Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

krazynuts posted:

This might sound silly, but I am interested in becoming a nurse. I am in college now going for my BS in biology and I already have a nursing school in mind.
My question is, if nursing school is so intensive, did you have time to work? If so, where? If not, how did you survive?
I'm a pediatrics unit clerk, and the two coworkers of mine I can immediately think of who go to nursing school don't really work. One of them still picks up a handful of shifts a month at night, and the other took a leave of absence but has a husband to support her. Student loans, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Effexxor posted:

From Mary Ann tossing me a beanbag bear to squeeze when my anxiety was awful to the nurse who gave me a xanax off the record because she knew the doctor on call would have given me a sedative that would have been way too much to the nurse
Ignoring doctors orders and giving patients commonly abused meds isn't the sign of a good nurse.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

I've been meaning to ask this for a while now for any nurses. What are the monitors like where you work? I'm a clerk in a pediatric unit, but our pulse ox monitors seem to be designed for comatose adults. These kids' sats plummet every time they twitch! Either that, or we have magical children in our city who can drop their O2 sats from 98% to 73% and back to 99% in the span of four seconds. And the telemetry monitors? I have Office Space fantasies about those loving things at least once a week.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

AquaVita posted:

I haven't worked anywhere yet with stuff like that. Kids do fidget a lot though, and I'm guessing that has something to do with the tele stuff not working as it should.
Yeah, it's really annoying. This is actually a brief dialogue I had with a nurse last week.

Me: Katie, your kid in 62 has another lead off.
Her: *Sigh* She won't stay still and keep them on.
Me: I've got a stapler...

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

In the interest of keeping a good thread above the water, what are your unit clerks responsible for in general? I only ask because there's a major inconsistency among clerk duties where I work. This usually means that when a clerk from another unit is floating over to mine, they're not even aware of half the poo poo we do every single night. Some units seem to only have their clerks handle doctor orders and answer the phones. I do that, plus about a dozen other daily tasks, plus about another dozen miscellaneous, de facto clerk jobs that might pop up randomly.

I'm definitely not complaining about having too much work; I like being useful to the nurses I work with. Some of our jobs are pretty stupid though. The hospital just recently started making night clerks do "Banned Abbreviation Audits" every night, which means I get to skim through every patient's orders and progress notes for abbreviations the doctors aren't supposed to use, then photocopy any offenders for my boss. I feel like such a loving snitch.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Hughmoris posted:

I had a girl in my A&P 1 class who wanted to be a nurse but she WOULD NOT touch the dead cat we were dissecting. She was gagging from the formaldehyde. I think she is doing PT now. Don't they still have to deal with people making GBS threads themselves?
This is why I love the idea of being a nurse, but I acknowledge that the reality of the job entails a lot of gross poo poo I'd really rather not do. Luckily my field will be insurance, not medicine. :)

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Why do so many adult nurses seem to have such a disdainful attitude towards pediatrics? It seems like every time I get floated to an adult floor and they find out I'm from peds, I have to hear the same "Oh my God I could NEVER stand all those kids!" song and dance from at least one nurse. Is it really that much better having to work with confused, cranky geriatrics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

taupoke posted:

I'm studying nursing at the University of the Western Cape in South Africa, it's a fantatastic course. Did my first proper day of clinical duty today, I helped clean a patient whose facial tumour was rotting away. Cancer smells so strange, I don't think I'll ever forget it. I also got tested on my full body wash skills even though I'd never performed one except in theory excercises. I got 90%, whoop. Oncology is an awesome place to work.
Good for you if that's the area you think you'd want to specialize in. It can be one of the most rewarding and heartbreaking areas of medicine, which is why many nurses I know are very reluctant about becoming hem/onc certified.