Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a Technics sl1210 mk2 turntable and was wondering what cartridges are better suited for music than what I've got. I've got a Shure M447 and I always thought it sounded a bit harsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Aeka 2.0 posted:

what cartridges are better suited for music

I can't tell you how much I love my Shure m97xe

Smooth and balanced all the way through the spectrum. It's seriously amazing for the price.

fake edit: my spare cart is the M44 you have now, it's made for club djs and it's great for playing loud but you're right, it's harsh.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
If you're willing to spend a bit more, the Denon DL-110 is what I'm getting for my 1200 because of all the praise I've heard from Technics owners. It's a high output moving coil so you can use it with a standard moving magnet phono stage and hear what all the hype about MCs is about. I've seen some places selling it for as low as $80 but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
^ I'll probably try that one next year, I've heard nothing but great things as well.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
after reading reviews for both, I think I'm going to pick up the Denon. So what is the hype of a MC?

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

I'm getting an ATN-3600DLX stylus, I'll post back once I get a chance to listen to it.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

after reading reviews for both, I think I'm going to pick up the Denon. So what is the hype of a MC?

Wikipedia posted:

The MC design is again a tiny electromagnetic generator, but (unlike an MM design) with the magnet and coils reversed: the coils are attached to the stylus, and move within the field of a permanent magnet. The coils are tiny and made from very fine wire, so are even lighter than the small magnet used in an MM cartridge, thus improving the tracking ability of the cartridge. This can give extended frequency response as well as greater fidelity.

Google "moving magnet vs moving coil" for some more insight from owners. Some people's tastes lean toward MM over MC so it's hardly open and shut, but the Denon's are regarded as pretty special.

Pibborando San fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 19, 2008

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

This seems like the right place to ask. I've been working on restoring an old Sansui 1000x that I've rescued from my grandfather's attic. While it is fully functional, the damned needle indicator light has burned out. Worse, it's potted with epoxy or something similar into the needle assembly. Does anyone know of a method, short of getting a new needle assembly, to replace a light such as this?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Pibborando San posted:

Google "moving magnet vs moving coil" for some more insight from owners. Some people's tastes lean toward MM over MC so it's hardly open and shut, but the Denon's are regarded as pretty special.

Well only one way to find out. I have to recover from Christmas before I get one, but I'm gettin' one for sure.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Grave $avings posted:

This seems like the right place to ask. I've been working on restoring an old Sansui 1000x that I've rescued from my grandfather's attic. While it is fully functional, the damned needle indicator light has burned out. Worse, it's potted with epoxy or something similar into the needle assembly. Does anyone know of a method, short of getting a new needle assembly, to replace a light such as this?

I didn't see anything from a cursory look, but the service manual may have something:

http://www.clarkeworks.com/clarkeworks_sansui.html

I'm guessing you'll need to either remove the epoxy and bulb, or just get a new assembly.

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD
I have a debut-III too! It's a great player. I buy most of my albums from smaller bands at live shows, it's more fun than purchasing vinyl copies of albums I've had on MP3 for years.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
do the pro-jects always come with the dust lid top? i'm buying one after christmas.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Chaucer posted:

do the pro-jects always come with the dust lid top? i'm buying one after christmas.

Yes, but it's easily removable.

Here's my setup:

Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 3300
Scandyna "Drop" speakers
Debut III with acrylic platter
Rega P1
NAD PP3

I know I shouldn't have the speakers and turntables on the same stainless steel surface, but I'm waiting until I move again to get the ceiling mounts for my speakers. Right now my ceilings are cement and about 13' high, which would make it very costly and a pain in the rear end to mount them.

woot fatigue fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 21, 2008

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

woot fatigue posted:

Here's my setup:

Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 3300
Scandyna "Drop" speakers
Debut III with acrylic platter
Rega P1
NAD PP3

That's an impressive setup. How does the Rega P1 compare to the Debut III?

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

andretti posted:

That's an impressive setup. How does the Rega P1 compare to the Debut III?

I can't compare the sound, as the Rega has an upgraded cartridge (10e) while the Debut has the stock one (5e). Once I upgrade the cart on the Debut I'll be able to do a better comparison. I also need to pick up another extremely overpriced RCA-Beo adapter from the B&O store ($75, looks like it came from Radio Shack) so I can hook both up at once.

What I can say:

- The NAD PP3 makes a huge difference compared to the Beomaster's built in pre-amp. The one I'm using is actually on loan from a friend who's from the same hometown as me. There's a guy who owns a small home theater shop that will give me a deal on one - $100 vs. $175, so I'm waiting until I have a chance to visit. The USB out is also a bonus.

- The tonearm on the Rega is much much nicer than that on the Debut. Well, I shouldn't say nicer, but it feels very well built. On the Debut I'm always worried I'm going to break it somehow.

- The stock platter on the Rega is made of MDF, which looks like it could've been made in high school woodshop. It also doesn't match the size of the record, leaving about .75" of overhang

- The spindle on the Rega is plastic, on the Debut it's chrome

- The plinth(?) on the Rega is much larger than the Debut. It is also thinner. To me it looks out of proportion, but that may be due to the difference in platter size, thickness, and that I got the Debut first.

- The Rega does not have a ground wire, the Debut does

- The Rega has three feet, the Debut has four

- The dust cover for the Rega has squared edges, the Debut is rounded and cheaper looking

- The hinges for the Debut's dust cover are much nicer, while the Rega's are just flexible plastic tabs

All in all, once I upgrade the cartridge on the Debut I think I'll enjoy it much more than the Rega. They're both "lower end" tables, so they're both going to have their faults, but in the end I find the Debut to be a be a more enjoyable turntable, if only for the aesthetics alone. Then again, seeing my setup, you can see that design is just as important to me as sound.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks for the review, I linked in the OP.

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

I'm buying a new turntable, and my two main candidates are the Rega P3(24v) and a Technics SL-1200mk2. The Technics seems like it would have more longevity, but Technics turntables are really expensive where I live (Norway). Well, that is to say it costs about the same as a Rega P3, but the Rega seems to be in a much higher price class than the Technics in America. Would I get more for my money with a Rega P3, assuming it costs the same as a Technics SL-1200mk2?

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

MrCompson posted:

I'm buying a new turntable, and my two main candidates are the Rega P3(24v) and a Technics SL-1200mk2. The Technics seems like it would have more longevity, but Technics turntables are really expensive where I live (Norway). Well, that is to say it costs about the same as a Rega P3, but the Rega seems to be in a much higher price class than the Technics in America. Would I get more for my money with a Rega P3, assuming it costs the same as a Technics SL-1200mk2?

You're starting to get into the quality realm where you have to listen to both TTs and see which one you like better. However, if they were the same price and I couldn't listen to them both, I'd get the P3.

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

andretti posted:

You're starting to get into the quality realm where you have to listen to both TTs and see which one you like better. However, if they were the same price and I couldn't listen to them both, I'd get the P3.

I've listened to the P3, and I liked it a lot. I've always been interested in the 1200mk2 for some reason, though, which is unfortunate because the only stores that sell them here are DJ-shops, and that would mean having to buy online without getting a chance to listen to it.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

The Technics will have the edge in pitch stability and accuracy. The Regas are known to be 1% too fast on average. The Rega arm is better than the Technics' though. HOWEVER, the 1200 has an incredible upgrade potential. Check out kabusa.com They sell mods and accessories for the 1200 that will transform it into a truly high-end deck.

Here's what I'm eventually going to be doing to my own:
- Herbie's Way Excellent II Turntable Mat
- TTWeights record clamp
- Cardas tonearm re-wire*
- New headshell (LP Gear Zupreme)*
(after those two, the Technics' arm can compete with the Rega's)
- Nice budget cart (Denon DL-110)
- Tonearm Fluid Dampener*
(Technics' arm now kicks the Rega's rear end)
- External Power Supply*

*Upgrades exclusive to the 1200

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

Pibborando San posted:

The Technics will have the edge in pitch stability and accuracy. The Regas are known to be 1% too fast on average. The Rega arm is better than the Technics' though. HOWEVER, the 1200 has an incredible upgrade potential. Check out kabusa.com They sell mods and accessories for the 1200 that will transform it into a truly high-end deck.

Here's what I'm eventually going to be doing to my own:
- Herbie's Way Excellent II Turntable Mat
- TTWeights record clamp
- Cardas tonearm re-wire*
- New headshell (LP Gear Zupreme)*
(after those two, the Technics' arm can compete with the Rega's)
- Nice budget cart (Denon DL-110)
- Tonearm Fluid Dampener*
(Technics' arm now kicks the Rega's rear end)
- External Power Supply*

*Upgrades exclusive to the 1200

Since I live in Norway, buying anything from kabusa would end up being incredibly expensive, due to shipping cost and import tax. I don't really know about any comparable Norwegian sites, or I'd consider that.

How about something like the ProJect RPM5 or RPM 6.1?

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

MrCompson posted:

Since I live in Norway, buying anything from kabusa would end up being incredibly expensive, due to shipping cost and import tax. I don't really know about any comparable Norwegian sites, or I'd consider that.

How about something like the ProJect RPM5 or RPM 6.1?

I was looking at the RPM5 before I decided on the Technics. Here's a good review.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Is anyone getting/buying any cool turntables, vinyl or vintage gear for Christmas? Aside from the aforementioned stylus, I'm going to pick up some shelves to hold my LPs since I'm starting to run out of room.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
My local music store went out of business, anyone know any good online sites to buy LP's from?

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My local music store went out of business, anyone know any good online sites to buy LP's from?

Amazon is always a few dollars lower than the local place near me.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Aside from eBay and amazon I've used all these and have been happy so far:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?format=Vinyl
http://www.musicstack.com/
http://gemm.com/
http://www.turntablelab.com/vinyl/
http://www.insound.com/
http://store.acousticsounds.com/category.cfm?section=vinyl&id=5
http://www.musicdirect.com/category/11

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

drat, Son. Thanks! Hope I don't spend too much now.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Good luck :v:

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I've had nothing but good experiences with Aural Exploits

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

The Human Cow posted:

Owsla posted:

awesome info, thanks for sharing

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

Pibborando San posted:

I was looking at the RPM5 before I decided on the Technics. Here's a good review.

I'm not really sure what to get, though. I'd probably get a DL-110 for the Technics and use the stock pickup on the ProJect, at least in the beginning. I assume you think the Technics is quite good even without the modifications?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I kinda want this, for no good reason: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/ele/966906608.html

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Not an Anthem posted:

I kinda want this, for no good reason: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/ele/966906608.html

That thing reminds me of this

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Just throwing in two recommendations.

I have a Pro-Ject RPM-1 with and Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, and it's great.

The 2M is a huge step above the OM-5 and 10 that are supplied as oem cartdriges with the Pro-Jects.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

metaxus posted:

updated the OP, thanks

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Yay, Christmas!

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Pibborando San posted:

that is sweet. how do you like it so far?

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Pibborando San posted:

Yay, Christmas!

Good to see the Discwasher D4+ hidden away there on the right ;)

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

andretti posted:

that is sweet. how do you like it so far?

It's great! The only place in the house (I'm at my parents' for Christmas) to hook up the deck is in their bedroom into an old Yamaha receiver's phono input. That's connected to some old and decent, but nothing special Mirage speakers. It's not nearly as nice as my home set-up, but still sounds quite good. As you can see from the pic though, there really aren't any sturdy flat surfaces to put the deck on.

The cart that came attached is an Audio-Technica 8008, which I couldn't find much info on, except that it's supposed to be the same as the AT331LP which requires 1.0g - 1.6g of TF, so I set the counterweight to 1.5g. Since I have NO frame of reference, I can't tell how good this cart is, but I have no complaints so far. EXCEPT, it seems to be riding really low on the LP surface, and the very bottom of the plastic housing sometimes scrapes against the record which makes an annoying dull "khkkhggkhh" sound. Could it be the cantilever is giving more than it should? I wish I had another cart to test, but I'm pretty much broke. Sometime soon I should be able to get the DL110 to replace this AT.

Anyway, music out of this thing is beautiful and I can't wait to get back home and hook it up to my main system. Oh and my parents surprised me with a picture disc Dark Side of the Moon vinyl which is AWESOME except it's used (not the bad part) and quite warped :( So much so that the cart can't track properly, so I guess they'll try to return it and get a better one. I'm still waiting for my 180g My Bloody Valentine - Loveless LP to arrive. It better come soon cuz I'm leaving tomorrow!

metaxus posted:

Good to see the Discwasher D4+ hidden away there on the right ;)

Yep, another surprise from my parents which was very thoughtful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Pibborando San posted:

It's great!
that rules, glad you like it.

Pibborando San posted:

EXCEPT, it seems to be riding really low on the LP surface, and the very bottom of the plastic housing sometimes scrapes against the record which makes an annoying dull "khkkhggkhh" sound.

That shouldn't be happening. Is your turntable level? I guess just wait until you get it back to your house and see if it keeps happening.