Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I was able to go to the bar across campus and get a few drinks in before the next class started. My liver took a beating during nursing school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Annath posted:

There's actually only been one divorce during our program! And yeah she's gorgeous and somehow keeping an A average despite the personal stuff and 3 kids.
Honestly, a kid isn't a deal breaker for me, but 3 is.
Surprisingly few single moms. Only 2 AFAIK. Lots of younger women newly married or engaged though.

the flock of women in my nursing school were intially single but actively pursuing husbands throughout the program. I never saw so many rocks being flashed around that final semester.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 31, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The rehab place I worked at had a minimum 8 patient workload, and we almost always had a person call in, which overloaded the nurses to 10 and give our "house supervisor" a full patient load. If most nurses had 7, one would get called off and bump up everyones patient ratio. Turn over was ridiculous and everyone was never in a happy mood. We also paid out a lot of overtime because nurses couldn't finish their workload and would stay 1-2 hours after work just charting after they handed their patient off to night shift.

I never made any friends with the higher ups when I would show the benefits of having another staff nurse, and that the amount of overtime would pay for about half of another nurses salary for the week.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

E.D is awesome and not awesome at the same time. Depending on the size of the hospital you'll see some really sick and injured patients and learn a ton about acute care. Your knowledge of nursing will be expanded to the point where you learn a lot about everything *cardio, pulmonary, musculoskeletal, OB* but you don't really become a master of any of them, minus acute care/emergency medicine and stabilization of patients. Which in and of itself is really cool. Plus there's a pretty neat feeling with having a code blue come in via EMS who's asystolic or in V-fib or pulseless V-tach and in a short time you're shooting him off to the ICU with a palpable rhythm.

You'll also deal with tooth aches, people who "don't feel good" and be a master of handing out tylenol and having people get pissed at you because their pain doctor gives them Demerol or Dilaudid for their headaches and that 4 of morphine isn't gonna do poo poo for them. You'll ask yourself "why is this person here, this really doesn't sound like an emergency" and it's a lot of telling people to go see their PCP when you discharge them. You don't solve a lot of their problems, and people use you as their primary care physician.

the latter is more than the former, and a lot of what you do is thankless and you don't really get to see an outcome from what you did, but you do serve a valuable purpose, and once you kind of understand that it makes all that you deal with worth it. I Did E.R for 3 years nursing, 6 years of EMS and E.R tech. Wouldn't change my upbringing in nursing.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 5, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Anyone have any idea on what an average salary for nurses in Boulder make?

Wife wants to move there, I'm all for it, but I'd have to work for 2-3 years before i've completed my PhD. I also don't have a trust fund and unless I win the lottery tonight, I don't have a ridiculous amount of money, so I would need to make a livable wage

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Roki B posted:

http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-RN-l-Boulder,-CO.html

Apparently not nearly enough to justify living in hipster mecca #2.

I don't ever believe those. They grossly mis-judge the salaries, and are usually never anywhere near what the nurses make, and even the variation between the low and high don't ever meet the "median" salary projected. I was just curious if anyone had any first hand experience.

By the way what's hipster mecca #1? Im assuming some place in So Cal.

Risky posted:

Haha, my old lovely rehab would stick me with 30+ patients and they had a high rate of nursing turnover. They ended up letting me go because I would stay 2 hours catching up on charting (Paper charting mind you) and finishing up new admissions or getting poo poo from pharmacy. NEVER AGAIN will I work in a rehab.

Sounds about right. I know that most rehab places these days are losing money thanks to the lack of reimbursement, so many places are laying off nurses and increasing work loads, while making ridiculous standards of saving money. The only thing that was worthwhile from rehab nursing was that you actually saw the outcomes of you and the PT/OT work, at least to the point of where you saw individuals come in on stretchers and walk out 2 weeks later.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

A buddy of mine's roomate started an I.V on the other roomates penis, the guy flinched and the vein blew.

'merica

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 19, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

all males.

Females were present but didn't detract anything from the male on male phallus I.V start.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Being a nurse has that huge advantage that you don't have to use PTO every time that you take off. There's always that PRN person or co-worker willing to switch shifts with you so you get that sweet 4-5 days off without having to use a single bit of PTO.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Risky posted:

Not sure, might be EMT-Bs I don't know what required they needed to get in our program. Either way most of them do abysmal on their exams.

They are probably Paramedics. The way that the paramedic to RN bridge works is that they can use some of their clinical time and class time to knock out a few classes and clinicals from nursing to lighten the load. EMT-B's learn a very focused but very limited scope of emergency medicine, rapid trauma/medical assessments that don't really stem over to nursing practice.

Would have been nice, I had my EMT-I going through school, which I will admit helped me out a ton, but even with advanced airway/OR intubation clinicals, a week of metro EMS clinicals and I.V therapy there was still a ton to learn, and had to take all the classes.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

If you don't want the job, then yes wear scrubs.

You're there to impress them and show you have a desire to work in their ICU, not show them you have access to nursing clothes.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

He's right though. I've known nurses who inch wormed through nursing school and passed it. I've also known other nurses who probably bribed their way through nursing school and passed it...

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I figured, but there's nothing wrong with emphasizing the point that passing the NCLEX is never something to stress about.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The only people I see who wear lab coats are nurse researchers who hang out in the labs. But I don't think they have friends so it's acceptable for such practice.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

In that kind of a situation, I'd go to Wal-Mart and grab some black scrubs. They're cheap as poo poo, like $7.50 for the bottoms and maybe $5 for the top. I can't remember off the top of my head, or go to wherever the nearest pawn shop or whatever that may have scrubs and buy some scrubs that are in good condition, but not flashy by any means, so no bright color's or patterns or whatever.

If they say you can shadow, they'd probably allow you to do it in a suit but it would be uncomfortable as gently caress. Going in wearing a suit and then saying "hey bro's I got some black scrubs just so that I can blend in a bit is that cool?" will probably go further than trying to stake out what the color is that they use and so fourth.

Then, if you get the job, just ditch the scrubs or use em as painting clothes and buy the appropriate ones.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I've heard some people on the forums talk about the difficulty of getting nursing jobs in Oregon. Does that really just correlate with jobs in Portland or is it pretty much state wide? I have 3 different places on the map to move next year, with Oregon being one. No desire to move to Portland, but more of the surrounding area *Bend, Corvallis, Salem*.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

my starting wage in the E.R was 19.24 and that was considered good for Kansas. :(

Fortunately housing was cheap as gently caress.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'd say that I hate all of you but I'm hopped the boat from poor-ville money to rich man yacht :homebrew:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Roki B posted:

Wife and i just interviewed for a top tier oregon job and two hours later our travel agent says we have the offer. Having experience is the poo poo.

And the yearly household AGI increases by fifty, so that's nice. I will miss the 24 hour bars here in vegas though.

Where in Oregon are you heading? I assume just travel assignments as well?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Annath posted:

My resume is 1 full page, that's it.

Two pages at max, and only if you have the relevant experience to back it up. Anything past 2 pages and I really stopped caring. Unless your most relevant experience was Jesus, our lord and savior or CEO of whatever corp, then I'd like to see what experience led up to you being to that position. If you've had 50 jobs and feel the need to post everything then I 1: don't really care and 2: just assume you can't hold down a job. The most relevant 3 ish jobs, or things that really stand out (military experience, overseas aid work/humanitarian stuff) is always good to add at the end of the resume. Show me your relevant experience, unique experience and I'll throw you an interview. If you wanna talk about your other experience you have, bring it to the interview and let me know, it'll make for better conversation.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

what about PRN work somewhere? I could care less if you did a shift a week or 4 shifts a week, if you have some experience, especially as an LPN and when I call your employer and get a good recommendation, that sits just as high on the list as the CNA who worked on the floor.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 17, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Rehab places love LPN's for some reason. Long term care does suck, but it's a foot in the door into nursing practice, shows me as the employer that you can work a job, go to school, and again, a recommendation. I get that nursing homes are where nurses go to die.. But if places require a year of experience, that is an option. I had a buddy who worked at a nursing home for an entire year and moved his way up into tele, followed by a CVICU where he is now.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 17, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Uh, gently caress that. Unless I'm contracted for say 6 months and they're paying me a ridiculous amount, I wouldn't give up my weekends for even $15 extra per hour.

Unless you literally live a life where you go to work, go home and play Starcraft/read, there's no point in giving up your social life for work.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

First week of PhD classes are in an orientation setting.

I feel as if the DNP PhD colleagues of mine are literally the bottom of the barrel nurses that found out they could get part of their school paid for if they sign a 50 year contract to work in rural healthcare or as one put it "I got fired and I figured that when I show my boss I'm a DNP she'll regret that decision!"

I also found out that you become a bully when you question a PhD Candidate on her research and the flaws you picked out when she presented to all of us.

At least my advisor agreed with me... Friends in the right places I guess.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 20, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

MurderBot - you're in a PhD NP program right? What are you planning to do with it? Had a placement workshop today with a program I mentioned previously - looks like I'll be in really good shape as long as I crush the TEAS which should be pretty easy. Really want to start a BSN program in the Spring, holy moly its rough getting in somewhere.

We have a PhD/DNP program, separate but equal as they would say. My plan after I graduate is to most likely teach and conduct research at a university of my choice. Fortunately with a Masters in Public Health and my research being "population" health I don't have to work for a nursing program and could easily fall into another category.

If by chance I don't want to do that, I'd probably get into hospital administration/management.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

If you can get 3 in a row and on your last day you can say... sleep for 4 hours *till noon or so* and function for the day, you can get 2.5 ish days of normality, but your last day and a half will kinda be messed up since you either need to go to bed way way way way way late or sleep a bit, wake up, then nap for a while during the middle of the day and go back to work.

I used to work nights and go to school. I had a lot of days where I was up for 24 hours *a LOT of days* or I'd get a small nap in, go to work, and then have to go back to classes when I got off work. I don't recommend this, I really...really...really don't recommend this.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

You guys could be cool like one of our anesthesiologists and just drink at work...

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Annath posted:

I mean I'm 24 lol.

I need to see if my bank has financial advisors to talk to.

To be fair, the chances of you needing an emergency fund past say...8K is kind of pointless. I don't want to be this anarachist/the world is hosed guy, but you should probably enjoy your life/expenditures at least until you're early 30's. You're probably going to be working into your 60's, you might as well have fun into your 30's. Once you hit that age, you'll find yourself in a position where you're making more money, and squandering cash away for a 401k/retirement is more manageable. Enjoy life, drink and buy poo poo you like. When you hit your 30's you're essentially washed up and either your vagina is gaping/dick don't work. Start saving for your depends and denture cleaning solution then.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

lol if you think you're not going to be working in your 60's. Unless you make some profound investments and you're making loving bank, we're all going to be working in our 60's. I don't know a single nurse who's making 100k in their twenties unless they're working 7 shifts a week and pulling some baller rear end overtime. Most of the recent graduate nurses I know are throwing down 1/3rd to a half *depending on prestige of school* of a paycheck each month towards student loans, and they're only looking at 55k/year.

double edit: if you're working Med-Surg in your 60's then I think you failed at nursing and saving money is probably the least of your worries.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 5, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Etrips posted:

And take a shot for every card you get wrong.

Acetaminophen is a beta blocker.

OH GEE IM WRONG ANOTHER SHOT *takes 5 shots*

sounds like my kind of a game.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Welcome to the slavery that is nursing! Be sure to get tons of bumper stickers for your car and when you find somebody drunk outside of a bar passed out, you need to explain to both the patient and the EMT's at least 50 times that you're a registered nurse and you know what you're doing.

bonus points if you're slurring the phrase "i'm a nrrrrseee do cceeepprrr"

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Wait till you get your first job before you start delving into that poo poo. Many of the E.R's/ICU's require you to get your ACLS/PALS TNCC ATLS or whatever required certs within 6-12 months of hire. They're gonna pay for that poo poo too, so don't even consider looking for anything like that until you've landed a job where it's either A: required or B: will pay for it.

CCRN, CEN or whatever higher level of cert you want should be done at MINIMUM 6 months after hire. That poo poo can be difficult because it's a lot of specific information to your field that you work in. It's good to get at least a foundation before you start studying away again, and most places don't even require it.

I have to have my Certified Flight Nurse *CFRN* within 18 months of hire. The poo poo is banana's and given that we aren't as busy as say a rotor ambulance service, there's a lot that I'm missing just in the clinical portion that I don't deal with on a daily basis. Get your feet wet in your respective field, and if you decide to continue then maybe a year into it look at getting higher level certs. Also, many employers/departments will pay for higher level certifications, which will save you half a paycheck down the line. They may even have training courses depending on the hospital.

Just get yourself some experience, drink a ton before you start working and settle into your routine. Education is important but learn the ropes first because you embark on another test.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Annath posted:

Neat Stuff

I assumed you had a job, but I'm lazy at the moment to scroll up through the nursing forum *day off and caught up on all my homework!*

Anywho, the position you're in sounds ideal. Getting good general knowledge experience in a progressive care unit is great. Just be the individual who wants to excel, take classes/CEU's that are relevant to where you want to end up, and go from there. You're locked in to a good system it seems.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 17, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Lava Lamp posted:

They suck. I had sat OB clinicals. Never saw a delivery. Lame.

Did more deliveries working EMS than I did in clinicals.

But I'm a dude and got sent out of the room by the patients on all of my OB rounds :/.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

First full semester of Nursing PhD school, week 3 report:

This stuff is pretty neat, and the classes are actually teaching me about the philosophy behind nursing research, and how to build upon my current knowledge of statistics.

A++ would consider PhD again.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Eh, I would say you're right in most aspects of nursing research and theory, but they're allowing me to focus on a public health emphasis and community based participatory research, at least that's kind of what they've eluded to once I get deeper into this. Pretty much the only dept. on campus that allows me to do that type of research since the community science dept has nothing higher than a masters in public health.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 5, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

White Chocolate posted:

Really what is the point of nursing diagnosis. I get it but come on.

To fluff up nursing care plans, which are equally as pointless.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Martha Rogers or whatever nurse theorist who decided that everything has an "energy" must have been on a lot of acid.

I didn't do a single care plan in the E.R, and when I was the nurse manager at a rehab clinic I spent roughly an hour a day fixing people's lovely care plans that were equally as pointless. It was one of the few factors that led to me quitting.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Marathanes posted:

So 10 years ago, when I was initially in nursing school, I managed to get myself shot three times with a 12 gauge at point blank range. After six surgeries bolting / stitching / wiring my rear end back together over the course of two years, I was slapped with a 30 pound lifetime lifting limit and told to look at different careers by my ADN program. So I went and got a bachelors in History and have since been working in the legal field, because a man's gotta eat. Recently, I had to have some more work done to patch up my abdominal wall, and happened to have a chief of plastic surgery and a private practice general surgeon dynamic duo who think they've put me back together well enough to do away with my lifting restriction, so that I actually could go get my RN. I'm waiting for their final assessments, and that of some local programs here in Murdertown USA, but I am hopeful for my prospects.

Anything I might want to keep in mind as a prospective nontraditional, mid 30s male nursing student who has seen some poo poo?

You can probably score some nursing school rear end if that comes with a legitimately awesome backstory/your dick didn't get shot off in the process.

As far as being a middle aged nursing student, it's not too out of the ordinary, especially in ADN/community college programs. Your bachelor degree programs will be more traditional college students, but you'll have your outlier late 20,30-40 year old students as well, and there always seems to be at least 1 or 2 people past the age of 40, at least that's what my class had (five were 40+ in a class of 75).

As long as you don't need to work some ridiculous schedule, going to nursing school shouldn't be too tough, and if you absolutely need to work full time, you can try and grab a CNA/hospital job that does weekends or nights or whatever would work with your schedule. Plus CNA experience or whatever healthcare job you get looks a lot better to hiring hospitals over joe schmuck that has no experience minus clinicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Sounds like you got a decent social situation, being married with a wife who brings home some of the bacon really helps.

I'd recommend trying to get into the hospital, even if it's doing stuff like desk work/unit clerk stuff. At all places I have worked *minus my current flight position* any person who was a unit clerk or at least worked within a vicinity of the unit who expressed interest and was going through nursing school had a pretty decent shot of getting a job as a nurse, especially if bodies were needed.

Candy-striping/volunteering is a decent way to get into nursing school, but unless you're throwing down some really good hours and giving a few handies to the bosses and whatnot, going from volunteer status to a working RN seems difficult. They'd rather hire the unit clerk/CNA who understands the process that the unit goes through, rather than a volunteer that watches.