Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

hobbez posted:

Oh sup fellow Denver RN. I realized that part of the reason I got a 10% bump is I now have more then two years of experience so that pumped me up into a higher pay bracket because I’m “experienced” or something. Not every nurse got that big of a raise I don’t think. So maybe I’m one of the “new grads” you’re referring too, lol.

I’ll take it nonetheless. So I got a raise and the bonus btw. The 15k bonus is across the board though for all acute care RNs and seems very appropriate. It’s been tough to stay with my employer when there’s all these crazy signing bonuses being advertised everywhere. Seems like a great idea to reward some degree of loyalty/consistency.

Sup denver goons. Fort Collins RN here. Wife got a raise similar to what you're mentioning and there's an end of year bonus we're both supposed to receive, mine being lower just because I'm a lowly PRN. Sign on bonuses are a plentiful up here too, although back in the summer it was only $10k for 2 years of commitment. Works out super well for her since where we came from, nobody would hire/train ICU nurses *central oregon*

Also, there was recently a quantitative trauma researcher position that got posted and I chickened out from applying because the idea of working 5 days a week sounds awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

Pay in Denver is atrocious. I love it here but at this rate I’ll never be able to buy a place.

I’m considering moving to the PNW in the next year or so. It’s expensive as hell but at least the pay is more reasonable.

As someone who moved from the PNW to Northern Colorado, I am not sure you are aware of what the cost of living in the PNW is going for, even with the higher wages.

I mean, I wish you the best of luck, but I got absolutely turbo gently caress priced out of central Oregon, and it's gotten even worse per my buddies who are still up there.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

On top of all of this: Why the gently caress hasn't UCH/UC Health in general unionized yet? It seems like that entire system is primed and ready for some poo poo to go down but there isn't a single thing happening..

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Bedside nursing, even pre covid was absolutely sketchy for new nurses that went into areas where the focus was to get them off orientation ASAP and have them running with oversight limited essentially to charge nurses/lower leadership...Some of those who have only a couple years of experience over the new nurses.

Now it just sucks in general for anyone who's in nursing, save maybe 1-2 departments where it's almost impossible to stretch nurses even more.

I figure that I'm going to give this ICU gig a solid year before I apply for flight again. If I can't land a gig doing that then I'll be happy to step away and do something non clinical, but that seems to be harder and harder these days unless you jumped on the informatics/UR pipeline pre COVID. Even those require degree's now which is lame.

poo poo, I even looked at going back to school for a comp-sci degree but going back to school for 2+ years to end up back in tens of thousands of dollars in debt seems like it's own prison there. Not to mention the stigma associated with new computer touchers having no experience and a bachelors almost turning 40.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Heparin infusions and insulin infusions are the one's here.

Insulin/lovenox injections aren't required for dual sign off which is super nice. We used to have to dual sign insulin where I worked previously, but this was before/the early beginnings of when we got those insulin pens.

I wonder how many hypoglycemic sentinel events those pens have stopped when a nurse who has no clue what they're doing was like "oh I need to give 2 units" and proceeds to pull 2 CC's into a 3CC syringe and administer it...

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

awkward_turtle posted:

The HCA hospital I'm working for sent me a letter last week along the lines of "take this 40$ an hour paycut or we're cutting you at the start of May." Nobody else is paying more and it only gave me 2 weeks to find a new position so I decided to stay, but I think I'm the only traveler I've talked to so far who did. The staffing here is already awful, may 1st is gonna suuuuuuck. Even with COVID mostly gone here they're busting at the seams. 7 Med-surg patients is not terribly unusual. They have a union but the union seems to be entirely toothless. The obvious solution? HCA applied to open another hospital.

HCA and Ascension are some of the worst private hospital systems you could work for, and it would probably be a better move to apply as a clinic nurse/become homeless than work for those companies.

nursing note: when I worked as a house supervisor, I felt absolutely awful when I gave someone an assignment of 5-6 patients. Routinely having 7 patients sounds so god drat dangerous lmao.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Anyone else been going ham on overtime? I just checked my paystub and I've had 45 hours of OT and 102 hours of consecutive weekend so far this year. I think I'm now good for a while lol.

In other news, I've started the application process to NY state. I'm educated in Canada and never wrote the NCLEX so I've got a ways to go before I explore the US travel nurse life as a possibility. I've also looked at travel nursing in Canada - while not as lucrative it would be a good way to see some of the country. I've started that application process as well but am taking it much more leisurely.

I'm still on orientation so they're not allowing me to dip into OT while i'm training. Kinda sucks since I can only pick up shifts later in the week for my PRN E.D gig.

I am getting paid 4 hours a week of straight time to do modules/education while at home, so I get a nice 80 hours a pay period which is nice. I can usually slip a single E.D shift in on a friday/saturday which is straight OT.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Jesus. We get time and a half plus $10, or $20 for nights. I'd work myself to the bone for $180 an hour lmao

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

slurm posted:

That seems like too little!

You get all the individual size peanut butter you want though.

Did I mention heated blankets for night shift?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Welp, I'm in a bit of a predicament here.

I'm actively looking for jobs and I've thrown my application to two positions.

My current potential options are:

Infection prevention job. No longer a nurse, but I start a career down the public health route. Pays fine, but it's 5 days a week..but days, however 5 days a week. Wife works 3 per week

Flight nurse, dream job. Have to travel 6-8 hours for 4 days of work, then I get 12 days off. Would do it for a year or two waiting to get on board with the local company

Quit my job and go PRN between the two ICU'S and the e.ds. Not full time, could work full time hours but I'm at the whim of whatevers open

This is of course not based on being offered the positions. I have the experience and I am very qualified for. Elimination could make my choices a lot easier. I don't mind driving, but I also feel like 6+ hours to and from, twice a week will be rough, especially if I'm needing to leave early due to crappy weather.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Get pilot's license, buy used plane, commute shrinks by half?

So funny story, I was actually gonna do that when I flew air ambulance in El paso (mainly to just fly around) but the cost of everything just owning a plane, or at least one appropriate to fly around this area comes out to around $250 an hour? So while it would be fun as all get out, I would be paying out the rear end just to go to work lol

Also this is 2015 prices, I'm sure it's way, way more expensive to own and operate a private plane.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah I get that. I have no kids but a wife who's a nurse, I'm semi antisocial anyways so doing stuff outside while everyone works 9-5 is kind of the dream for me. Plus having 3-6 days off without the hassle of using PTO makes nursing difficult to drop entirely for an office job.

I'm gonna submit my resignation come this Wednesday, and see if the boss is fine with me going PRN. Then cross my fingers that a flight gig decides to open up for me.

Fortunately we're in a position that we can survive on one income so even if i can't manage full time hours we'll be okay. Although I laugh at the concept of not getting full time hours between ICU and ED work since the needs list is a mile long for both departments.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Half the reason I'm glad i finally got my first job is so i dont have to hear friends and family exclaim "but i thought everyone was desperate for nurses" when I talk about the slog to find a job

No kidding. There's a poo poo TON of RN positions open, but I have no desire to do inpatient floor level nursing. The good jobs are being held on with a clenched fist and at any opportunity they're snatched up immediately

Like that poo poo is rough, I have a massive respect for the nurses here who are getting hosed with 5-6 patients and limited CNA staff. No wonder our Ortho department is chronically short 4 nurses each night and gobbles up our float pool

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Welp, it's official.

Goodbye cardiac ICU, hello flight nursing!

I feel happy once again

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

is there any information anywhere on the internet about RN-to-Paramedic bridges or is it just entirely people with no personal experience speculating and guessing

e: is there anyone who has actually done one here?

Creighton university has an RN to paramedic program, I think Its in the summer, and it's roughly two weeks long? I went through it back in 2017 and I thought it was good. I'll edit this post and place a link here in a couple minutes when I have the ability to

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Roki B posted:

Get the bachelors.

At the end, this is what's important, not necessarily because you're going to be a "better" nurse, but it opens up a ton of doors for you, and in some situations you can't even get hired by specific hospitals without it.

ADN is in theory fine if you want to get your foot in the door and need to start making money, but the rhetoric I've heard is that going to school, even online, while working is annoying and taxing. If you can just get all the poo poo done before you become a nurse it's one less headache you have to worry about while suffering as a nurse.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

boquiabierta posted:

Any advice for finding an online nursing refresher course?

https://www.sdstate.edu/nursing-continuing-professional-development/rn-and-lpn-independent-study-refresher-courses

this is what I've seen posted, it's online and gives you a decent amount of time to complete it. I want to say that each state board of nursing has different criteria regarding what is acceptable for refresher courses? I would say if that's the goal of re-instating your nursing license, check your BoN first and see if this program is compatible..

Your state BoN might even have a list of approved courses. the one I listed is directly on Kansas's board of nursing website, Colorado has a few as well:

https://www.coloradonursingcenter.org/nurse-refresher/rn-refresher/

So yeah, check out your state board of nursing, google something like "*INSERT STATE HERE* board of nursing refresher course" and you should find what you need... just make sure it's good for your state board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

boquiabierta posted:

Thank you, I appreciate it. I don't actually need to do a refresher course for my license -- I've maintained it actively -- but I've been out of practice for five years and just for my own comfort and confidence I think I need to refresh.

Ohh I gotcha, hopefully my rambling may have stumbled you on to something good