Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
A white PS3? Whaaaaaaaaat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Pibborando San posted:

A white PS3? Whaaaaaaaaat?

There were white and silver editions released in Japan.

PS3 games are conveniently region free.

Thuel
Aug 6, 2007
I'm in the process of putting together my first real music system. I'll mostly be using it for playing music off my laptop/ipod/turntable and mostly listen to indie rock and hip hop. I'd spend upwards of $1500, but I'm just really looking to get the best value. I've never been a fan of big ugly hi-fi equipment, so design is also important to me. When it comes to power and technical aspects, I'm just learning as I go along. So far I've found some things I like and some deals in my area, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've kind of fallen in love with the all around package of the Peachtree Nova, but the little brother the Decco is cheaper if it could accomplish what I need. The simplicity and design are really what I like most. As far as I know, I'll just need a phono stage to integrate my turntable. My worry is that it isn't designed with the turntable in mind and might not have enough power for decent speakers. I'm not against a vintage tube amp, but they just seem bulkier and require more care.

http://signalpathint.com/index.php/decco/the-decco.html

As far as speakers go, I'm looking at a used pair of B&W DM601 S3 which seem to be a good deal at $300. Would that amp be able to power that?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Thuel posted:

I'm in the process of putting together my first real music system. I'll mostly be using it for playing music off my laptop/ipod/turntable and mostly listen to indie rock and hip hop. I'd spend upwards of $1500, but I'm just really looking to get the best value. I've never been a fan of big ugly hi-fi equipment, so design is also important to me. When it comes to power and technical aspects, I'm just learning as I go along. So far I've found some things I like and some deals in my area, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've kind of fallen in love with the all around package of the Peachtree Nova, but the little brother the Decco is cheaper if it could accomplish what I need. The simplicity and design are really what I like most. As far as I know, I'll just need a phono stage to integrate my turntable. My worry is that it isn't designed with the turntable in mind and might not have enough power for decent speakers. I'm not against a vintage tube amp, but they just seem bulkier and require more care.

As far as speakers go, I'm looking at a used pair of B&W DM601 S3 which seem to be a good deal at $300. Would that amp be able to power that?

Look into Emotiva. I bought a USP-1 Preamp, UPA-2 Amp, and 2 ERM-1 Speakers. They are very well regarded as the best bang for the buck, plus they have a great 5 year warranty on all of their equipment. Additionally, I have an Energy ESW-8 sub and a Pro-Ject RM-5.1 SE turntable.

With your budget, I'd consider:
http://emotiva.com/erm62.shtm (currently on sale)
http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm
http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm
A sub...I don't have much expertise in this area. If the space isn't too big, I got mine at Costco for $100, and it works quite well for a smaller room. If you're looking for one to power a living room, though, you might want to get a larger one.

My setup sounds amazing. You can also find very good reviews on all of those components I recommended. Call Emotiva and see if they have any of those in b-stock. You can save even more money that way.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: And I forgot to mention they have a 30 day trial period, though you'd have to pay return shipping. Nevertheless, it gives you some peace of mind.

Ghumbs fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 26, 2009

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe
Emotiva is a good place to look. You might also want to check out Ascend Acoustics (http://www.ascendacoustics.com/). I have some of their "low-end" CBM-170SE and they sound absolutely amazing. Ascend is definitely another good bang for the buck speaker brand, and they also have the 30 day trial period.

You can save some money by picking up their B stock speakers, too. From what I've heard a lot of people get flawless speakers somehow labeled as B stock.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."
So I want to get started with vinyl, mainly for the sound quality but also because occasionally a band will release their stuff as vinyl only. I'm on a budget, so I'm not looking for top-notch sound, just a significant improvement over the ipod/generic earbuds setup I'm using now.

I don't mind buying used, but my DIY/tinkering days are over so I'm not really interested in something vintage that will require a lot of maintenance or repairs.

Due to budget reasons, but also due to apartment living, I want to go with a headphones only setup until some point in the future when I can shell out for a proper amp and speaker setup. This leaves (as far as I can tell) a table, a preamp/headphone amp, and cans.

For the table I was looking at maybe a Pro-Ject Debut III (~350 new). Seems like they get good reviews, although I can't tell from the description if it includes a stylus, which is an extra cost. What else is out there at a similar quality/price point?

Phono preamp/Headphone amp: I have no idea with this one, as in what's required, what's good, how much I'll have to spend, etc.

Headphones: I currently own a pair of Grado cans, either the SR-60 or SR-80. They sound pretty nice so they'd definitely be the last to be upgraded, especially since I don't own the other stuff yet.

Price: I'd like to keep this reasonable, although I don't know what constitutes reasonable for these type of components. Any insight would be great.

Cheers.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

I can only advise based upon my experience but if I were you I'd get:
Pro-Ject Debut III or Rega P1 (both same price point, both come with a stylus) ~350
Emotiva USP-1 Preamp (has both headphone and phono) ~400
Grado SR-125 ~150

I'd say the turntable and preamp are about as cheap as you'd want to go, especially if you ever want to buy an amp/speakers. The Grado SR-60 or SR-80 are fine choices, as well, so buy the headphones last with whatever you have left.

I just sold a Debut III for 250, so look for a used one of those in nice shape and that would save you a bit. The USP-1 is still fairly new, but you might as well call Emotiva and see if they have one in b-stock, which could save you around 50-100. Look for used Grados and save a good amount.

The number one site I recommend for used is Audiogon. Their grading scale is strict and the users seem pretty honest and knowledgeable, so it's a great place to keep your eyes open. There are a couple used Pro-Ject tables up right now.

Let me know if you need anymore help. Also, what's your budget?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Thuel posted:

I have the Decco and like it a lot. The power is plenty, 50W is nothing to sneeze at, they aren't bullshit watts. I never turn the thing up past like 1/3 of the way. I even used it with rather low efficiency (like 83dB) speakers for a while and it was perfectly adequate. The DAC in it is just awesome. I love it.

Currently I'm using it for my main system in the living room, but it really shines as a computer amp. Gotta love the USB DAC. I'm getting a 5.1 receiver for the living room soon and it will go back to my computer.

Also, holy poo poo, Signal Path has the Decco for $500 right now! http://signalpathint.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=170

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ddogflex posted:

Also, holy poo poo, Signal Path has the Decco for $500 right now! http://signalpathint.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=170

That is a great price. Also, go with Rosewood. It looks classy.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

TheMadMilkman posted:

That is a great price. Also, go with Rosewood. It looks classy.

Yeah, I have the black and wish I had went with the rosewood. I've seen it in person, looks great.

Thuel
Aug 6, 2007

ddogflex posted:

I have the Decco and like it a lot. The power is plenty, 50W is nothing to sneeze at, they aren't bullshit watts. I never turn the thing up past like 1/3 of the way. I even used it with rather low efficiency (like 83dB) speakers for a while and it was perfectly adequate. The DAC in it is just awesome. I love it.

Currently I'm using it for my main system in the living room, but it really shines as a computer amp. Gotta love the USB DAC. I'm getting a 5.1 receiver for the living room soon and it will go back to my computer.

Yeah, it seems like that's going to be the way to go at that price. REALLY hard to justify the jump to the Nova if I'm just running a pair of bookshelf speakers at moderate volume. The DAC really just pushes the package over the edge.

Now I'm just trying to decide to go with the used B&W 601s or try and track down a set of Era speakers to match.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

How about some TCA WAF-1s or AV123 ELT525s?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Turnip Head posted:

How about some TCA WAF-1s or AV123 ELT525s?

I really really like the 525M for a small speaker. They look extremely nice as well, which is a plus. I use them with the TCA Gizmo t-amp (~$120) and a TSC ASW-8 sub (~$100), and it's a loving awesome computer/bedroom setup for about $400-500.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Thuel posted:

Wow I can't believe I missed the part about the Decco. I have that amp myself and it will not disappoint at all. Don't worry. It is more than worth it for $500. I use it with the cbm-170SE's I mentioned above, which are 89db/w/m, compared to the 88db/w/m for the DM601s, and I have never had to turn it up past about a quarter to fill up my listening room, which is about 13x13.

Signal Path is a great company too. I bought a refurbed Decco about a year ago from listenup.com (also great guys) and it didn't work when it came. I called up Signal Path, and Dave Solomon himself answered the phone. I worked with him and Listenup and had my amp fixed in no time. Signal Path paid return shipping; hell, they even sent out the FedEx guy to my place to pick the thing up. It was pretty crazy to actually deal with the same guy I had read about in all the reviews of the amp instead of some nameless customer service monkey. If you are looking for a company with absolutely amazing customer service, you can't go wrong with the Peachtree.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I got a Technics SL-1510 for cheap a couple years ago. It played fine until about a month ago when it started to be unable to keep a constant speed. I assume it's the motor going bad. Is there anything that can be done? It has motor # SFMZ150-01Z printed on it, but when I search for that it's listed as the stator. I don't want to spend $60 on a part that might not fix it, so any help would be appreciated.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
It's more than likely the fault of a dirty potentiometer (the small knobs that control the speed) Just need to spray some good cleaner down inside the guts of the adjustment knob. Work the knob back and forth, spray again, repeat.

Here's a thread with instructions on how to access the pots on a similar table:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199988

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Thanks, I'll try that. It would be really cool if all it needs is a cleaning.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

To those looking for a really awesome preamp with both a headphone amp and phono stage, I just came across this on Audiogon:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1262043482&/Emotiva-USP-1-Preamp

Same unit as I have and it's great. Plus, the 5 year warranty is transferable, so you should get about 4.5+ years.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I need to take a picture, but I've got an old Sansui QRX-7500 quad receiver which has a random JVC CD player and a Thorens TD160 (with a Shure V15-III) hooked into it. I use a couple of Sansui 3-ways (that I assume are from the 80's) for output; they're nothing special, but I can't complain since I got the whole setup for free. :)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I found an 80 lb box sitting on the top of my steps today.

For those that don't know, this is the Concept 16.5 receiver. Made in the late 70s with a run of somewhere between 1200-2500, this is probably one of the best solid state receivers built by man. 165 watts per channel, dual mono. Each channel has it's own power transformer, creating the best stereo image outside of running two separate amps.

This fucker is LOUD and sounds absolutely amazing. If you ever find one, you should get it.

plateau need ROIDS!
Apr 14, 2009
So I found out that my parents have an old Pioneer SX - 535. I tried it out and it seems that only the left speaker works. I switched them and again only the left one worked. Any idea of what the problem is? Would this be an easy fix? Is it worth fixing?

WAIL
Jan 31, 2007

I Dunno
I was wondering if someone could help me out here. My record player is picking up Mexican radio. Is there any way to stop this? Google tells me to put a ferrite choke around the ground wire so I bought one, and it doesn't help. Any suggestions?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

WAIL posted:

I was wondering if someone could help me out here. My record player is picking up Mexican radio. Is there any way to stop this? Google tells me to put a ferrite choke around the ground wire so I bought one, and it doesn't help. Any suggestions?

You know what I want to know, why is it always loving Mexican radio stations? I've never had some bullshit pick up a rock station or anything like that. :tinfoil:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ddogflex posted:

You know what I want to know, why is it always loving Mexican radio stations? I've never had some bullshit pick up a rock station or anything like that. :tinfoil:

When's the last time you listened to an AM station?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I finally put together my (mostly)vintage stereo system - every single item pictured came from either the Salvation Army or Goodwill and it took me six years to piece it all together. It all works, even the reel-to-reel.

I'm still trying to find better speakers, the ones I'm using now are Frankensteinian abortions made up of parts from like five different vinatge speakers housed in old Realistic boxes.

Bang & Olefson Beomaster 4400 reciever
Kenwood KD-3070 turntable
Ampex 1100 reel-to-reel tape recorder
Pioneer 8-track recorder
some piece of poo poo cassette deck from the Eighties
Sony 200 CD player
Radio Shack 3-deck dubbing switchbox

One question, though, what are the little rubber cups called that hold the reel from falling off the spindle(see arrow in photo)? And where can I get them? Right now I'm using masking tape, which is too ghetto even for me.

plateau need ROIDS!
Apr 14, 2009
So I bought a Direct Drvie Technics sl-1600. It is in good shape and works. But it doesn't have a cartridge. It doesn't have the component that connects the tonearm to a cartridge (they call them headshells?). Anyway, I just wanted to know if anybody here has had experience with this particular model--what sort of cart did you buy for it? The tonearm looks like it would fit any after market cart/headshell. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

This might not be exactly the right thread for this question but I imagine all the right know-how is here. What's the path of least resistance from vinyl to headphones? I have a set of Grado SR80s and I'm always impressed by their clarity. I'm thinking I'd like to get a taste of this analog magic everyone's on about. So, I'd like to set up some sort of vinyl listening station that can sit next to an armchair. I'd probably like to keep this project under a couple of hundred dollars in case it ends up underwhelming and I want to hawk it on cragslist.

So, how does this set-up look?

Turntable--> Preamp--> Headphone Amp-->Headphones

Can I simplify that at all with a turntable that has a built in preamp? How about just plugging the headphones into a preamp with a volume knob?

Edit: Gah, this question was already asked at the top of this very page. Sorry.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 23, 2009

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

This might not be exactly the right thread for this question but I imagine all the right know-how is here. What's the path of least resistance from vinyl to headphones? I have a set of Grado SR80s and I'm always impressed by their clarity. I'm thinking I'd like to get a taste of this analog magic everyone's on about. So, I'd like to set up some sort of vinyl listening station that can sit next to an armchair. I'd probably like to keep this project under a couple of hundred dollars in case it ends up underwhelming and I want to hawk it on cragslist.

So, how does this set-up look?

Turntable--> Preamp--> Headphone Amp-->Headphones

Can I simplify that at all with a turntable that has a built in preamp? How about just plugging the headphones into a preamp with a volume knob?

Edit: Gah, this question was already asked at the top of this very page. Sorry.

I'm sure I come across like a broken record (heh) with this recommendation, but here's what I use and I promise you it will be the best for the money by far, though maybe more expensive than you can do: http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm

Plus it's on sale right now. Great headphones, by the way. I have a pair of SR225s and I love them, although I bought an amp and speakers so they haven't been getting a ton of use lately.

Dirtyhat
Mar 29, 2005

You got moxie, kid.
Any recommendations for a tape player that would double as a copier (I know, pretty much any double tape deck, but I'm looking for something that would do it quickly.) I'm thinking this would be a little pricier then a consumer grade tape player, but if I had some place to start it would help.

I'm looking for it to add to my stereo set-up, but also to duplicate some noise experiments that friends and I have done.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Dirty, get a tape duplicator. They come in a lot of sizes and are relatively cheap, you just throw tapes on and it copies them en masse, you can find em on craigslist

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Turnip Head posted:

I'm sure I come across like a broken record (heh) with this recommendation, but here's what I use and I promise you it will be the best for the money by far, though maybe more expensive than you can do: http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm

Plus it's on sale right now. Great headphones, by the way. I have a pair of SR225s and I love them, although I bought an amp and speakers so they haven't been getting a ton of use lately.

Well, let's take this in another direction. I know that this setup:

Pro-Ject Debut III Turntable + Emotiva USP-1 Preamp + Grado SR80

...leaves me pretty high on the musical hog. It also leaves me $700 poorer and I already own the headphones. Can we do any better price wise? How much better will that setup sound vs:

Sony PSLX250H Turntable + Pocket Amp 2 + Grado SR80

I can get that setup for about $150. Is that enough to get in on the analog magical mystery club? Will my SR80s sound any different connected to that cheap setup vs. my Macbook and iTunes?

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
I would like to put a small vintage setup in my dining room, for putting on cheesy jazz records while my wife and I eat dinner and just for general listening. I don't need anything that is going to be terribly loud and I'm not going to be a huge stickler for audiophile quality since it is more of an auxiliary system.

I just picked up a pair of Polk Audio M10 bookshelf speakers from the Black Friday sale on Amazon for $140. Is that a good purchase? All of the vintage speakers that I see cropping up on eBay are HUGE (even when described as "bookshelf") and this set seems like it would fit a little better. Thoughts?

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I finally have a psuedo-trip report on the GEM record cleaner. I spent about 3 hours at my parents house - a hard requirement of using this thing is that you have a faucet with a garden hose threading on it. It comes with a converter for regular faucets, but it wouldn't fit anything at my house. Thankfully, my parents have a faucet like this in their garage.

I would certainly recommend not using it anywhere but a garage, because everything around you is going to get soaked. The pressure-washer has no trigger or valve so pressure is only controlled by turning the water higher or lower.

I started with some Nitty Gritty LAST cleaner, then ran it through the GEM system. I have a little dish rack that is wire with rubber coating that I let them air dry on, after giving them a brief towel dry with the included microfiber cloth. Unfortunately, the cloth gets completely soaked and unusable after drying 2 or 3 records. I put it in the dryer, but I guess this just covered it in lint because when I got home, the later records I cleaned were covered in dust.

It is extremely time consuming, but pretty painless. The only challenging part is not getting soaked when you turn on the water. The first couple records I cleaned look ridiculously good; the later ones are going to have to be re-cleaned. When I go back, I'll take my camera and document the process.

Here's a link to the product incase anyone else wants to try it : http://www.sleevetown.com/vinyl-cleaning.shtml

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
Anyone have any thoughts on this? http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/1485256682.html

For $100 seems like a decent deal and it looks like what I want, but I know nothing about turntables so...yeah.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

^$100 is a bit steep, but if it's in good condition it's a fine player.

Look what was on my doorstep when I got home from work.

Pro-Ject Debut III with Ortofon 2M Red. I am in love.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
About the GEM cleaner, what part of the PVC pipe + screws and wingnuts is worth the 150$+S&H?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Not an Anthem posted:

About the GEM cleaner, what part of the PVC pipe + screws and wingnuts is worth the 150$+S&H?

The craftsmanship

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
It actually comes with a sheet that breaks down the cost. Most of the things are juts a few bucks, except for the pressure-washer thing. Apparently that costs $80.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/fuo/1491831942.html Is this a good value? I'm tempted but I'm not all that knowledgeable on older items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Animale posted:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/fuo/1491831942.html Is this a good value? I'm tempted but I'm not all that knowledgeable on older items.

If you're not a collector this will be absolutely worthless.