Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Hooked up the Alexa echo Puck for testing, and I'm drat happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I picked up the fanciest BSR turntable you'll ever see today for $40.

Just needs cleaned and a stylus.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wa27 posted:

Sleek

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wa27 posted:

man I love those crop circle-style TT mats

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

My dad gave me his old records and some small bookshelf speakers - NHT SuperZeros. The speakers seem well-regarded for budget speakers but lack any low end so I think I should get a subwoofer. I'm also looking at a Yamaha A-S301 receiver and a Fluance RT82 turntable. The plan is playing jazz records in a small living room and also hooking up the TV via the optical audio port (lets me get rid of the soundbar).

So please drop some modest subwoofer picks and tell me if I'm buying the wrong stuff. I've been checking craigslist for a week or so and all of the old turntables seem junky or overpriced.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Trying to decide if it's worth getting this old MusicHall MMF-2.1 going. Presumably it needs a belt, hopefully the cartridge would be OK since it's basically never been used.

I really only have a handful of vinyl and I'm not sure I want to get into it now or not. There's plenty of it available, but I've seen the comments about pressing quality varying wildly.

On the other hand, high-res digital is dead as a doornail it seems, whether it's SACD or anything else. There's a few websites like nativedsd.com, hdtracks.com. Selection is weak or at least doesn't align with what I want I guess.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rescue Toaster posted:

Trying to decide if it's worth getting this old MusicHall MMF-2.1 going. Presumably it needs a belt, hopefully the cartridge would be OK since it's basically never been used.

I really only have a handful of vinyl and I'm not sure I want to get into it now or not. There's plenty of it available, but I've seen the comments about pressing quality varying wildly.

On the other hand, high-res digital is dead as a doornail it seems, whether it's SACD or anything else. There's a few websites like nativedsd.com, hdtracks.com. Selection is weak or at least doesn't align with what I want I guess.

Do you have the kind of stereo system to really appreciate the difference between hi res digital and high end streaming or a regular cd or record?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Generally yes. I mean, I'm not a total whackjob, and I know that mastering quality is the biggest factor, regardless of format. I'm very happy with CD too, I'm not like sitting around pouting about all the missing bits or w/e. It's mainly:

1) I already have the MMF-2.1, but I have almost no vinyl collection to speak of.
2) I have a DAC that supports higher bitrate and DSD.

So it's sort of, for music I don't already own, do I want to think about buying vinyl, or high res digital stuff, or still just get CDs. There isn't always overlap. Lots of newer recordings of classical stuff is available in digital formats (of sometimes questionable mastering quality), but not vinyl. Lots of more popular music these days is available on vinyl (but who knows what pressing quality) but not high res digital.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
What is wrong with the turntable right now? Have you tried it yet?

Why not just do all 3? CD is still great, well mastered/looked after cheap vinyl is great, high res/CD -res streamed music is good too. I wouldn't get too caught up in a single format. Especially DSD specifically. I check the thrift stores and stuff oftenand you'll find an SACD once in a while, their case is pretty distinctive so they're easy to pick out.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mederlock posted:

Why not just do all 3? CD is still great, well mastered/looked after cheap vinyl is great, high res/CD -res streamed music is good too. I wouldn't get too caught up in a single format. Especially DSD specifically. I check the thrift stores and stuff oftenand you'll find an SACD once in a while, their case is pretty distinctive so they're easy to pick out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

IMO at least around me vinyl prices right now are wack, even bargain bins full of trash are like $5 apiece and reprints of albums with millions of existing copies are $30-50. I wouldn't tell a newbie to get into it unless they inherited a collection or something.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I appreciate what everyone's saying about not being an either-or. I think qirex hits at what I was expressing very poorly.

I'm on the fence about getting into vinyl considering:
A) High res digital is available, although admittedly not as easily as I would like. Though qobuz looks interesting.
B) I have a turntable that's supposedly half decent, but I don't currently have a phono preamp at all to use with it, and the belt looks a little cracked so I would need to buy that to (only like $25 admittedly).

Given that I have only a few pieces of vinyl that are 'decent' and another handful of probably junk. The only semi-cool thing I have is the original 1999 NIN The Fragile never played. Though there's new pressings of that now so whatever.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I would never recommend anybody get into vinyl for the superior audiophile quality. I always recommend people get into it if they enjoy thrifting/garage sale-ing though.

But if you already have a good turntable and some records, just drop the $40 on a new belt and a preamp and at least play what you have. Your barrier to entry is very low right now.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

There’s a reason when I buy vinyl I tend to buy it on bandcamp, due to them adding the digital version to my library. The vinyl is there when I want it, but I’m finding that to be less and less often.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

I appreciate what everyone's saying about not being an either-or. I think qirex hits at what I was expressing very poorly.

I'm on the fence about getting into vinyl considering:
A) High res digital is available, although admittedly not as easily as I would like. Though qobuz looks interesting.
B) I have a turntable that's supposedly half decent, but I don't currently have a phono preamp at all to use with it, and the belt looks a little cracked so I would need to buy that to (only like $25 admittedly).

Given that I have only a few pieces of vinyl that are 'decent' and another handful of probably junk. The only semi-cool thing I have is the original 1999 NIN The Fragile never played. Though there's new pressings of that now so whatever.

If you were to get your TT working, how would you plan to play it? Do you have a receiver? Self powered speakers? Would you need an external phono pre or would you get a receiver/amp that has one? There are lots of options either way.

Vinyl is great fun, and I like it a lot, but it’s also not essential (no format is). Ideally you gently caress with multiple formats because it makes the act of going to a thrift store or yard sale and finding some cool poo poo for cheap much easier these days, but also I totally get not wanting to start accumulating CDs or cassettes in 2023. Ideally you have access to a bunch of inexpensive or free old LPs, because getting into only new pressings is a bit silly IMO and, like you’ve seen/said, pricey.

Ultimately, vinyl (or CD, or cassette) is not going to replace streaming for you (dropping in a requisite “gently caress Spotify” for the way they continue to gently caress over artists and make the landscape worse), and if you’re into hi-res stuff then it’s probably worth dropping the coin for Tidal or whatever (Qobuz is for dorks), or just sticking with the “highest quality” version of whatever you’re already using every day.

Just for curiosity’s sake: what genres do you like listening to? What kinds of records (or CDs, etc) would you be looking to grab? Are you a generalist? An amateur music historian? Are you only looking for post punk or industrial?

I like classical, and vinyl is still a great medium for collecting classical. You’re much likelier to find a spotless Deutsche Grammophon LP from the 60s that sounds like a dream recorded on air at a Goodwill store for $1 than you are a popular rock or pop LP worth holding onto in salvageable shape these days. You’ll have to go to dedicated record stores for those (DG is still pressing LPs, btw. I think my newest of theirs is the There Will Be Blood suite, but there’s a bunch of Vikingur Olafsson stuff that I’ve got on my wishlist).

Likewise, I’m into weird poo poo: foley and sound libraries and copyright-free stuff meant for broadcast; Christmas and holiday records from various time periods; novelty LPs; speeches and political releases; reference materials; etc. I’ve found that the broader your interests with this hobby, the cheaper (or, rather, the lower your barrier for enjoyment) is.

If, for example, you’re only into the Smiths and bands like the Smiths, then you’re pretty much gonna be limited to new pressings which sound great and cost new pressing money, or “collector pieces” on the used market which are going to cost a varying amount depending on lots of factors.

It doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg to build a sweet collection, but if you’re used to exclusively paying streaming prices or pirating everything, then it is gonna cost a bit more than that.

For popular used stuff, find a good and trustworthy record store in your area and stock up on some stuff from your favorite artists, or stuff you’d just really love to have, but don’t overpay for anything and don’t be afraid of grabbing a new pressing of something that you really want but is way expensive as an old or original pressing.

Also do be aware of value, though. That original NIN pressing is probably worth a fair bit and is definitely a cool thing to have. Records seem to be retaining and appreciating in value these days so don’t be afraid to have or buy a reasonable amount of collector pieces. But there’s also no good reason to drop three figures on a lovely copy of a Beatles or Bowie album that you really want in your collection when you can snag a clean new pressing for $15-20.

Granted, I’m also speaking as a 13 year “veteran” of the hobby’s current incarnation so it’s easy for me to be like “I grabbed a bunch of post punk and Kate Bush originals for like $15-30 a pop in 2011-2013 that are worth 5-10x that now! This hobby rules!” There are people who built priceless collections for nothing in the 2000s or kept up collections during the vinyl drought that I truly envy.

For new pressings, a quick discogs/Google/forums/etc search is your friend (the smartphone is far more essential to the resurgence of vinyl in the internet age than the manufacture of new turntables is). Some are great, some are not so great, some are arguably better than the original release. You have way more options nowadays for new vinyl than in the past, and with that comes the ability to save money if you shop smart. Black Friday is great for buying popular and new records from places like Target/Best Buy and especially Barnes and Noble. I’ve bought a ton of new records for anywhere from $4-15 from B&N sales. If you live in Newbury Comics land, then people rag on that store for being a funko pop Rick & Morty wasteland, but they sell lots of nifty records there and they do their own colored pressings. Also urban outfitters. I got a bunch of UU editions of various poo poo in the early 2010s and don’t regret any of them (except for maybe a Sky Ferreira album some goons told me to get), UU also does big sales and it’s not uncommon to find something you like enough to grab cheap.

If you’re into indie poo poo, a lot of labels will do periodic blowouts and deals. Buying direct from an artist or their small label at any time is good if you want to help stave off the destructive effects of the modern music industry. If you go to shows buying physical media is a good way to support artists and building a collection will prolly encourage you to attend more shows.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
My main listening right now is on headphones, with a so-so DAC that I'm planning on upgrading, a DIY headphone amp based on the SS Tabor and some Sennheiser HD600's. So I'd need a phono stage before my headphone amp to use with that, one with balanced output unfortunately.

My main 2ch setup has been scavenged over the last few years but I have some thoughts on rebuilding that, possibly with some full range fostex (or whatever is the hotness these days) rear horn speakers because I've always had a soft spot for them.

For medical reasons I'm not really in a position to be scouring music stores for vinyl so it'd probably just be stuff I can buy and ship, so financially the premium there probably weighs in a good amount, once I think about it. I do like the idea of supporting artists directly when I can, usually it would be easier to buy vinyl directly from them, it's not like they're selling high bitrate flac files on DVD at a concert.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

My main listening right now is on headphones, with a so-so DAC that I'm planning on upgrading, a DIY headphone amp based on the SS Tabor and some Sennheiser HD600's. So I'd need a phono stage before my headphone amp to use with that, one with balanced output unfortunately.

My main 2ch setup has been scavenged over the last few years but I have some thoughts on rebuilding that, possibly with some full range fostex (or whatever is the hotness these days) rear horn speakers because I've always had a soft spot for them.

For medical reasons I'm not really in a position to be scouring music stores for vinyl so it'd probably just be stuff I can buy and ship, so financially the premium there probably weighs in a good amount, once I think about it. I do like the idea of supporting artists directly when I can, usually it would be easier to buy vinyl directly from them, it's not like they're selling high bitrate flac files on DVD at a concert.

The good news about this hobby is that the buy-in for a solid system doesn’t have to be massively high (at least not compared to the cost of, like, building a truly enviable vinyl collection) and once you have good-enough parts you can pretty much sit back and collect/not collect whatever you want and it’ll still be worthwhile as long as you’re using it.

Hell even if it’s connected to your TV/gaming setup and you only use it for that it’ll be worth it. You already have a turntable that you say is good. Getting it in playing shape with a belt and maybe a new cartridge (AT VM95e) is gonna run you less than $100. Adding a preamp that you may/may not need depending on what your amp/receiver situation ends up being is another ~$120. You could also look at stuff like Schiit amps/preamps with onboard Phono for desktop headphone stuff. Maybe you end up getting a new turntable from a company like Audio Technica or UTurn. Still out $200-$400 for a device you’ll probably buy one time in your life, and most of those have onboard preamps that are good enough.

A new receiver/integrated amp will probably run you a bit more (or $200-400 depending on what you want- but you can get an AS501 or AS701 for $400-600 on Accessories4Less if you wait and I think those are “endgame” quality for most people), and a used one worth hanging onto could be obtained from Craigslist/etc for less than that. Some of those (mostly 2 channel) have onboard phono, most AV surround receivers do not, unless they’re made for nerds (more expensive).

There are good speaker deals ongoing and incoming for Black Friday. I recently picked up two pairs of JBL A180 floorstanders for $120 apiece. One pair is a chrimbus/belated wedding gift for my sister and her husband, and one pair is for me to gently caress around with. Even if I end up hating the speakers (I probably won’t, I really dig their smaller A130 siblings) the cabinets are worth more than that.

As far as full-range Fostex is concerned, Madisound has their 4” and 6” folded horn kits back in stock after like 3 years. I assume the 8” models are incoming, but those always were pricey.

For streaming/network storage poo poo, get yourself a Wiim of some flavor and you’re golden.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 14, 2023

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Hello!

I've been tasked with helping my friend fix a vintage turntable. It's a Technics SL-B3. At the very least, it needs a new belt. Where would I find a new belt and other compatible parts? Is there anything else we should replace while we're refurbing it?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

mariooncrack posted:

Hello!

I've been tasked with helping my friend fix a vintage turntable. It's a Technics SL-B3. At the very least, it needs a new belt. Where would I find a new belt and other compatible parts? Is there anything else we should replace while we're refurbing it?

Turntableneedles.com has you covered. You might want to look into replacing the needle if it's old and used. The page linked has a couple options depending on what you have already.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgengmlAsqM

pro click

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

I recognize JBL LE5's anywhere! LE5-2's work great in front horns as well.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I picked up this Pioneer H-R99 today at a thrift store for $37. I thought it looked familiar and that's because Techmoan did a video on it some years back.

It works and sounds surprisingly good. Most of my 8-tracks are falling apart though.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

wa27 posted:

I picked up this Pioneer H-R99 today at a thrift store for $37. I thought it looked familiar and that's because Techmoan did a video on it some years back.

It works and sounds surprisingly good. Most of my 8-tracks are falling apart though.

Heck of a bargain. Those sell on eBay for anywhere between several hundred and a thousand dollars in good working order.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I figured I would replace the veneered particleboard side panels on my receiver as the veneer is chipping off. I milled a couple of nice walnut boards to size, then when I went to remove the side panels I found out that they attach to the top panel as well. Making my simple 1 hour project much more significant. Still thinking of what I want to do, the top panel has some plastic venting on it that I'm not sure I'd be able to remove and re-use, so I may just leave it as is.

Here's the culprit:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I just realized Audio Technica re-released the Sound Burger and I really want one. Pair it with a Sonos Move 2 and I'd a pretty great indoor/outdoor portable vinyl setup.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Corb3t posted:

I just realized Audio Technica re-released the Sound Burger and I really want one. Pair it with a Sonos Move 2 and I'd a pretty great indoor/outdoor portable vinyl setup.

I picked one up to use as a portable / office player with an old set of powered monitors, and I use it way more often than my main setup now. Highly recommend

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Got a reel to reel mostly working and listened to a tape maybe for the first time since the 60s. Right channel is Ventures - Pipeline, left channel is I want to hold your hand.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A while back I posted asking if people had solutions for bulk CD storage. I ended up ordering a few Sidio half crates in their black Friday sale and they work great for CDs, with the dividers in I fit about 3 rows of 30 for ~90 discs per crate. I will still need a dozen crates for the whole project [plus one extra for oversized stuff] but they're made well and are very suited to the task. The only downside is the price.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Some of my cool stash:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

afen posted:

Some of my cool stash:

I love it all!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

evobatman posted:

I love it all!

Thank you! I really love 80s and 90s hifi with wood panels. I'm dreaming about a Sony TA-N77ES, but they're somewhat costly. Just look at it:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

afen posted:

Thank you! I really love 80s and 90s hifi with wood panels. I'm dreaming about a Sony TA-N77ES, but they're somewhat costly. Just look at it:

May I show you my Sony things?

This is hopefully its forever home in my home office:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

evobatman posted:

May I show you my Sony things?

Now we're talking! I really love the Sony ES stuff from the 80s and 90s. Would love to have a full Sony ES stack with wood panels.

I also have a TC-K715S which I serviced, bought it cheap just for the Dobly S.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
My mom has an old cabinet-stereo system like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0fTuKAQ6fk

The record player stopped working, and repair shop my mom tried to use said these were low quality and not worth fixing. Given that I'm looking for a replacement record player, probably new.

The system uses RCA connectors on the back that seem to be common on modern record players still. I didn't see an obvious way to power the new player from the system but I might doublecheck. If not I'll just have to fish the new one's power cord through the cabinet.

Any recommendations for a basic but solid replacement?

e: added pictures

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 5, 2024

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

My mom has an old cabinet-stereo system like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0fTuKAQ6fk

The record player stopped working, and repair shop my mom tried to use said these were low quality and not worth fixing. Given that I'm looking for a replacement record player, probably new.

The system uses RCA connectors on the back that seem to be common on modern record players still. I didn't see an obvious way to power the new player from the system but I might doublecheck. If not I'll just have to fish the new one's power cord through the cabinet.

Sometimes you can get whole consoles for free or cheap. Check Craigslist and local estate sale auctions. If they’re sleeker than the one you have, which is not really the desirable style of furniture right now, you might have to pay something. You could also check eBay for console phonographs that got salvaged from consoles.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

Sometimes you can get whole consoles for free or cheap. Check Craigslist and local estate sale auctions. If they’re sleeker than the one you have, which is not really the desirable style of furniture right now, you might have to pay something. You could also check eBay for console phonographs that got salvaged from consoles.

The console itself is an heirloom, it was my grandparents.

After doing a bit more research it seems like any decent modern player would work as long as it fits in the console.

Are there any features that are worth seeking out?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

The console itself is an heirloom, it was my grandparents.

After doing a bit more research it seems like any decent modern player would work as long as it fits in the console.

Are there any features that are worth seeking out?

For something like that, I think having auto-return (or at least auto-stop) is important. You don't want her to close the lid and forget that it's playing when it finishes.

Someone else would know better but I think there is a difference between ceramic and magnetic pre-amplification, and the stereo pre-amp is probably expecting a ceramic cartridge level, which won't be what you'll find on modern/decent turntables. I'm not sure how to make that work.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

What's wrong with the Zenith Turntable?

Usually on older record changers like that the grease in the mechanism is hardened and can be cleaned up and replaced with fresh grease.

I found a YT of what looks like the same turntable that had the same issue.

https://youtu.be/pESnrPiGW5c?si=NiVdFsPOKcdApQrH

Other common issues would be a bad a bad belt or idler wheel and Loose/broken tonearm wires.

Does the table spin?

captain chauncey
May 6, 2009

You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?
The wiring harness you have in your hand next to the RCA cables powers the turntable via the amp. The turntable (and indeed many other OEM console/combo unit tables) was made by BSR. This one might be a C123 family, but they were known for making countless models that were tiny tweaks on the same thing based on who they were supplying.

I have a '63 Magnavox console in my living room, and there's a ton to enjoy about them, but they're not super hi-fi or anything. So what happens is repair shops used to repairing vintage Thorens and the like write them off, but the reality is those decks are a pretty decent fit for the system they are mated to, and their construction is actually pretty foolproof. A de-grease on the mechanisms underneath, and a new idler wheel, is very likely to get it going again. On these and Garrards, when they seem completely dead, oftentimes that's all that's holding it back.

So if you're so inclined I wouldn't rule out spending a half a Saturday giving it a good clean in all the underside mechanicals, then order an idler wheel from someone like Voice of Music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

These record players were dirt simple. If you just open it up it might be immediately visible whatever is the cause of it not working. It already doesn't work and you already know that nobody else will fix it, it's not like you have anything to lose by messing around with it yourself.