Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
I used to be hugely into vinyl a few years ago and I kind of want to get back into it since it was so much fun. I have a relatively old record player and needle which I think is affecting the sound quality of my records because I have .mp3's of some of the same songs and they definitely sound better. I am looking at the Sony PSLX250H since it is affordable and regarded well. Am I correct in understanding that it doesn't need a preamp? I have a Parasound P/PH - 100 preamp right now which I've heard is pretty good (inherited from my dad).

For the needle, I am going with the Shure M97xE as that is highly recommended here. However, I have two questions after reading the OP and thread.

1) What is a good way to clean my records without building a vacuum? Is there a decent brush and fluid I can use? I don't really have a spot to place a vacuum or really want to build one...

2) Where is the best place to get record supplies? Examples being plastic outer sleeves for 45's and 33's and paper inner sleeves. Also 45 and 33 boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Owsla posted:

:words:

Thanks for the reply! Is the preamp I have not good enough? I really wasn't hoping to spend the money on a new preamp as I always thought mine was good?

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
So after your reply, I am looking at used SL-1300's. Is there anything to be worried about when buying a used turntable from the 70's? What if the motor breaks or something? How do I fix it?

Edit: Also, what do people think of the Song PS-FL7II? Does that support the Shure cartridge? It was my dad's old turntable.

Second Edit: It has an AT250 from Audio Technica needle or cartridge or whatever on it.

Phillyt fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 22, 2009

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
OK so I'll get the PS-FL7II since it's free and the Audio-Technica 92ECD cartridge/needle? Is there a way to make sure that the old turn table is working perfectly? Is it just satisfaction with the sound?

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
I have a Sony PS-FL7II. A lot of my records will always skip at least once when listening. Is this a symptom of my records or record player? I really have no idea of what to do for record player maintenance. I replaced the stylus a week ago and it still skips. Is my record player damaging my records (probably my biggest fear!) or do I just need to clean my records? I was planning on doing the record cleaning but I need to get a job to afford the brush and fluid and stuff, plus new sleeves.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Owsla posted:

It could be something on the surface, could be damaged spots on the record. In a pinch I would try this cheap record cleaning method I found in ebay guides.

Ah ok. I will try that. Thanks. Is there any way a record player itself could be damaging a record? I'm always paranoid about this but I highly doubt that is happening.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

metaxus posted:

Other than cleaning, make sure the stylus tracking weight is set correctly.

Too heavy, and records will wear quicker, too light, and they'll skip easily.

The "normal" tracking weight is about 1.5 to 1.8g, but your cartridge manufacturer should tell you exactly what yours should be set to.

Don't forget the anti-skate either, if your turntable has it... It's normally set to read the same as the tracking weight.

Oh. I'll look into this. Thanks for the advice. I probably did not set the tracking correctly and I have no idea if my turn table has anti-skate. I am pretty sure it was manufactured in the 1980's.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
If you want a simple solution, you can try Sleeve City Ultimate LP Storage Box. They look pretty cheap and effective.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

katzinator posted:

I dunno, but $9 + shipping for a cardboard box and $25 + shipping for a cheapass wood crate seems like a ripoff. The Expedit shelving from Ikea is nearly the gold standard for many record nerds, as it is rather inexpensive, very customizable (comes in a variety of sizes/colors), and doesn't make your record collection look like it belongs in a broke college-kid's house.

I would love the Expedit but I am a college kid and don't have the room :(. My solution is a bit creative and when I own a camera, I'll take a picture. I have a Jerker shelf thing that I stack my records on from Ikea that isn't in production anymore but I will definitely run out of space on it soon.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
I just realized Ikea sells a tiny 2x2 Expedit that might interest a lot of people here with smaller collections. They are pretty inexpensive, small, and present a great way of displaying your collection!

Here is the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

mcsuede posted:

Man, this thread is going to make me get my two sl-1200mk3ds with shure m44g carts and my stanton sk-2 out of the attic. It's about that time again.

Why are they in your attic in the first place..... Can I have one? :)