Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

my turn in the barrel posted:

What's wrong with the Zenith Turntable?

Does the table spin?

captain chauncey posted:

So if you're so inclined I wouldn't rule out spending a half a Saturday giving it a good clean in all the underside mechanicals, then order an idler wheel from someone like Voice of Music.

evobatman posted:

These record players were dirt simple. If you just open it up it might be immediately visible whatever is the cause of it not working. It already doesn't work and you already know that nobody else will fix it, it's not like you have anything to lose by messing around with it yourself.

It's been awhile since I played with it, but it seemed to not do anything regardless of input, or which button/switches were on or off. There wasn't anything obviously fried or broken last time I looked at it, but I didn't do much besides flip it over and inspect it.

It could very well be gummed up bearings and you're right that its probably worth poking at it a bit more myself before giving up and buying a new one.

I'll probably be back with more questions soon. Thanks for the help so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
Snagged this old Sanyo boombox at the swap meet yesterday for :10bux:. Everything seems to work aside from the tape player, which I'm guessing needs new belts. It has line in so I can use my phone at least but it's a bit of a bummer since I have a decent tape collection. Hifiengine is the only place I found that has a service manual PDF but registration is closed - anyone have access?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

kynikos posted:

Snagged this old Sanyo boombox at the swap meet yesterday for :10bux:. Everything seems to work aside from the tape player, which I'm guessing needs new belts. It has line in so I can use my phone at least but it's a bit of a bummer since I have a decent tape collection. Hifiengine is the only place I found that has a service manual PDF but registration is closed - anyone have access?

Cool looking unit. Here's the manual:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/odmvwr2v2cl1uh4d3t83s/hfe_sanyo_c-3d_en_es.pdf?rlkey=2ofqcvjbe5md8bpre5qquwfd8&dl=0

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

Thanks so much! I don't know much about 80s boomboxes but saw Dolby NR, a metal tape option, and made in Japan so I figured I couldn't really go wrong.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

kynikos posted:

Sanyo's two-pronged marketing approach of babes and dachshunds was good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NasVQMV8L-4

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Sanyo's two-pronged marketing approach of babes and dachshunds was good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NasVQMV8L-4

Hah thats pretty good

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

We recently moved and I've spent the last eight weeks fixing walls doing other renovation type stuff. Anyway, I finally had a free evening to unpack the stereo and set up Dirac Live on the miniDSP. I can't describe how happy I am to finally have good sound again after living with the Sonos for two months. No knock against the Sonos, it sounds amazing for its size, but it's easy to forget just how much better a real stereo sounds.

That is all.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Found one of my favorite turntables to resale, a Technics SL-D2. It was coated in in cigarette tar, but after some scrubbing and a simple service it's working great. When it stops raining tomorrow I'll set it out in the sun for awhile to kill off the last of the smell.

This was a white paper towel.

Also found a Dual 1019, but that goes to a friend that likes those stupid things.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TooLShack posted:

Found one of my favorite turntables to resale, a Technics SL-D2. It was coated in in cigarette tar, but after some scrubbing and a simple service it's working great. When it stops raining tomorrow I'll set it out in the sun for awhile to kill off the last of the smell.

Also found a Dual 1019, but that goes to a friend that likes those stupid things.

Acrylic looking good!

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Yeah, normally I hit it with some Mcguires scratch X, but it didn't need it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

TooLShack posted:

<:mad:>

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

TooLShack posted:

I found one of these on the side of the road once. Took it home and all it needed was a new stylus. Weird thing was that I had purchased the same model a few months earlier so now I have two.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

sporklift posted:

I found one of these on the side of the road once. Took it home and all it needed was a new stylus. Weird thing was that I had purchased the same model a few months earlier so now I have two.

get a dj mixer and run them both

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

trilobite terror posted:

get a dj mixer and run them both

I already have a separate DJ set up. The Technics is the living room player and I figured just keep the other one around for parts/replacement if one goes down. It's a great player.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Picked up this beauty today for $25 off Facebook. Sounds great, just needs a belt if I want to use the cassette.

As the largest member of the family, it takes the new top spot.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

lol for some reason

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hey folks,

I've got a JVC JA-S55 integrated amp that was gifted to me a few years ago, and has mostly sat unused since. I noticed the other day when giving it a run that the output is noticeably down on one channel, and that it's actually visible on the VU meter. Seems to be the case regardless of the input etc.

I have the original manual in a drawer which i recall has block diagrams and what not, and I'm a pretty decent solderer, but don't have a huge amount of experience working with amps and such. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction with regard to what I should be pointing a multimeter at?

I don't think it's a dirty switch/pot/contact, as I gave them a solid clean not that long ago, and the issue doesn't seem to improve/deteriorate regardless of what I do with the controls. Thinking maybe a deteriorating cap or something?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Don Dongington posted:

Hey folks,

I've got a JVC JA-S55 integrated amp that was gifted to me a few years ago, and has mostly sat unused since. I noticed the other day when giving it a run that the output is noticeably down on one channel, and that it's actually visible on the VU meter. Seems to be the case regardless of the input etc.

I have the original manual in a drawer which i recall has block diagrams and what not, and I'm a pretty decent solderer, but don't have a huge amount of experience working with amps and such. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction with regard to what I should be pointing a multimeter at?

I don't think it's a dirty switch/pot/contact, as I gave them a solid clean not that long ago, and the issue doesn't seem to improve/deteriorate regardless of what I do with the controls. Thinking maybe a deteriorating cap or something?

It's best to do a good visual check first. Be careful with capacitors, discharge them if you know how to do it safely, and then look for bulging caps, blown out or slightly burnt resistors, check the transistors where they'll probably be mounted on a heatsink, just give it a thorough check. More often than not the broken part will be obvious.

Next step is probably testing caps, yeah

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there such a thing as a tiny amp that just takes output from a turntable and can power two speakers? Everything I'm seeing are like, AVR receivers with HDMI and it makes me think I'm not looking up the right search terms. Basically we have a small space for a turntable setup in our kitchen, and to keep it ~aesthetic~ I just want the turntable and speakers to be seen.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

EC posted:

Is there such a thing as a tiny amp that just takes output from a turntable and can power two speakers? Everything I'm seeing are like, AVR receivers with HDMI and it makes me think I'm not looking up the right search terms. Basically we have a small space for a turntable setup in our kitchen, and to keep it ~aesthetic~ I just want the turntable and speakers to be seen.

yes. There are a few high end brands making them Such as this NAD, and all the rest are aliexpress sixletters. Here's a random one I found on amazon.. Note this doesn't have a pre-amp, so your turn table either needs one or you need an external one. Or you need to find one with one built in like the NAD.

HKR fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 25, 2024

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
FOSI audio makes loads of decently reviewed small class D amps and small phono preamps

E: beaten on the FOSI link

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'll probably be back with more questions soon. Thanks for the help so far.

I'm back with some more questions about the Zenith console record player I'm trying to get working.

Previously I'd thought it needed a full restoration, but I misremembered and it has in fact been nicely cleaned and lubricated.

I played around with it for awhile and it seemed to work as intended, but both of the old needles I had on hand didn't seem to work right. One was clearly broken and didn't work at all, the other worked just barely but sounded awful.

Where's a good place to source replacement needles? I don't have the first clue what I'm looking for so I'm hoping this machine uses fairly standard ones

The back of the package one of them came in looks like this:

e: added pic

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 25, 2024

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

HKR posted:

yes. There are a few high end brands making them Such as this NAD, and all the rest are aliexpress sixletters. Here's a random one I found on amazon.. Note this doesn't have a pre-amp, so your turn table either needs one or you need an external one. Or you need to find one with one built in like the NAD.

Perfect, thanks!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I have that Fosi and for a pre-amp I've got the Phono-Box S2 for the as it can handle MM and MC carts. My input switcher is bigger than both and that's only because it was the smallest one I could find with a built in Bluetooth receiver.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
N'thing the Fosi Audio or similarly good Chinese amps, they're outrageously good for the price and form factor

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Also if anyone does know of a smaller source switcher with integrated bluetooth I'm all ears. Ideally just 2 sources, bluetooth and whatever line is plugged in the back and a single output.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm back with some more questions about the Zenith console record player I'm trying to get working.

Previously I'd thought it needed a full restoration, but I misremembered and it has in fact been nicely cleaned and lubricated.

I played around with it for awhile and it seemed to work as intended, but both of the old needles I had on hand didn't seem to work right. One was clearly broken and didn't work at all, the other worked just barely but sounded awful.

Where's a good place to source replacement needles? I don't have the first clue what I'm looking for so I'm hoping this machine uses fairly standard ones

The back of the package one of them came in looks like this:

e: added pic

Forgive if I get a bit too basic here, but you said you don't have the first clue on what you're looking for so I'm gonna roll with that.

That's a 78RPM needle, which will only work with shellac 78RPM discs. For the most part, getting good sound out of those discs and needles isn't really feasible, because they didn't sound all that good ever. For example, listen to the internet archive's 78RPM archive here https://archive.org/details/78rpm

This also means they won't work on more "modern" records, which are 33 1/3rd or 45rpm and take a completely different type of needle. Hopefully you didn't try to play a 33 1/3rd rpm with it, you might have damaged them.

I would directly contact the folks over at https://www.turntableneedles.com/ and tell them what you have. They'll likely be able to tell you what you need, and might even stock it.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

HKR posted:

Forgive if I get a bit too basic here, but you said you don't have the first clue on what you're looking for so I'm gonna roll with that.

That's a 78RPM needle, which will only work with shellac 78RPM discs. For the most part, getting good sound out of those discs and needles isn't really feasible, because they didn't sound all that good ever. For example, listen to the internet archive's 78RPM archive here https://archive.org/details/78rpm

This also means they won't work on more "modern" records, which are 33 1/3rd or 45rpm and take a completely different type of needle. Hopefully you didn't try to play a 33 1/3rd rpm with it, you might have damaged them.

I would directly contact the folks over at https://www.turntableneedles.com/ and tell them what you have. They'll likely be able to tell you what you need, and might even stock it.

Thanks!

I'll look into the site you linked at the end.

We definitely tried to play the wrong type of record with it but picked one that no one cared about.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

HKR posted:

Yeah, that poster has a changeover stylus, as fitted to many, many automatic record changers with ceramic cartridges. It will absolutely play modern records.

It has a 78RPM sapphire stylus on one side of the cantilever, and a normal spherical diamond stylus for modern LP records on the other.

You select what type of record you're playing by flipping the little white tab to the left or right side of the cartridge so it shows either 78 or LP on the top, which rotates the cantilever, and puts the correct stylus facing groove side down.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Thanks!

I'll look into the site you linked at the end.

We definitely tried to play the wrong type of record with it but picked one that no one cared about.

I'd start by making sure it's on the LP side first.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EC posted:

Perfect, thanks!

Does your turntable have a built-in preamp? If it's a vintage one, this is unlikely, and you'll need an additional preamp. If it's more modern, it may have it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Endless Mike posted:

Does your turntable have a built-in preamp? If it's a vintage one, this is unlikely, and you'll need an additional preamp. If it's more modern, it may have it.

Yeah I bought a Fluance RT81 and it said it has a built in pre-amp, so I should be ok.

Probably gonna spend way more money on bookshelf speakers next. 😂

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Get some active/powered speakers and you won't need an separate amp at all, just plug them right into the turntable.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Eyud posted:

Get some active/powered speakers and you won't need an separate amp at all, just plug them right into the turntable.

Part of this little project is being able to replace this ancient Bose Bluetooth thing we have in the kitchen, so I got one of these things that says it supports BT. Hopefully everything will work so I'll be able to play records or stream music from phones whenever we're cooking or hanging out.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Some active bookshelf speakers have Bluetooth as well! But that Fosi will work fine, and separate components are nice if you want to upgrade in the future.

captain chauncey
May 6, 2009

You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

You’ll want a new flip over needle that has a 0.7mm tip for LP’s, compared to 78’s that use a 3mm. They’re pretty easy to source but here’s one such place:

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=855&SearchType=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Tetrad&Categories=

If that box is indeed the correct 78 stylus, it suggests you have a Tetrad 13 or 33 (which is plausible, they were fitted to quite a few of those tables).

If you don’t have any 78’s and have no plans on ever playing one, the M855-DD77 has both sides with LP styli. The M855-DS73 has the more classic setup, one LP diamond and the other side a sapphire for 78s.

Again you’ll want to confirm this is your cartridge, I’m basing this on the assumption that box is for your cartridge to begin with. You can usually reach out to them for some needle help to be sure.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

captain chauncey posted:

You’ll want a new flip over needle that has a 0.7mm tip for LP’s, compared to 78’s that use a 3mm. They’re pretty easy to source but here’s one such place:

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=855&SearchType=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Tetrad&Categories=

If that box is indeed the correct 78 stylus, it suggests you have a Tetrad 13 or 33 (which is plausible, they were fitted to quite a few of those tables).

If you don’t have any 78’s and have no plans on ever playing one, the M855-DD77 has both sides with LP styli. The M855-DS73 has the more classic setup, one LP diamond and the other side a sapphire for 78s.

Again you’ll want to confirm this is your cartridge, I’m basing this on the assumption that box is for your cartridge to begin with. You can usually reach out to them for some needle help to be sure.

Thanks for the lead, I sent V-M a question email.

After googling for half an hour I think I understand your explanation. It also reminded me that the needles we had on hand did have two sides and I'm pretty sure mom corrected me when I had it on the 78 side.

These needles are definitely of unknown origin though.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I have an old Scott receiver that has too much static in the controls and switches so I go to my electronics workbench in the basement I haven't used in a few years. Its a little buried so I spend a hour cleaning it so I can work. Get the receiver torn down to where I can access the pots and switches without sending anything flying or breaking parts, pull out my nearly full can of deoxit and its out of propellant. Guess I'll work on getting better lighting while I wait for a new can to show up.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Crossposting from the music forum:

I picked up an Amber Model 17 preamp at Goodwill today for $9.99. I had a gift card that I had to use by Wednesday, so I didn't mind taking a risk on it. Doing some research, it seems like it's a pretty high quality unit, even audiophile quality.

I'm not sure how to use it though... I currently have an old Pioneer SX680, which isn't exactly high wattage, and I don't really think I need a preamp going into this amp (educate me if I'm wrong, though!)

It powers on, but I haven't plugged it into anything yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CornHolio posted:

Crossposting from the music forum:

I picked up an Amber Model 17 preamp at Goodwill today for $9.99. I had a gift card that I had to use by Wednesday, so I didn't mind taking a risk on it. Doing some research, it seems like it's a pretty high quality unit, even audiophile quality.

I'm not sure how to use it though... I currently have an old Pioneer SX680, which isn't exactly high wattage, and I don't really think I need a preamp going into this amp (educate me if I'm wrong, though!)

It powers on, but I haven't plugged it into anything yet.

The SX680 is an integrated amp/receiver, so it has its own preamp built in. You’ll want to connect that thing either to a preamp-free power amp of some sort or to something that has a power amp but no preamp, such as most off-the-shelf self powered monitor speakers.

That’s a really nice find. What does it look like from the back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

trilobite terror posted:

The SX680 is an integrated amp/receiver, so it has its own preamp built in. You’ll want to connect that thing either to a preamp-free power amp of some sort or to something that has a power amp but no preamp, such as most off-the-shelf self powered monitor speakers.

That’s a really nice find. What does it look like from the back?

That's what I thought. I think I'll hold on to this until I need it. Seems like a good piece of kit.

Here's the back:

edit: this Goodwill also had a Nakamichi BX-300 tape deck for $40 and a pair of 3D Acoustics 3D610B speakers, which were in rough shape but only $20 for the pair.

I went back looking for the tape deck because after some research, they're worth a decent bit of money and very highly regarded, but it was already gone. The speakers were gone too, but needed work and I was less interested in them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 12, 2024