Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Can anyone please tell me about their experiences as a Patient Care Technician before going into nursing? Is it worth it to get certified as a PCT and work in a hospital before starting nursing school? I know some hospitals offer decent tuition reimbursement for employees, so that's definitely a plus, along with generally better insurance (or so I've heard anyway).

If you were a PCT first, how long was your training program? I've found programs here in Atlanta that range from 10 weeks to 8 months. I'm assuming hospitals will be more likely to hire you based on the program you graduated from, so if you received your training from the place in the Indian shopping mall next to the dollar store (this is a real school here in Atlanta), you're probably not getting the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Hey Chickster, I think the reason there's very little reference to LPNs in this thread is because in most areas in the US, they're trying to phase out LPN programs completely. I know around here (Atlanta), it's almost impossible to even find an LPN program.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
My husband is currently completing his CNA training because a friend of mine can secure him a job at a very big hospital in a large city. This hospital does tuition reimbursement as well, so he is going to pursue his RN while working there. Has anyone here ever become an RN through this route? They're going to pay about 85% of his tuition, which sounds awesome to me. If he's already been working at this hospital while going to school, will he have a better chance at getting in as an RN once he's at that point?