Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miso
Nov 21, 2005

Why Frog, why?

DotFortune posted:

I forget the job/certification/whatever that requires an RN certification + a degree in computer science or related field. They do IT for hospitals or something. Can anyone help me out?

I didn't see this question answered, maybe I missed it though. Are you thinking of nursing informatics? I was interested in this for awhile.

I worked as a nurse for a year and decided it wasn't for me, so now I'm back in school for computer science/design. Even though I didn't like nursing, I still think it would be cool to work for a company that makes software nurses use for charting/meds/etc. I also wouldn't mind working in IT/web design for a hospital. Medical stuff still interests me a lot. I think the fact that I have experience working with computer charting systems will help me if I want to work in that area. I'd be really interested if anybody knows anything about former nurses that pursue this kind of thing.

Also, if you are still in nursing school (or are already a nurse even) and realize you don't like nursing, find something else! Although working for a year did allow me to save up money to go back to school, money is not a good enough reason to be a nurse. You need to like it too or else you're at risk of becoming one of those mean, bitter nurses that everyone loves so much. I always tried to be nice to my patients, but I'm sure if I had stayed with it for long enough I'd become one of those mean ones. :(

miso fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miso
Nov 21, 2005

Why Frog, why?

Datsun Honeybee posted:

What I mean is, does one have to be overly resilient to put work behind them when they're at home so they can relax and enjoy hobbies?

or is it more of a burnt-out feeling during time off in which you want to just be in an anti-social shell?

I had problems, especially when I first started, where even when I was home I would think about all the things I'd done wrong at work or worrying that I didn't chart everything or do everything I was supposed to do in the shift. I think that kind of thing is fairly common, especially with new nurses.

miso fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 14, 2009

miso
Nov 21, 2005

Why Frog, why?
Yeah, you probably never totally get rid of it. It's a sucky feeling though because you want to leave your work there where it belongs and not take it home with you, but it can be very hard not to, especially as a newbie. I was always thinking, "Did I remember to do this? I think I forgot to chart that..." etc.

miso
Nov 21, 2005

Why Frog, why?
My Kaplan book was very good. It gave some really good strategies for how to look at/think about different kinds of questions, which helped me a lot. It also had practice questions (I'm sure all the similar books do), which are very important.

miso
Nov 21, 2005

Why Frog, why?

AquaVita posted:

:what:

MA's do nothing on the same level of nurses, don't make remotely the same amount of money, and is basically one of the worst jobs in the health care profession. Did you mean something else?

I think they just meant a master's program in nursing. You wouldn't actually get an MA in nursing (that I know of), it would be an MSN most likely, but from the context that sounds like what Bunway Airlines meant.