Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.
Although I'm not in nursing school yet, and I haven't even applied, I'm beginning the process of slowly working myself through the few prereqs I have left to take. I'm pretty excited.

I got my BA in history in 2007, and it's pretty worthless. I got married and had a baby, and now I don't want to move, which I would need to to do something with that. I always deliberated between nursing and history, and I think I chose the wrong thing. So here I am at 24, a stay-at-home mother, getting ready to apply for nursing school in 4 or 5 semesters.

To contribute to the thread: is it naive of me to assume that I'm going to be able to get a job in the unit that I think I want? Obviously I haven't done any clinicals so I have no real world idea of what goes down, but from personal experience I feel drawn to the L&D or NICU. Those areas just seem like they would be some of the more popular ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

AquaVita posted:

Really depends on how good you are and how good you interview. ICU is tough in any area, but you can do it if you set your sights on it early enough.

Just try to avoid med-surg. It's the most :smith: out of all of them.

Yeah, after volunteering in the hospital for years, I'm not terribly interested in working on a floor. And the idea of being in surgery kindof bothers me a little. This is all preconceived notions though, I have no idea what it's really like to be an RN.

As for the lochia, mine didn't bother me... The idea of it doesn't bother me much either, we'll see! I'm excited I'm finally getting started. One class at a time.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.
Geez, I just had my first pre-req class for the nursing program. I'm going to a community college because I just want an RN, and at least 15 people there are going for pre-nursing. I have a good GPA from my bachelor's, but I'm nervous about getting into the program again. They accept 50 every semester. I guess I'll just have to make sure I bust my rear end like I'm planning on doing.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Hughmoris posted:

I had a girl in my A&P 1 class who wanted to be a nurse but she WOULD NOT touch the dead cat we were dissecting. She was gagging from the formaldehyde. I think she is doing PT now. Don't they still have to deal with people making GBS threads themselves?

I'm in week 3 of my A&P 1 class. There was a girl who wouldn't touch the slide of compact bone because she said it was disgusting, and then went on to tell everyone she would never donate her body to science. It's mind boggling.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

cheese posted:

Graduated with a BA in History/Poli Sci from a UC campus this past summer thinking I wanted to go into Law School. Long story short, I don't. My mother and aunt are both nurses (my mom is a hospice RN) and I was looking for another set of opinions here. Everything they have been saying is great and they are both really satisfied with their job and how it has treated them over the years. I enjoy science, like helping people, etc. What kind of program should I be thinking about? My mom mentioned an AA RN program, but they have both been nurses for 30 years now so I'm not sure how up to date they are on the current degree programs. She suggested I plan on getting started with some Anatomy/Physiology + Microbiology classes at a community college this fall - should I be going for a straight AA RN or some kind of Master of Science Nursing program for those with non-nursing BA's?

What is it about history grads going to nursing school?

I'm just going the AA RN route myself, mostly because it's faster and I can do a bridge program at a local college later if I wish.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.
edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. A little deeper research answered my question for me.

qentiox fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 25, 2010

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.
For any of you that have taken the TEAS test for admission, what study guide did you use if any? I know there are 3 different versions, and I'll get all 3 if I have to, but amazon's ratings didn't help me too much.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

b0nes posted:

Hard to get into the class. And I am a bit worried about the challenge since I didn't take a lot of science classes in HS.

I never bought it because I had a pretty firm chemistry background, but my A&P professor swore by this book, and recommended it to anyone with chemistry issues: http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Chemistry-Biology-Students-9th/dp/0805395717/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276683695&sr=8-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.
I looked at the requirements for working as an RN here in Wichita KS, and all of the hospitals here only require an ADN, but a BSN is preferred. I'll be going through an ADN program, so hopefully I'll be able to get a job where I have my clinicals.

Also, when I was in labor I was chatting with my nurse, and she said that after her first semester of nursing school she was given a job as a nurse assistant on a PRN basis, and that they later offered her a position in that unit when she graduated. Has anyone done this? It sounds awesome, and she's working in L&D, which is (I think) where I ultimately want to end up.