Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibbles
Jan 16, 2004
Go sell stupid someplace else.
I'm in nursing school now. Getting my ASN. I'm an older student, and the 2 year school has a better NCLEX pass rate (second highest in the state) and is cheaper, and since I am in Phi Theta Kappa, I get a tuition reduction in many schools if I transfer.

I was thinking of going for the NP at some point, and due to recent medical issues, I noticed my community had a lack of support for psychiatry -- someone in town who could give meds, particularly to kids. And there is a lack of support for people with developmental disorders. (In other words, I'm in the midst of dealing with some issues with my kid, and now see what is missing, especially after talking to a number of people in the community.)

Anyone doing this? I know a few clinics here who would probably hire me in a heartbeat, that work with children, and are missing that component. Is it a particularly complex and frustrating branch of nursing? Could I go into an NP program for that even if my RN experience is more broad, or entirely different? (Like if my experience before applying is in a nursing home, or med-surg or something.) How much experience in your specialty does an NP program want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles
Jan 16, 2004

dividebyzero posted:

I'm trying to get my sister into nursing, but she fails at the internet and doesn't know how to look poo poo up.

I'd like to know what the educational path is, specifically:

-How involved is an ADN program? Credit-wise, course load, number of semesters to complete?

-Summer internships? I had no idea they even had these for nursing. Are they paid? Are they arranged like other internships; the best ones being apportioned based on academic performance?

-Suppose she wanted to be a Nurse Anesthesiologist. Starting with an ADN, what would be the best way for her to go afterwards (barring the Army)?

-Speaking of the military or psuedo-military organizations; are there any sort of tuition repayment programs offered by the Federal government for, say, working in rural/disadvantaged areas and such? I specifically had the Public Health Service in mind, but could not find any details about such offerings.

My ADN program is 6 semesters, minimum. It's a ladder and goes CNA/LPN/RN. Full time, the prereqs determine your courseload, and of course your college. Also, if you plan on getting a BSN later, you may want to take more courses at the CC level, since it is cheaper (usually), and you might be on a wait list so at least your additional courses will go towards your second degree.

The CRNA thing is a Master's. So she'd need that BSN, most likely. I've heard of, but haven't seen myself, programs that go RN--> to a Masters (I guess you get your BSN in between/with it).

There are a number of tuition repayment programs on the fed and often the state level. Google nurse loan repayment. Stuff comes up. Some hospitals may do the same, or have tuition reimbursement for getting your BSN.

Really ASN + nursing + her state should give you plenty to start with. And she is going to have to learn how to use a computer to get into school. If you can't look stuff up, you're going to have a really hard time with school. Nursing, despite requiring 'just' an ASN (or even 'just' a diploma in some cases) is not easy. It's competitive, and a heavy courseload, and hard. Looking up a school for nursing is not rocket science, nor is calling a hospital or local colleges to see what they offer. Even without the internet, just access to the yellow pages would do the trick.

Kibbles
Jan 16, 2004

SprintingOnIce posted:

Good god that seems ridiculous. Can you give a breakdown of how that works? It just makes no sense to me to jump through so many hoops just for an associate's (in nursing or otherwise)

Six semesters for the whole degree. This includes summer school/winterim/May term if you want it in 2 years.

Anyways, it works like this. You do your pre-reqs and some gen eds. Before you are allowed to start any clinicals, you need your CPR for professionals, and your CNA. Even the BSN programs around here require a CNA before clinicals.

After a year of nursing related classes (and co-reqs/more gen ed), you have enough knowledge and experience to be an LPN. You can stop school there, if you wish. At the end of your LPN year, you take the LPN boards. (There is a logic to this, bear with me.)

The second year is the RN classes. When you finish, you've got enough to take the RN boards. You also have an ASN. If you planned carefully, you also finished a lot of gen eds that will transfer to the 4 year school of your choosing. Many of them in the area send a list of what they accept, so that you can save money and time by taking your BSN classes at the associates level (For example during that first year of no clinicals).

The reason we are required now to take the LPN boards is in the past, those who graduated from the entire program and FAILED the RN boards, requested to take the LPN ones and just leave it at that. This is not allowed. This way, you get practice, you get an additional certification, (and work opportunities), and if you fail the RN NCLEX, if you don't want to retake, you are still a nurse. (Or this is the excuse I was given.)

I enjoyed the CNA class, by the way, and it did wonders for my confidence, as well as understanding healthcare more. Plus it let me figure out if I could handle it before I got too invested in the program.

Our CC has the second highest NCLEX pass rate in the state, so their ladder seems to work for a lot of us.

Oh, and the BSN at two other schools can be as little as one additional year more. AND some schools have a BSN that takes more than 4 years. It's a lot to squeeze in so I do know a number of students who don't have a 2 year ASN/ADN or 4 year BSN.

Hope I didn't confuse it MORE!

Kibbles
Jan 16, 2004

Burzum posted:

As an 18 year old who has not yet begun school but is interested in being a RN what quick pro-tips would anyone give me? I know it's broad but I feel totally lost.

I will be going to a community college that has a CNA program. I figure if I start earlier the better. I also heard from a friend that I would not have to take any mathematics course if I was positive about my route because I would be taking general dosages.

You wouldn't need math for the CNA, but you will later on. Dosage calculation is a math class, and even if you go to a school that doesn't give it as a stand alone class, you'll need to be competent in math to do it. In my school, at least, it's something they do not fool around with. Even after the class, you are constantly given dosage calculation quizzes to keep your skills up and to make sure you understand it. Dosage mistakes kill. (Like the hypothetical patients I almost killed when I carelessly multiplied pounds by 2.2 to get kilos to figure out the safe dosage range. Ooops. Good thing I caught it before I handed it in.)

Kibbles
Jan 16, 2004
For current students:

I am currently in my third semester of pre-nursing classes for an ASN. I've been hearing that I might NOT start clinicals in August. Since the clinical portion, the nursing portion, is two MORE years, I am thinking of transferring for my BSN, which would be six more semesters, instead of 4-5 more. I am going to get my BSN no matter what, so the ASN versus BSN argument isn't the issue here. This is:

My school:

Ladder program. I already have my CNA, and after two semesters of the actual nursing program, I will be eligible to take the LPN exam. In fact, it is required that you take it. (I guess in the past people who failed the RN exam wanted to go back and take the LPN one, but that isn't allowed.)

Cheap cheap community college. $135 a credit.

Seems pretty flexible for a mom like me. I'm 40, 3 kids, one disabled, and my husband works out of town for weeks, months on end. They seem very sympathetic to nontraditional students.

Well known program with a high NCLEX pass rate. Second highest in the state.

I'm in Phi Theta Kappa, which means if I GRADUATE from my school, the school with the BSN program will give me half tuition, and I have other scholarship opportunities because of it.

Other school:

BSN
3 years of clinicals instead of 2 (but I am looking at 2-2.5 years more of school at the CC)

Very expensive. I don't get any aid, just loans.

I probably won't get the 50% tuition reduction if I transfer before graduating the
CC.

I probably will be eligible for NO Phi Theta Kappa scholarships, but I should be eligible for some transfer scholarships

School is very much geared towards students just out of high school. My CC is a commuter college, most of the students at this one live on campus.

May have less flexibility with clinical hours than the CC, and with classes

I really am not sure which way to go. I can see pros and cons to both, but figured I would ask students what kind of program they liked better (ASN, BSN, RN to BSN bridge program) and even what demographics they saw in their schools. Did a lot of older people attend at traditional 4 year colleges, for example.