Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've been wanting to go to school for nursing for a while.

My uncle, aunts and granny all did and they make good cash and seem happy doing what they do.

I'm 23 right now and just made a move and trying to get settled down with a good job and stuff first, but I'd like to get in school.

The only time I tried college was when I was 18 directly after high school, and it didn't work out very well, but mainly because I was really young wanting to gently caress off, and I also had some other life distractions so to speak.

I'm a bit nervous of failing and just wasting money/racking up debt, but I gotta do something with my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, I've got a few questions that are probably simple. I just don't know poo poo at all about going to college, I've been loving off for the past several years of my life since I left high school.

1. I know nursing used to always be in high demand, especially male nurses. Is this still the case even with the economy like it is? I'd just like to not get a degree and not actually find a job. I'm assumming there is always going to be some demand but figured I'd ask anyway, basically how recession proof is nursing is what I'm asking.

2. I'll be going to school part time if I can since I'll be working 30-40 hours a week supporting myself in my own apartment. Is the way getting a degree in nursing works going to allow me to only take 2 or 3 classes a semester?

3. I want to go RN, but is it possible to pick up a LPN on the way? Like say after I'm in school a couple of years, I can get my LPN find a job doing that and work that job while finishing up the RN?

4.I don't know much about pell grants but since I'm mostly broke I'll have to get some kind of grant or loan to help out. I'm 24(will be 25 by the time I intend on starting school) will be living on my own, parents divorced since I was young, Dad is disabled,Mom was making decent money but she quit her job to go back to school recently. Do any of these factors help my cause getting a grant? I heard once I turn 25 that'll make it easier but that information could be wrong. Also I think student loans are out of the question because I have horrible credit like a 500-550, but anything I can get to help. No way I can fork out everything I need.

5. When I was 18 I tried going to college while I stayed with my mom, I wound up quitting while taking intro Math and Literature and got zero's in both classes. The courses were paid for with cash, so I don't have any past grants or loans.Is this fact going to make it hard for me to get back in school or is it as simple as just taking the basics and passing them the second time?

I'm sure these are all easy answers but I'm new to this trying to succeed in life thing so all this is really scary and intimidating to me. Like I'm afraid I won't be able to pay for it, or I will and I'll fail, and just other general anxiety induced thoughts. I have a lot of family that are nurses and my mom is actually taking nursing since she quit her job to go to school. I'd bug her for these answers but out relationship is rocky and I'd just have to listen to her bitch about how I won't succeed if I asked her. I appreciate anyone taking their time to answer those for me!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm looking to start school pretty soon. I don't want to type a long e/n post, but taking into account my situation, I really need to try for a 1 year certification type job for now. I'd be happy with anything that would pay enough to live, even if somewhat poorly. I've heard good things about OR tech, that it's a fairly easy program to get into, jobs aren't terribly hard to find and the pay is alright by my standards at least. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Also other suggestions are welcome. Not sure if this is the proper thread or not, but I feel this post doesn't warrant it's own thread.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Some posts google brings up says some people have a hard time finding jobs as a Surg Tech. However, in my area there seems to be a decent amount of postings for the job. Also the girl I know who does it and went to the school I'm going too claimed they had over a 95% success rate when it came to getting jobs soon after finishing, not sure if that's bullshit or not be she seems to be pretty smart and spoke favorably about it all in all. My area is around Birmingham, Al for the record.

I know they don't make a lot, but I haven't been doing much with myself and I really need to just hurry and take action considering my FAFSA application has gone through and was sent to the school. The only reason I'm not considering nursing at the moment is because staying in my current position for 2 or 3 more years really isn't going to work for me so I'm limiting myself to 1 year certification type deals. Cost of living is cheap here and I can always go back to school later for something better. I don't really want to do EMT B, for some reason they only make like 8 or 9 an hour here, which is ridiculous. I can make that cooking.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, google says Surgery Technician pay for this area is between 31-41k. Assuming trying to find a job with no experience it would be more like 28-30k, that's definitely doable for me. I'm pretty excited to be doing something with myself, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be some giant mistake and waste of schooling, but it seems it's not.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Has anyone ever went to nursing school while having a full time job? I really need a change and I've always wanted to be a nurse. I even posted in this thread almost 10 years ago asking questions about it. Right now I work brutal hours and I can't do this for the rest of my life. I could talk my job into knocking me down to 40 hours a week to go back to school.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Right now I work 11 10's in a row with 3 days off. I'm not sure what my schedule would be with only 40 hour weeks but I like to think 2 years of working that would at least prepare me somewhat, although I'm sure going to school would be a lot more stressful overall. My mom is an RN so I'm going to talk to her about it in a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
But I don't even know what my schedule would be if I would go part time. There would be a degree of flexibility. They'd work with me some. I imagine at work I'm most needed on weekends rather than the week if that helps at all.