Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
This may be a weird question, but is it common/possible for someone who has worked as an RN for, lets say 10 years, to attend medical school?

My guess is this probably reflects that I am very ignorant about how the medical industry works, more than anything, but I, for some strange reason have thought that their should programs which would allow a nurse to work toward an MD over time (if the nurse's hospital had an MD program of course).

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 9, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Possible, not incredibly common. Once I finish my third year in the ICU I'm going to probably either go for Flight Nurse or, failing that, MD. It'll mean starting out just like anyone else in med school, but I'm young enough to get away with it.

What you describe in your second paragraph is what the Nurse Practitioner was supposed to be. It tacks on 1-2 years of education and gives an RN the ability to prescribe and act as a quasi-MD. Depending on your area of interest, the "quasi" can mean no functional difference (family practice) or a complete deal breaker (critical care).
I guess I just thought if someone where to work as nurse for a while that they should be able to substitute that experience for portions of med school. Sorta like giving nurses the option to go into some kind of pseudo apprenticeship to get their MD.

Just out of curiosity will any of your nursing school class be transferable to Med school program?