Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I hate LP storage boxes because they're not conductive to showing off your collection. Properly spaced bookshelves remain my favorite method of storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

HKR posted:

I hate LP storage boxes because they're not conductive to showing off your collection. Properly spaced bookshelves remain my favorite method of storage.

Problem is I don't really show off my collection, I just like being able to browse through it easier, and hold everything closer to my turntable. But that's just me \/:)\/

katzinator
Apr 20, 2007
This food is making you crazy
I dunno, but $9 + shipping for a cardboard box and $25 + shipping for a cheapass wood crate seems like a ripoff. The Expedit shelving from Ikea is nearly the gold standard for many record nerds, as it is rather inexpensive, very customizable (comes in a variety of sizes/colors), and doesn't make your record collection look like it belongs in a broke college-kid's house.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

katzinator posted:

I dunno, but $9 + shipping for a cardboard box and $25 + shipping for a cheapass wood crate seems like a ripoff. The Expedit shelving from Ikea is nearly the gold standard for many record nerds, as it is rather inexpensive, very customizable (comes in a variety of sizes/colors), and doesn't make your record collection look like it belongs in a broke college-kid's house.

I would love the Expedit but I am a college kid and don't have the room :(. My solution is a bit creative and when I own a camera, I'll take a picture. I have a Jerker shelf thing that I stack my records on from Ikea that isn't in production anymore but I will definitely run out of space on it soon.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I have a 5x5 unit (roughly 6'x6') expedit that's almost full and ~10 7" boxes from bags-unlimited.com

Ruprit
Dec 25, 2005
This thread has been a huge help, thanks.

I thought I would post some pictures of my first foray into the world of records.

So I ended up breaking the included stylus, I'm not quite sure how exactly. I think it may have been when I took the cover off. The stylus was actually bent to one side and the tip was upside down, I have no idea how I pulled that off.

And the phono amp. Nice and simple looking.

So I was thinking about ordering an acrylic platter upgrade for the player. Is something like that worth it?

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
I just realized Ikea sells a tiny 2x2 Expedit that might interest a lot of people here with smaller collections. They are pretty inexpensive, small, and present a great way of displaying your collection!

Here is the link.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Ruprit posted:

So I ended up breaking the included stylus, I'm not quite sure how exactly. I think it may have been when I took the cover off. The stylus was actually bent to one side and the tip was upside down, I have no idea how I pulled that off.

Are you sure it didn't come like that? I can't imagine how you could bend it that bad without realizing it. Not to mention that if it was packaged in such a way so as to allow complete disfigurement, that's not your problem. I'd try to get the manufacturer to replace it.

Ruprit
Dec 25, 2005

muckswirler posted:

Are you sure it didn't come like that? I can't imagine how you could bend it that bad without realizing it. Not to mention that if it was packaged in such a way so as to allow complete disfigurement, that's not your problem. I'd try to get the manufacturer to replace it.

That's the problem, the cartridge was already assembled to the shaft and pre set-up. So it was either borked during manufacture or I did it. I'm not too broken up about it. I have read a recommend upgrade is to replace the included stylus anyway. It was a good learning experience overall, but if it was the motor on the other hand.

Beatles Love sounds amazing. I've only used AcousticSounds.com so far, but the shipment was very well packaged.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Ruprit posted:

That's the problem, the cartridge was already assembled to the shaft and pre set-up. So it was either borked during manufacture or I did it. I'm not too broken up about it. I have read a recommend upgrade is to replace the included stylus anyway. It was a good learning experience overall, but if it was the motor on the other hand.

Beatles Love sounds amazing. I've only used AcousticSounds.com so far, but the shipment was very well packaged.

Also, I don't know how the acrylic platter sounds, but it looks hot.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Ruprit posted:

Stuff

Ohh man that looks sooo sexy, i wonder if the wife would let me buy a new turntable.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Man, this thread is going to make me get my two sl-1200mk3ds with shure m44g carts and my stanton sk-2 out of the attic. It's about that time again.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

mcsuede posted:

Man, this thread is going to make me get my two sl-1200mk3ds with shure m44g carts and my stanton sk-2 out of the attic. It's about that time again.

Why are they in your attic in the first place..... Can I have one? :)

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
I picked up a vintage Sony receiver/tape player (HST-399, I think), and I'm getting crackle when I use the volume knob. How do I fix this?
Also, I always thought that if a stereo had a phono input, you wouldn't need an external amp for your record player, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this. Was I wrong, or could something be broken?
The other problem I'm having is the right speaker seems to be broken - it works sometimes when i bend the joint right by the plug (which looks like an RCA plug) but usually I just don't get any sound. Can I just cut the end off and reswizzle the plug somehow, or is there more to it than that?

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

helsabot posted:

I picked up a vintage Sony receiver/tape player (HST-399, I think), and I'm getting crackle when I use the volume knob. How do I fix this?
Also, I always thought that if a stereo had a phono input, you wouldn't need an external amp for your record player, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this. Was I wrong, or could something be broken?
The other problem I'm having is the right speaker seems to be broken - it works sometimes when i bend the joint right by the plug (which looks like an RCA plug) but usually I just don't get any sound. Can I just cut the end off and reswizzle the plug somehow, or is there more to it than that?

Taking the knob off and spraying a little Deoxit in the pot behind it may help.
For the cable, it sounds like there's a short right at the end where it goes into the connector. You can get replacement RCA plugs for the cable http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062472 (and the Deoxit) at Radio Shack.
My theory for the Phono input is that it's not really a phono input and it's actually a line input. Try plugging something else in there like a CD/DVD player and see if it sounds normal.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
I've been looking for a second-hand stereo receiver for my basement living area (the "man cave"). Ideally it would be 5.1 equipped but in the meantime any stereo amp would suffice as I'm desperate to begin working out my Microbe XT speakers.

I picked up a Yamaha R-100 for $5 at a yard sale recently. It needs a bit of cleaning and the balance knob needs to be tightened up from the inside, but the sound coming out of it and into the Microbes is impressively clean.

Anybody know anything about this receiver? My receiver in the main living area is a Yamaha RXV-795. I assume the R prefix means it's from the Natural Sound line and the 100 suggests it's a very early model. I know it debuted around 1982.

You know what else was pretty cool but doesn't belong in this thread? I picked up a rack-mountable Tascam DR-40 DAT recorder at the same yard sale, also for $5!

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005

BattleHork posted:

Taking the knob off and spraying a little Deoxit in the pot behind it may help.
For the cable, it sounds like there's a short right at the end where it goes into the connector. You can get replacement RCA plugs for the cable http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062472 (and the Deoxit) at Radio Shack.
My theory for the Phono input is that it's not really a phono input and it's actually a line input. Try plugging something else in there like a CD/DVD player and see if it sounds normal.

I got those plugs just now, and they mention a ground wire and a conductor wire, but all the contained wires for my speaker look the same (small and silver). How do i go about hooking them up? is part the ground and part the conductor?

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

helsabot posted:

I got those plugs just now, and they mention a ground wire and a conductor wire, but all the contained wires for my speaker look the same (small and silver). How do i go about hooking them up? is part the ground and part the conductor?

There's either two separated strands like these: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/thin%20wire.jpg
Or it looks more like the bottom one on here: http://www.ocinside.de/assets/lcd_display/cable_6.jpg with wire on the outside and a second layer of insulation containing another wire.

Connect one strand to the ground and one to the conductor pin, or the inner wire to the conductor and the outer wires wrapped around it to the ground depending on how the cable's constructed. Make sure that the wires don't short inside the connector.
If it doesn't sound like the other speaker then it's connected "out of phase." Simply reverse the connections in the plug.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
Gotcha - mine are like the first picture. When you say 'don't short', you mean the wires in each part shouldn't touch, right?
does every little wire have to be wrapped around each part? I only ask because i keep cutting a few of them when i strip the outside plastic :arghfist:

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

helsabot posted:

Gotcha - mine are like the first picture. When you say 'don't short', you mean the wires in each part shouldn't touch, right?
does every little wire have to be wrapped around each part? I only ask because i keep cutting a few of them when i strip the outside plastic :arghfist:

It is a-ok if you cut a few of the smaller wires.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
Cool - it seems to be working, just a little fragile. This might be a dumb question, but why is OK if some of the wires are cut? I'm assuming they're just transferring a current or something, which is why they don't all need to be there.
AND I tried plugging my CD player into the 'phono' output, and it sounded fine. Why would there be a fake phono input? Isn't the whole point that it amplifies the sound?
Anyways, thanks for the help guys

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I have a turntable, and I have a pair of speakers. What would be the cheapest way I could complete this puzzle and have me listening to my records? The OP suggests a $700 receiver which is ridiculous, I'm thinking in the $100-150 range, the cheaper the better. Is something like this or this basically the cheapest? Exclude buying vintage stuff used.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

abagofcheetos posted:

I have a turntable, and I have a pair of speakers. What would be the cheapest way I could complete this puzzle and have me listening to my records? The OP suggests a $700 receiver which is ridiculous, I'm thinking in the $100-150 range, the cheaper the better. Is something like this or this basically the cheapest? Exclude buying vintage stuff used.

The Teac is probably decent enough. You might also want to check out Harman Audio's ebay store http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Harman-Audio_Stereo-Receivers_W0QQ_fsubZ10225970QQ_sidZ26519532QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

I'm glad I found this thread as it has some good advice. I noticed something that isn't in the OP but really should be. For audiophile components on the cheap, you all should check out Emotiva. I just preordered the USP-1 preamplifier and am pretty excited. Below are a few links you might be interested in, and I'd say you must check them out before you buy your next component.

http://emotiva.com/
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XflLmNQEtU4

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot
Wow lots of people have the Marantz 2245 too!

Not sure if y'all can help, but I brought her out of my dads basement and it worked great for a few weeks, but now I'm starting to notice some fuzziness in the right channel. I'm using it as a headphone amp on my computer so its driving me crazy.

I never cleaned it up, is there something fairly simple I could do that might help ? I really don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks to have it fixed.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.
finally getting around to posting my setup...

technics sl1200mk2
harmon/kardon hk670
sony mdr7506
b&w dm302 (not hooked up, need some stands)

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

vibrantglow posted:

b&w dm302 (not hooked up, need some stands)

In the meantime, put down a few hardcover books and tilt the speakers back against the wall. It's a little ghetto, but the mapleshade guys do it sometimes and the're totally crazy bastards.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm new to vinyls. :shobon: So I have a few questions.
First off, I inherited a Realistic 430 table from my dad. I noticed that when I play a record with no headphones or speakers turned on the table itself is 'playing' the record. By that I mean I can faintly hear the songs playing. Why is it doing that? I thought I needed speakers for that.

I notice many people are using carbon brushes and cleaning solutions. Could I just use canned air to clean off my records, or do I really need those two instruments?

Also, how straight should records stand on their edges? Because I noticed one or two of my maxis' edges were slightly flipping outwards--not very noticeably until you put it on a table and turn it while watching its side. Should I squish all my records together?

[Note: I did buy most of my records used, and the maxis could have been slightly warped already. Best to be safe.]

e:VVV Thank you!

value-brand cereal fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 18, 2009

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Wedemeyer posted:

I noticed that when I play a record with no headphones or speakers turned on the table itself is 'playing' the record. By that I mean I can faintly hear the songs playing. Why is it doing that? I thought I needed speakers for that.
Because that's how records work. They're a single, long groove of the waveform of the music. You're hearing the stylus play the groove.

quote:

I notice many people are using carbon brushes and cleaning solutions. Could I just use canned air to clean off my records, or do I really need those two instruments?
That will get surface junk off, which is what carbon brushes mainly do. The important part that wet cleaning does is get the dust and crap out of the smaller, deeper grooves of the record. I give all of my albums an initial wet cleaning by hand, then a quick carbon brush on the platter every time I play them.

You don't need a VPI/Nitty Gritty, though. I hand clean mine with microfiber cloth and some homemade fluid from http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/fluids.html . Give them a decent amount of time to dry so you don't gently caress up your stylus. It's a little time consuming if you have a lot of records, though. I've got a backlog of probably 100 albums I haven't gotten around to cleaning yet.

quote:

Also, how straight should records stand on their edges? Because I noticed one or two of my maxis' edges were slightly flipping outwards--not very noticeably until you put it on a table and turn it while watching its side. Should I squish all my records together?
Records should stand as straight up as possible, without being squished together to much. Squishing them together, either by having a lot leaning on each other, shelving them to tight, or stacking them horizontally causes ringwear. Ringwear's the worn circle on the cover caused by pressing it against the record inside. Really heavy horizontal stacking can also cause compression warps, but you probably won't run into that. When you lean a bunch of records together, make sure you're not doing to many or the few records they're leaning against can warp against the edge/taco from the combined weight of the stack it's supporting.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I'm having a hard time on google finding reasonable phono pre-amp reviews. There are tons of these things, and its either this guy : http://www.phonopreamps.com/ (TCC TC-750) or crazy audiophile $5000 bullshit reviews from Stereophile. Do most people just have these built in to their receivers? Where do I find sensible information about this? Is it wrong just googling for 'phono preamp review'?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

bacon! posted:

I'm having a hard time on google finding reasonable phono pre-amp reviews. There are tons of these things, and its either this guy : http://www.phonopreamps.com/ (TCC TC-750) or crazy audiophile $5000 bullshit reviews from Stereophile. Do most people just have these built in to their receivers? Where do I find sensible information about this? Is it wrong just googling for 'phono preamp review'?

I just ordered this from Emotiva: http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm

I'm getting one from the first shipment next week, and check out their forums and they can answer some of your questions.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Ruprit posted:

This thread has been a huge help, thanks.

I thought I would post some pictures of my first foray into the world of records.

And the phono amp. Nice and simple looking.

So I was thinking about ordering an acrylic platter upgrade for the player. Is something like that worth it?

why do you need the phono amp? My dad has a 1980s technics turntable, and he recently bought a new pioneer 819 AH receiver. Does he need it for that?

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
The phono preamp amplifies the signal from the cartridge, which is much lower than line level. It's also got specific equalisation going on inside (RIAA, I believe) to get the record sounding as it should. Don't know if your old man is going to need a preamp, but chances are, a new receiver - won't be able to accomodate a turntable on its own.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Turnip Head posted:

I'm getting one from the first shipment next week, and check out their forums and they can answer some of your questions.

Do you work for them or something? Its not cheap and its definitely audiophile nonsense, plus this is the more vintage thread than "magic beans in a jar" thread.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Turnip Head posted:

That one looks nice and isn't too expensive, but it probably has too many features than what I need (i just need a phono stage). Also, I don't trust THEIR forums to tell me about it ;)

I've been able to find some decent reviews if I search for a particular model. The cambridge 640p seems to be well liked - http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA640P

If anyone wants to laugh at audiophiles, this review is particularly hilarious. http://stereophile.com/phonopreamps/908nag/

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Not an Anthem posted:

Do you work for them or something? Its not cheap and its definitely audiophile nonsense, plus this is the more vintage thread than "magic beans in a jar" thread.

No. In fact I just found out about them a few months ago and they're known for putting out really high end sound for A LOT less money than audiophile manufacturers. By the way, it's a 2-channel preamp (see thread title) and bacon! asked a question about where to find a reasonably priced preamp. Don't be a oval office.

bacon! posted:

That one looks nice and isn't too expensive, but it probably has too many features than what I need (i just need a phono stage). Also, I don't trust THEIR forums to tell me about it ;)

I'm primarily getting mine as a phono stage, but it doesn't hurt to have the ability to hook up a cassette deck and CD player, as well. If you don't get one by next week I can let you know how it is.

Also, if you check out their reviews section of the forum there are plenty of user reviews for their last preamp, the RSP-2, of which the USP-1 is built on the same platform but is stripped down with fewer features.
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rsp2
I know it's THEIR FORUMS, but it seems to be a pretty down to earth company and the guys that make the stuff will answer questions there, too. I know I sound like a rep or something, but I guess I'm just excited to get my preamp next week.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

proton posted:

Not sure if y'all can help, but I brought her out of my dads basement and it worked great for a few weeks, but now I'm starting to notice some fuzziness in the right channel. I'm using it as a headphone amp on my computer so its driving me crazy.

I never cleaned it up, is there something fairly simple I could do that might help ? I really don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks to have it fixed.

It sounds like you have a dirty connector somewhere. If you turn the knobs back and forth a lot, does it change the fuzziness at all?

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

This guy looks pretty fancy, and has a built in headphone amp to boot:
http://www.aiconsol.com/vp129-rolls.html

Reviews are extremely positive all-around

edit: I went to a local $$$$ stereo store that is a cambridge audio dealer and he told me that these inexpensive tube pre-amps are a scam and that I should get the cambridge audio 540p or 640p. He also claimed the 540p and 640p are the same if you use the moving magnet part, but the website claims otherwise

bacon! fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 21, 2009

kethdredd
Jun 28, 2003

That girl is POISON!

proton posted:

Wow lots of people have the Marantz 2245 too!

Get some Deoxit, available at Radio Shack.

Here is a link on how to best clean an older receiver.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot
So I cleaned the entire receiver, only to find out it was a bad 1/8" extension wire....

Oh well, it needed a good cleaning anyway. The knobs move easier now and there is no fuziness at all when changing the volume like there used to be.

Helloooo mildew:

edit:

The sound is scratchy off and on for certain frequencies for a good 15 minutes after being turned on. Is this normal ? After that its pretty much flawless. Is that just the way these old units are ?

proton fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 3, 2009