Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freshmex
Oct 24, 2004
Up, Right, Left, Down, Chu, Chu, Chu

Christoff posted:

This might be a silly question. But once you get into a BSN program after busting out all your pre-reqs. How much schooling is it after that? 2 years? Bachelors has me thinking 4. But then that would be plus your pre-reqs as well. Because it seems ADN and BSN have almost the same requirements. Maybe BSN has just a bit more. How much school is the ADN program once you get accepted?

For BSN almost all programs are six semesters, so three years, but some schools offer summer classes so you can get it done in two.

That is just talking about the nursing classes themselves. For BSN you still have to do whatever lower/upper division requirements the university requires.

I really think that most people's questions in this thread would be answered by going into google and typing in, "local university/community college name nursing program", they will all have FAQ and application information.

freshmex fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 5, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freshmex
Oct 24, 2004

BeeZee142 posted:

I'm currently a nursing student(woo!) but I was wondering what jobs would be good for me to get on nights/weekends/etc while I have the time(my spring semester classes are pretty easy, and I need to earn some money in the new year). I figure that experience in a hospital setting will be useful down the line over working at Starbucks. What can I do in a hospital considering I don't have a degree in anything, and am basically the same as a high school graduate?

Any idea? I figure nurse technician or a secretary? I have no idea really. (I'm in Boston if that helps any.)

Are you doing lower-division work or your first semester of nursing school? As the previous student said, after your first semester of *nursing school* you can be hired on as a nurse's aide at most hospitals, but you get experience doing nurse's aide stuff during your clinicals. I have the upmost respect for the aides, but I'd honestly rather work standing at a register than busting my rear end wiping rear end and lifting on my free time from nursing school.

The experience you would get from working as an aide is really negligible, if you really want to do something that would get you hired in a competitive market would be to learn spanish.

Your best bet is to get a simple on campus job, something nonstress, as much of your other time (for the first year at least) is quite stressful.

freshmex fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 6, 2008

freshmex
Oct 24, 2004

Juventud posted:

I want to go to California as a new grad and think that I can land a job.

In San Francisco, it is quite literally, __impossible__, to get a job as a new grad. I am not exaggerating whatsoever. There is the deadly combination of having many nearby nursing schools (San Francisco State University, Cal State University: East Bay (Concord and Hayward campuses), City College of San Francisco, University of San Francisco, UCSF, Mills college, I could go on....) and many people wanting to come to San Francisco for the high wages. Thus, any dreams of getting a job as a new grad should be quickly dashed once I tell you that hospitals get 600+ applicants for 40 spots twice a year in and around San Francisco.

I personally know a newgrad who can not find work in San Francisco for the past 15 months, have spoken to a nurse practitioner friend working at San Francisco General, and have read horror stories on allnurses (a really good place for info once you get over all of the DH crap) -- just so you know that I'm not talking out of my rear end.

Because of the difficulty getting jobs as a new grad in San Francisco, I assume that this impacts new grad programs in the surrounding Bay Area. I do not have first hand evidence, however.

That said, once you have at least two years experience, especially in med-surg, it should not take more than a couple of months to land a job.

I'm currently getting my BSN from Cal State University: Long Beach. They have this neat thing where if you sign up to work for a nearby private hospital for two years after graduation, they'll give you a $2200 (after taxes) stipend each semester. Recently, there has been talk that the hospital may actually break their side of the contract and simply let us take their money and run because of the economy. So, while I'm not completely discouraging you from looking for a job in California as a newgrad, make drat sure you do your research. Again, allnurses.com is a wonderful resource.

If anyone has any questions regarding prereqs and applying to any of the Cal State Universities or community colleges up and down California, shoot away, I have quite a bit of experience.

freshmex fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 24, 2009

freshmex
Oct 24, 2004

Christoff posted:

I know LPN can be a dead end. But how practical is it to become an LPN, work, and while working do a program into an RN?

I know this is an old question but I just wanted to chime in as well.

For most LVN to RN bridge programs the LVNs are learning right beside the newbie undergrad nursing students. The LVNs in my class have been LVNs for five years, which has allowed them to completely breeze through this BSN program so far.

For most BSN programs, the clinic hours focus on recognizing how co-morbidities and current diagnoses interact, the rationale behind meds, and basic physical assessment. From the LVNs experiences just working with patients, this is a complete breeze for them.

In lecture, almost all of the tests will be presented like NCLEX questions, which means that they are all situational/what would you do? type questions. Learning facts really does absolutely nothing for you in nursing school. Thus, because LVNs have been in these situations many times before, they breeze through that too.

In conclusion, if an LVN is willing to put up with the hours to go through the BSN program, which for them will essentially consist of writing papers on things they are already well versed in, it is quite a breeze. Both LVNs that I am friends with still work 2 12-hour shifts a week.

freshmex
Oct 24, 2004

DigitalJesus posted:

After speaking with my college counselor, I am now on the road to get my ADN and (hopefully) transfer to Sonoma State University to get my BSN there. I hope that I didn't just put myself into a scary situation with hair-pulling coursework :x

Why not just go straight for a BSN?

freshmex
Oct 24, 2004
To see if nursing is really for you I would:

If you have friends, one of them is bound to be a nurse/have nurse parents/relatives; ask to shadow. You may not get to go into patient rooms (although most probably won't care) but you will still get a good idea. Ask about scheduling, funny patient stories, funny staff stories, the many many many areas that they can work in, how was nursing school for them.

Volunteer at a hospital, apply for something that is actually on the floor (i.e. NOT gift shop), make friends with the staff, they will show you cool stuff and gossip about everything and anything.

I wouldn't suggest asking a nursing student to let you shadow around. While most staff won't care about breaking minor rules they are sticklers with making students follow rules to the t -- with good reason.

Watch Scrubs, except imagine that half the stuff that the docs do on that show is stuff that you will actually be doing, and that dealing with red tape is doubled.

freshmex fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 14, 2009

freshmex
Oct 24, 2004

Starla posted:

I have a question about accelerated programs.

Just a side note: Phlebotomy license right now.

http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/chhs/departments/nursing/studentinfo/ApplicationsHandbooksandHand-outsforUndergraduates.htm#ELM

Check out other CSUs, I know nothing about others' entry level master's (ELM) programs.

A phlebotomy license will be a neat when you get to show off to your classmates that you have some skill already...you could bullshit about how it inspired you to want to be involved in direct client care in any potential interviews...and that's about it.

freshmex
Oct 24, 2004

Bunway Airlines posted:

Is a MEPN program the best bet for me?
Or would it be better to go back and get a BSN?
If I did one of those programs would I be an RN or what?
UCSF's program and USD's program (which I've looked at) are both incredibly epensive. Is that standard?
The CA State system is usually significantly cheaper than anything else, do any of those campuses offer MEPN programs or programs that are geared towards people who already have a BA/BS?

If you already have a degree there is no reason to get a BSN first and then MSN.

If you did either program you would have a degree that would allow you to take the NCLEX which would allow you to become an RN.

It is standard for UC's and especially private schools to want to rape you financially.

http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/chhs/departments/nursing/studentinfo/ApplicationsHandbooksandHand-outsforUndergraduates.htm#ELM

I'm sure other CSUs have similar programs, check out other individual CSU nursing websites.

Most CSU programs (to my knowledge) will not let you get a BSN if you already have a degree in something else and will force you into their MSN programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freshmex
Oct 24, 2004
What degree do you have? AA, BSN, MSN?

4th semester BSN

Why did you go into nursing?

Was an environmental science major, was not really into it, people kept mentioning nursing (who doesn't mention nursing?) as a new major. I saw that I would only have to take anatomy and physiology as the other prereqs were part of my ENVS major, applied to a bunch of CSUs in CA, got into one, and I am now knees deep into it.

Got into it with zero health care experience, which I don't suggest, but I've enjoyed ICU and plan on eventually going into it.

Was it your first career?

I knew that I wanted the gently caress out of retail eventually :-)

What area do you work in?

Hope to eventually get into ICU, will most likely be forced to start off in med-surg.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are you with your job on a daily basis?

I'd give being a nursing student a solid 8; I love the challenge/sleepless nights.