Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot
I'm trying to get my sister into nursing, but she fails at the internet and doesn't know how to look poo poo up.

I'd like to know what the educational path is, specifically:

-How involved is an ADN program? Credit-wise, course load, number of semesters to complete?

-Summer internships? I had no idea they even had these for nursing. Are they paid? Are they arranged like other internships; the best ones being apportioned based on academic performance?

-Suppose she wanted to be a Nurse Anesthesiologist. Starting with an ADN, what would be the best way for her to go afterwards (barring the Army)?

-Speaking of the military or psuedo-military organizations; are there any sort of tuition repayment programs offered by the Federal government for, say, working in rural/disadvantaged areas and such? I specifically had the Public Health Service in mind, but could not find any details about such offerings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

semihippie posted:

My sister's a CRNA- its an incredible job. Great job security, 100k + starting, and she works about 48 hours a week. With 1.5x overtime pay. If I could do everything over again, I probably would do that.

My best friend's Dad growing up was a CRNA; most chill human being I've ever known and he was just filthy with money. Sounded like a cool job, too. As I write this post from law school, I'm seriously wishing I'd just done that instead.

SprintingOnIce posted:

Good god that seems ridiculous. Can you give a breakdown of how that works? It just makes no sense to me to jump through so many hoops just for an associate's (in nursing or otherwise)

Seconded...this seems a bit long, although if it's a part-time program, it may make a bit more sense.

thread posted:

Stupid sister

Normally, I'd be inclined to agree...but even her internet-savvy brother has had to resort to threads like these to figure these things out, as opposed to getting lost in spam-ladden "GET YU0R NURZING DEGREE ONL1NE" websites. So I don't entirely blame her, but thanks for the advice nonetheless!

I hadn't even heard of a "CNA" before; just a matter of being completely removed from and ignorant of the nursing field.

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot
I'm back for more on my errant sister's behalf.

Now that I'm learning more about it, I think an LPN program would be a great idea for her. However, I don't know much at all about what the work is like aside from the occupational descriptions and my infrequent encounters with them during hospital stays. How would you all characterize the work life of LPN's? Is it a thankless, back-breakingly difficult job with few benefits? Is there high attrition, and if so, do most try to pursue becoming RN's or just abandon the field entirely? What are the best and worst things about being an LPN?