Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Tweeze
Jun 17, 2005
Little thread resurrection here. I'm graduating with my BSN in like a month but now I am insanely worried. When I was 19 I got charged with a DWI with like a .03 BAC because I got pulled over with a burnt out headlight, and being the retard that I am got an underage about a year later. I'm 23 now, completed ARD for the first offense, haven't had any troubles with anything since then, live in PA. Did I waste 4 years of my life doing this or will I still be able to be licensed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Tweeze
Jun 17, 2005

a handful of dust posted:

Nursing seems really interesting to me

I have a BA in history and have mostly worked a bunch of unfulfilling jobs since graduation. Nursing seems interesting, and I'm in the process of applying to several local schools. Pre-reqs aren't too bad for someone who already has a bachelors; I've just got to knock out 2 semesters of A&P and microbio and I'm good to go.

I'm curious what the work environment's like for guys, mainly. Especially more ah...traditionally male guys. I'm 6'1" 200 lbs and I have a shaved head and a bunch of tattoos , am I going to be judged negatively for this in interviews or have trouble fitting into a female dominated workplace?

I'm also interested in Neonatal nursing as a career goal, is this an uncommon specialty for men?

There are a few guys that work in neonatal nursing, my OB teacher was the only male nursing teacher I had actually so I don't think its uncommon, he worked in the NICU at one of the area hospitals. I don't think having tattoos or a shaved head is really a big deal its a profession that has a ton of jobs so if you are competent that's really all that matters.

Bum the Sad posted:

Not at all. Especially in the ICU. Employers like male nurses. They can actually lift poo poo.

Also this, I work on a med-surg floor and whenever a heavier patient needs to get out of bed or transferred I'll get called to come in and help.

Mr Tweeze
Jun 17, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

Don't listen, find a preceptor/internship.

Agreed, if you truly want to work in any specialty floor (ICU's, OR, L&D, ED) starting on a med-surg floor really won't help you as much as getting into the area your interested in.

Passed my NCLEX Friday by the way :toot:

Mr Tweeze
Jun 17, 2005

Thelonious Funk posted:

I quickly skimmed through the 11 pages, so I might have missed this and for that I already apologize.

How long does a new RN have to go through clinicals? I think I'm going to try and get my BSN, but with the job market as it is (especially in California) I'm unsure if that extra time would be worth it. It's not a problem to start out with just an ASN and eventually get my BSN, is it?

Also, how are opportunities for relocation as a nurse? I'm talking about hospitals (or wherever I would work) fronting me to move out to that city/state to begin working for them, or something similar.

Thanks if you respond.

The hospital where I work ASN/BSN get paid the same amount, the only difference really is that theres more opportunity to advance with a BSN. As for relocation, I'm pretty sure if you work as a traveling nurse they pay something towards housing.

Mr Tweeze
Jun 17, 2005
So I've been working on a med-surg floor for about a year and a half now and I'm starting to realize I want to move more to the business side of the game. Has anyone here thought about or actually went into something like a Masters of Healthcare Administration program? If I did decide to pursue it I'm sure I'd have to do it online and I just don't know what programs are considered credible in regards to online degrees.

Regarding IV's do many of you actually even start them once you're out of school? At my hospital unless you work in the ER they don't even let us try, we just call the IV nurses and they do it for us.

Mr Tweeze
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah if anyone still has a few semesters left in school and you can manage it I would really recommend working as an aide/tech before you graduate, getting a foot in the door really helps things especially if you're a hard worker. I know for me personally I worked for an aide for 2 years before graduating and my manager just kept a position open for me once I said I wanted to stay. As for the job market its not to bad in my area, I know the hospital I work at had their largest hiring group in a long time just last year, they hired like 50 new nurses. A bigger problem here is nurse retention, there are 4 area schools with nursing programs so a lot of people graduate and stick around for a year before moving on. But yeah, if you don't mind relocating look at NW PA area hospitals, there are always a few openings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Tweeze
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah I really don't think ICU is any harder/more stressful then working on a general med/surg floor. I've worked on a urology/nephrology based med-surg floor for 2 years and 75% of the critical care nurses I talked to when I was doing rotations said it was probably the hardest place to work in the hospital. We are the only nurses certified to do CAPD and access dialysis perm-caths in the hospital so if anyone comes in the ER that needs blood drawn from a perm-cath or if there's a CAPD patient in the units we're required to go down and do there exchanges. Not to mention that on off shifts if someone is having problems inserting a foley or irrigating one and they call the urologist the urologist just tells them to call our floor and have us take care of it. This is on top of having up to 5 patients on days, 6 on evenings, and up to 9 on nights...it can get pretty lovely.