Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Axim posted:

I graduated from nursing school this June (BSN) and passed my NCLEX-RN in late august. Since September I have been looking for work, and its almost the end of November now and I have not gotten any hits.

This is New York City, almost every hospital is not hiring because of the financial crisis (plus some medicare restructuring), I've seen one or two part time positions, I'm currently on a wait list at one large hospital for OR nursing, but its tough.

I hope its better in other parts of the country because NYC is very stagnant now, hospitals need nurses but don't have the money to make more positions or to train new-grads.

Come to California, tons of positions over here.

I am a male nursing major, returning back to school after about 8 or so years off.
Right now I am getting my pre-reqs, which is a bitch because I am working and taking one class at a time, just finished my math requirements. Eventually I would like to get my Masters and become a Nurse Anesthetist or work in Nursing Informatics (Nursing + IT). The military is also an option after I graduate to pay off my loans.

For anyone wanting to become a nurse and looking for schools, only 2 major things you need to ask.

#1`what percentage of students pass the NCLEX. Personally i wouldn't bother with less than 80%, there are schools out there with 100%. USC and UCLA are 2 of the best (well known) schools out here in California and their passing rate is 50%.

#2 How long have they been in business. Again personally I wouldn't mess with anyone with less than 20 years.

If you want to become an LVN(LPN) the cheapest way is through a community college or adult high school. The programs offered on late night tv and during the day are hella expensive, and when you graduate you might be earning less per year than your cost of your school, usually $30K. The only positive part is there usually are no pre-reqs to get in and you finish in about 1 year.

In general, BS programs are easier to get in once you have the required classes. ADN programs are harder to get in because many people apply and many don't want to spend 4 years in school.

Working while in Nursing School is impossible unless you are an idiot savant and pick up everything you read. It isn't impossible but not recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Ears posted:

I'm looking at a career change, and a friend who is a Nurse Practitioner suggested nursing - after listening to her advice and stories, and reading this thread, it sounds like a good match for my skills and personality.

Questions

http://www.msmary.edu/academics/majors-minors/nursing/index.html ?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

DotFortune posted:

I forget the job/certification/whatever that requires an RN certification + a degree in computer science or related field. They do IT for hospitals or something. Can anyone help me out?

Nursing Informatics. Ypu don't need an IT degree per se, a few schools have a dedicated Nursing Informatics degree you can get.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
With me working and taking one class a semester, my ADN is going to take forever. I am wondering if I am in the wrong career.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Still taking my prereqs, but thinking of branching off into health informatics. Will a nursing degree help or should I go straight for the health informatics degree?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

soap. posted:

Currently I'm working full time and working on prereqs at my local community college. I have a B.A. in Philosophy from UCSC, but decided law school wasn't for me, so I'm trying to work my way through nursing school.

My question to you all is how feasible is it to work while in nursing school?

If so, how many hours a week could I dedicate to working? I'm a fast learner, but I don't want to discount the masses of memorization, etc.

If it's not, should I take a couple years after my prereqs in order to save up some money? Would it be a bad idea to have time between my basic classes and my nursing classes?

Thanks a lot guys. This thread has been really valuable!
Right now I am working about 20-22 even though I am not actually *in* a nursing program but I hear depending on the school you don't have to take the classes on their schedule. I plan to take at the most 2 classes at a time and continue to work. it will take me longer but I will graduate and not owe anything.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
6. 6 classes. 6 classes to goooooo....

I need A and P + lab
US History
Math 125
1 class in Humanities
Microbiology
Chemistry

This is just to get accepted into the program.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Guys I need some advice on getting my required classes. I am 4 classes away from being eligible for my schools nursing program lottery.
I need Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology and Intermediate Algebra.
The classes are extrenmely hard to get at the community college level, any idea where I could get these classes online at an acredited school?
Also there is a HS chemistry prereq for the Anatomy/Physiology. I never took chemistry in HS.

I am taking the summer off school for health related reasons, I was thinking of boming up on college algebra so I can take an assessment test.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

leb388 posted:

I would really suggest you take the science classes in person if you can, as most of them have a lab component that a lot of nursing schools require. What do you mean they're "hard to get"? Hard to get into, or academically challenging? I took them at a community college and all my teachers were very helpful.

And talk to the school about that chemistry class. You can probably take it at the college level or study up and pass a challenge exam to get into A & P.

Hard to get into the class. And I am a bit worried about the challenge since I didn't take a lot of science classes in HS.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
b0nes is back in the game!! I had abandoned nursing but I am getting a lot of support from friends to give it another shot. I will try to get over my mental block for chemistry. There are too many drat jobs out there, my local hospital had like 60 openings at one point. Not sure if they would hire a new grad though. If I finish the program I would have no problem moving.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

dissin department posted:

I don't know how much it will help get past the new grad/no experience problem, but you could do like I am and work part-time as a CNA while you go to nursing school. the CNA program is pretty short- i'm knocking it out over the summer. It's obviously not the same as being full RN, but it can't hurt. especially if you apply to the same hospital you worked at as a CNA.

Thats actually what I found out last night, I can get a CNA for about $1200 and it only takes about a month full time.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
How are you guys paying for school? Straight out loans or scholarships or what?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
So after I apply for a fafsa what happens, how do I get money for living expenses.

I said I wasn't going to do nursing but 2 of my friends recently changed from teaching to nursing. The husband has 3 degrees already, a Bachelors, Masters and a doctorate, now he is going for his Bachelors and Masters in Nursing, the wife is doing the same program as well. Then another friend is a security guard and is going into nursing. But the biggest motivator is that i finally picked a specialty I want to go into, Nursing Informatics.

Just need to keep negative people out of my head and not let the science classes intimidate me.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Yarbald posted:

Basically loans and grants cover my bills, and I work maybe 15-20 hours a week for some extra spending cash.

Are you finding general grants or nursing specific grants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

I worked as a Tech at a hospital while going through nursing school, so I had a position waiting for me when I graduated. From what I've seen and heard, it can be very difficult for a new-grad RN to find a job. However, if you browse any major hospital's career page, it seems that there are a million positions open that are looking for the the magical "one year of experience".
I hope that this holds true because in six months I'll hit my one-year point and I'll be looking to get off my med-surg floor.
My plan is to go to school and get my CNA, and hopefully get a job at a hospital that will help me pay for my RN. From what my aunt has been telling me, is that the LVN/LPN field is slowly going away. My original plan was to step on up to a RN with a LVN midpoint but it might be better to become a CNA, get that one year of experience then see what happens.