Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimball_Ninja
Dec 24, 2004
This is a very fascinating thread, so thanks to all that are posting. While it's great that many of you are nurses, its also an attractive occupation because of its high demand. But how much of that demand is driven by the process of becoming a nurse? Those pre-reqs sound downright nasty, and while the process should be selective, it seems strange that the industry faces a huge shortage but makes the process to get your degree onerous at best.

I mean, 7 years to get an undergrad degree in nursing? What could be done differently? Making the nursing profession more attractive would go a long way to helping deal with shortages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimball_Ninja
Dec 24, 2004
So are the shortages for nurses that I've read about because there aren't enough nurses, or not enough GP's out there to handle the usual mid level cases? It's something I should ask my father, as he's an orthopedic surgeon.

Regardless, for anyone reading this thread, the title, in my mind, doesn't do nurses justice. When I volunteered in the ER in high school, I learned a tremendous amount about what happens, and nurses make that place go. While it may seem obvious, the treatment people received was from nurses, and whenever I meet a nurse, I thank them for everything they do. I come from a family of doctors, maybe I should re-evaluate what I'm doing with my life!

In conclusion, thank you!