Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Doppelganger posted:

Ignoring doctors orders and giving patients commonly abused meds isn't the sign of a good nurse.

Where the gently caress did she get that xanax? She likely stole it from another patients PRN (As needed) list and could lose her license for poo poo like that. But, on the other hand, I am a psyche nurse and can answer your questions. I'm an LPN going through an LPN-BSN bridge program at the time so that I may join the military. Psyche nursing is different than other forms of nursing. Your patients are more often than not drug addicts with poorly thought up psyche diagnoses from doctors just labeling them with one so that their insurance will cover them. Psyche is a lot less paperwork and more hands on patient care. Not in the helping them to the bathroom sense but more the "Oh god, where did they go" or "Oh god, did a male just wander into a female room?" and watching your back and those of the patients from the more unstable ones. There are lock down rooms for violent patients. These are constantly monitored by camera and frequently checked up on.

Its what you make of it, thats for sure. I love it, but a lot would hate it. It can be extremely stressful to have a suicidal patient due to aids a lot of the time not keeping an eye on them as they should. The key is to be consistent and truthful with the patients. And my god, the anti-smoking ruling on hospital grounds has been hell for our patients.

dude posted:

What kind of jobs are out there for it?
As a nurse? Just like anywhere else, LPNs are usually med nurses (They give out the medications and help out with paperwork). RNs are usually the unit nurse, whom deals with deep talks with the patients and the bulk of the paperwork. There are one to two techs to assist the two of you. There is a charge nurse RN or BSN that will float between various floors and help out where you need it.

quote:

Math
There is a lot of math, I'll be straight with you. A lot of people just dont get it and others do. Read up on "med math" if you get the free time. Ill help you out best I can if you have any specific questions but itll largely be up to you.

quote:

And btw, all of the goon psych ward nurses have no idea how much you help.
Thanks! For every ten drug seeking addicts I treat theres always one patient looking for help. Those are the ones that make the job worth it.

Vagon fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
Most BSN programs will let you in with a 2.5. That said, its good to have at least a 3.0 to actually get past a list in any timely manner. Good luck, potential male nurse buddy.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
What degree do you have? AA, BSN, MSN?
LPN, going to school for my BSN at the time.
Why did you go into nursing?
Thats a tough one. I had planned on joining the military as an enlist after I graduated highschool but due to a spinal surgery that was taken from me. In the hospital I spoke a lot with a male nurse and decided it didn't sound half bad.. And the military takes BSN nurses as officers. Worth a shot, I figured.
Was it your first career?
First one. Got my LPN when I was 18.
What area do you work in?
Psych, formerly hospice.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are you with your job on a daily basis?
I'd say around a 7. If I planned on staying in psych for the rest of my life that number would start to dwindle but I still have dreams of hitting up the Air Force as soon as I graduate.