Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SprintingOnIce
Jan 10, 2005
life out of balance

Kibbles posted:

My ADN program is 6 semesters, minimum. It's a ladder and goes CNA/LPN/RN.

Good god that seems ridiculous. Can you give a breakdown of how that works? It just makes no sense to me to jump through so many hoops just for an associate's (in nursing or otherwise)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SprintingOnIce
Jan 10, 2005
life out of balance

dividebyzero posted:

I'm back for more on my errant sister's behalf.

Now that I'm learning more about it, I think an LPN program would be a great idea for her. However, I don't know much at all about what the work is like aside from the occupational descriptions and my infrequent encounters with them during hospital stays. How would you all characterize the work life of LPN's? Is it a thankless, back-breakingly difficult job with few benefits? Is there high attrition, and if so, do most try to pursue becoming RN's or just abandon the field entirely? What are the best and worst things about being an LPN?

LPN is basically a dead end unless you want to make 14 bucks an hour for the rest of your life.

I really hate to say, but most people do LPN because they couldn't get into an RN program, and most of them generally stay at LPN and never bridge. A lot say they will one day, but rarely do.

When people think of nurses as rear end wiping, vomit cleaning etc, what they're usually thinking of is CNA, or LPN work. RNs have to do that stuff too, but not nearly to the same degree. All levels of care are important in caring for patients, but if what she wants is some level of autonomy and a livable wage, it's really worth holding out for an RN program.

SprintingOnIce
Jan 10, 2005
life out of balance

Christoff posted:

I know LPN can be a dead end. But how practical is it to become an LPN, work, and while working do a program into an RN?

It's as practical as far as you are able to do it. It depends on the person. Nursing school is very tough, there's a ton of material to go over, not to mention pre-requisite courses. Some local schools have a bridge program that would be worth checking out, attend an information seminar if you're able, it will answer any and all questions you have.