Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
Hmmm, posted this in the AV Setup thread, probably should have gone in here. Ah well, crosspost it is.

Finally got my Rega P3-24. Kicks all sorts of rear end, couldn't be happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Doc Spratley posted:

Swanky! :smugdog:

I notice an NAD phono amp in your rack, is that a Cambridge Audio phono pre sitting beside it and Cambridge Audio 640 below that?

Certainly is. Only the Cambridge gear is in use at the moment; I'll be putting together a seperate stereo system for a mate soonish with the NAD phono, Rotel amp and the old turntable that I had been using.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
The phono preamp amplifies the signal from the cartridge, which is much lower than line level. It's also got specific equalisation going on inside (RIAA, I believe) to get the record sounding as it should. Don't know if your old man is going to need a preamp, but chances are, a new receiver - won't be able to accomodate a turntable on its own.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
You can take off the dust cover while it's playing, for one. Another little 'trick' I've found to reduce surface noise a bit (and increase the bass quite a bit too!) is to put an empty jewel CD case under each foot of the turntable. Works a treat with my Rega P3-24.