transcript to take another science class or maybe a language like Spanish?

The TEAS is retard easy. It's probably about the same toughness as a GED.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
It's fun slapping a removed heart and making it twitch. Only works for a few minutes though.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

kissekatt posted:

I'm guessing that it's a lovely place in Bumfuck, Nowhere.

Correct. It's along the Rio Grande.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hellacopter posted:

Plus, all the patients are monitored so I don't spend the night stalking the floor, paranoid that a patient will suddenly up and die without warning. :ohdear:
Hahaha this makes me laugh. I love/hate all the 6am code blues as the floor nurses make sure their patients are still alive before they give report to the next shift. Luckily these days I usually have a VAD to monitor/run so I don't have to go.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Koivunen posted:

Adding another vote for juicy trachs. Giving someone a really good suctioning is satisfying, I just wish I didn't have to smell it. And the sticky stuff that occasionally bubbles out of the trach that leaves long stinky strings when you try to wipe it away... Uggghhh.

Last week I had a patient who had severe thermal burns on both legs and back, and the shift before gave her two doses of lactulose and didn't do anything to prevent the explosion that happened soon after I came. The smell of burned flesh, pus, lactulose diarrhea (everywhere), and the floral scent of peri care soap was pretty nasty. The flexiseal is one of the world's greatest inventions.

You really shouldn't put in a flexi seal though until you know what's gonna be coming out/after the crapping starts. Full all you know there is an impaction in there and a flexiseal is just gonna block it from being expelled post lactulose.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Lava Lamp posted:

Woah, either show me this glorious waitress job with that high of pay, or you are getting extremely taken advantage of, paywise.
Work at a higher end $50,70 a plate restaurant pre-booze and you can do it easy. I know waiters pulling in 60k+ with a poo poo ton being undeclared and therefor tax free.

And yes we are being taken advantage of.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

dissin department posted:

I just always use the old standard- On Old Olympus Towering Tops, A Finn And German Viewed Some Hops.
Olfactory, Optic, Occulomotor, Trochlear, Trigeminal, Abducen's, Facial, Acoustic, Glossopharyngeal, Vagus, Skeletal Accessory, Hypoglossal.
I struggled really badly with them in A&P, but when we did our head/ear/nose/mouth/neck assessment in that class it clicked. Probably because I was actually applying it.
Ooo ooo ooo to touch and feel a girls vagina ah heaven

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 30, 2012

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Baby_Hippo posted:

On the other end, most of the nurses I've met who were against it tended to be religious and were more against the free birth control than anything else.
Way to be a patient advocate. Stupid bitches.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Roki B posted:

And that's the right answer to the 'should I study on my break' question.
Anyone who studies on their break is an rear end in a top hat. Have fun get drunk wreck your brain. Even if you read now you'll still be locking yourself on campus studying until 2am the night before the test anyway.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Koivunen posted:

all that experience still made the transfer from ICU feel like I was starting at square one.
Which us why I'm backing my boy Roki and disagreeing with you entirely. I'm a firm believer that being an ICU nurse isn't something any amount of floor experience will prepare you for. Floor nurses are overworked over stressed and inundated with charting with no chance to go into the detail nor the need to or the capability to(monitors etc..) I believe the best path for an ICU nurse is to go into fresh from school with a nice malleable brain still full of the fancy book learnin' and pathophys from school all ready to be nicely reinforced by a good preceptorship program.

Not to mention not everyone is cut out for the ICU it's better to find that out early. There's no certain set of attributes that make one a great nurse but the field of nursing is very very broad and you do have to have certain attributes to be a great nurse in a specific field. The worlds greatest oncology nurse might be absolute poo poo in the ICU and the worlds greatest ICU nurse might be poo poo in oncology. If you think you want to go ICU go try it early that way you can reevaluate your career plans early if it isn't for you.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 12, 2013

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Who just got into CRNA school? This guy.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hughmoris posted:

Congrats! Do you plan on working at all during that time?
Not one bit.

LoveMeDead posted:

Congrats!! How long of a program is it? Good luck, I hear it's a pretty hard program.
12 months class and 16 clinical. So 2 1/3 years.

Etrips posted:

Grats man. Can you tell us pleebs who hope to one day get into CRNA school what you had to go through?
As in while I'm in school? Or the interview and applying type crap?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Etrips posted:

Applying, getting prereqs, GPA, background, etc.
Everything was pretty straight forward. I graduated with my BSN with like a 3.8something(pre-reqs were a 4.0), Rocked the GRE verbal got 97th percentile, did ok on the math like 55th percentile. Got my CCRN about a year and a half ago. Some CRNA schools want you to have a recent chemistry, but it's not required, and some let you take a course during the summer at a local CC or what ever before the year starts.

Been working in a predominantly CV, SICU(Heart Transplants, VADS, along with other high risk surgical cases like Whipple's and Radical Necks w/ free flaps) for about 4 1/2 years right now.

I applied to two schools, got turned down for the first one. No clue why, the interview was very personal though, asking more about me and challenges I've faced and what not. Guess they didn't like me. I don't know if I came off as cocky or what, I was going for confident. Got into my second one and was accepted on the spot. The interview was very clinical based and they mostly just grilled me on CV questions given my background(for example they asked me how much I knew about neuro and I said pretty much nothing so they said they would avoid asking me questions about that. Anyway they offered me a position on the spot at the end of the interview, I guess they had their mind made up based on my GRE and grades, and wanted to make sure I wasn't really a bumbling anti-social retard before they gave me the final go ahead.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 23, 2014

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Roki B posted:

A BSN in one year. OK cool that seems totally reasonable and a thing that produces high quality nurses.

You're a high quality nurse.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Roki B posted:

Shh, don't tell him how cushy this is, I mean I hardly even work!

Well I'm chillin with my feet up.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 5, 2014

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

BadSamaritan posted:

A quick question to nurses and nursing students- how much are you taught about the requirements for lab test samples? I know you guys have a lot of clinical information you need to know and that many patients are hard sticks or shouldn't lose any more blood, but the number of nurses I've talked to that ask me to run CBCs or PT/APTTs 'around the clot' or have removed the clot from a tube in hopes that we will run it makes me wonder what the lab test/interferences curriculum is like for nurses. (Hint: all your platelets/Hct/Hgb/clotting factors will be gone and we will probably have to call you for a false critical value and waste everybody's time) Also, please feel free to ask me any lab questions, because I feel like there is very little communication between the floor and the lab.

And yes, the lab feels bad that we can't run the tiny peds tube of blood too, we really do. Please don't get mad at us when we cancel things or request a redraw, we just want to make sure we're giving good values :(
Put blood in the tube color indicated on the label. That's what nurses are taught no more.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Wait for lab to get there or if you HAVE to do it yourself. Call lab and find out what tube it goes in.
We have label printers in the ICU so it prints out the ordered lab label when you put it in the computer. So printed on the labels at the bottom tilt say "LAV" or "BLUE" or if it's like a Ionized Calcium or Lactic Acid it'll say "GRN - ice" "GREY - ice"

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Roki B posted:

Oh god are you using mobilab because gently caress that poo poo and gently caress meditech and gently caress hca.

HCA and Meditech no loving loving clue what mobilab is but yes meditech is loving awful.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Roki B posted:

Its the label printing software we use with these portable label printers that are chronically useless.

Ah we got hard lined ones next to the printers.

And a tube system Suzie. How the gently caress can you have an ICU and not be able to instantly tube labs and print labels.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Etrips posted:

Any suggestions on how to go about looking into the CCRN cert? Is it something I should have some experience on floor first before getting into it?

You are not allowed to take it without working in an ICU for a year first. One of the pre-reqs is like 2000 hours of ICU care.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Roki B posted:

Victim blaming is my coping stop catharsis shaming you bigot.
Thank you. If I didn't joke about my patients taco poisoning or sing songs about "grandma stink rear end" I'd loving hate my job.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Roki B posted:

Taco poisoning is now my new go-to for female VD infections.
Hahahaha awesome. I was just referring to eating too many tacos and now you need a quadruple bypass because your coronaries are now full of manteca(lard.)

I usually just use "crotch rot" for your condition.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hughmoris posted:

Is it true if you don't use it, you lose it?
No. If that was true Roki's penis would have fallen off long ago.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I'll pay some one to fight you nigga with my fancy CRNA money.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hughmoris posted:

Speaking of which, have you started the CRNA program yet?
Not till August. Super stoked, over this bedside poo poo.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Ihmemies posted:

As a part of my radiographer studies I have a compulsory training period in a geriatric ward. After day four I can affirm that blood and feces are definitely not my thing. At least I will appreciate the work nurses do a lot more.

Today this one guy ripped off his 30ml balloon catheter...

Hahaha holy poo poo. What does an inside out penis look like? Most people don't even know those exist.

We have a few in our bins and I show them to doctors and new nurses all the time and they cringe. I call it the "punishment foley" it's not only a 30cc ribbed balloon(I have no idea why it's ribbed other than for your pleasure) but it's loving 30 french It's as big around as a drat sharpie.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 8, 2014

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Nursing Shoes are serious business. I know I can't critically think without my white dress and clogs on.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I wore white New Balance walking shoes in school. They were comfy.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yeah I did the trick like 5 years ago and it worked for me.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Sucks to be you

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Time to get laid. I did and am a drat goon.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
What type of program were you in? I got my BSN at a largish university that attracted young untied down people from all over the state. I could see how if you were getting your associates at the local CC it might be more older settled down people.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 10, 2014

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yes it does. Penetrate with gusto.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Annath posted:

I mean it was super simple, but was there more I should've been told?

Have them lay flat or even trendelenburg then have them valsalva/exhaley/bare down. Veins are under very low pressure and when sitting up it's very possible that atmospheric pressure is greater then the pressure in the vessel. So you want to crank up that venous pressure by any way possible.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
poo poo like that is why I support unions.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Today was the first day we passed meds in lab. Is it wrong to think it was pretty easy? They put the fear of god into us during the lecture about how you must concentrate 192847% or else you will make a med error and your patient will die.

Don't forget to wear your medication administration vest because you're loving retarded. These actually exist. No I've never seen one but I've read journal articles about them and I think a traveler once told me they were in a place that used them.

Apparently you put on some neon vest when you're giving medications so people know not to talk to you, because you're an idiot and you might accidentally inject the medications into the patients anus instead of IV if you hear a noise.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 2, 2014

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Roki B posted:

Holy poo poo no fukken way

I am totally not making GBS threads you.

Edit:

Yes slave your way through your BSN so this could one day be you! A respected health care professional!

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 3, 2014

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Yarbald posted:

Hahaha what the poo poo

Yeah I know It's loving insulting and ridiculous.

Edit: hahahaha you know what gently caress it! if I was a floor nurse I would welcome those. I was reading the articles those photos were from and apparently if a patient tries to talk to you, you just point to the vest and ignore them.

From the UK: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8728093/Nurses-wear-do-not-disturb-signs-during-drug-rounds.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Yeah, we discussed those as well in lecture.

We are competent and valued interdisciplinary team members!
Did your instructors champion them or find them insulting like a sane professional?