Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

outofnowhere05 posted:

It came with a Shure R25XT cartridge. Should I replace it?

Don't know much about that cartridge, it could be fine, but always replace the stylus. You have no idea what it's been through, and what it will do to you records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

I switched it to the FM tuner, and both channels seemed to sound normal. My uncle also ran some kind of test to determine whether it was an issue with the tonearm or cartridge and said those were both normal and that the issue was most likely with the preamp in the receiver. I haven't tried to hook up an iPod or anything though.

This might be a stupid question, but did you (or your uncle) check the antiskate force? If it's set too high or low, I guess you could get some channel imbalance, which would only appear when playing records. It should usually be set about equal to the tracking force.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 3, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

BANME.sh posted:

To those out of the loop, there's a whole youtube channel dedicated to knob feel - http://www.youtube.com/knobfeel

Serioustalk: do you guys prefer smooth knobs or clicks? My favorite all time knob was on my Kenwood KA-3500. Super giant knob with the most satisfying click imaginable.

Wow, those are some of the most impressive knobs I've ever seen!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ron Burgundy posted:

I dropped some 3 in 1 oil in and popped the tonearm back down.

Nice to see, thanks for posting pics and all!

I'm not an expert in bearing grease, but isn't it common to use something a bit thicker than 3 in 1? I'd be worried about having to do the whole procedure over again in a year or so, if it dries out.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

eddiewalker posted:

What should I be doing to prevent pops and clicks when playing new vinyl? My dry anti-static brush isn't getting the job done, but I don't have any old and grimy records, so I don't think I need any of the expensive tools.

New vinyl shouldn't really have pops and clicks. Is there visible dust on it that the brush doesn't pick up? If there's no dust and you still hear pops, you might have gotten a dud record. It happens sometimes. A lot of vinyl press shops are very small these days, and might have quality control issues. Try a different (new) record and if that one is better, return the one with the pops. My brother's band got a whole bad pressing once, where all the copies sounded like crap and it had to be re-pressed.

Or, I guess you could have some problem with your stylus or cartridge...

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 17, 2013