Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Chaucer posted:

do the pro-jects always come with the dust lid top? i'm buying one after christmas.

Yes, but it's easily removable.

Here's my setup:

Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 3300
Scandyna "Drop" speakers
Debut III with acrylic platter
Rega P1
NAD PP3

I know I shouldn't have the speakers and turntables on the same stainless steel surface, but I'm waiting until I move again to get the ceiling mounts for my speakers. Right now my ceilings are cement and about 13' high, which would make it very costly and a pain in the rear end to mount them.

woot fatigue fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

andretti posted:

That's an impressive setup. How does the Rega P1 compare to the Debut III?

I can't compare the sound, as the Rega has an upgraded cartridge (10e) while the Debut has the stock one (5e). Once I upgrade the cart on the Debut I'll be able to do a better comparison. I also need to pick up another extremely overpriced RCA-Beo adapter from the B&O store ($75, looks like it came from Radio Shack) so I can hook both up at once.

What I can say:

- The NAD PP3 makes a huge difference compared to the Beomaster's built in pre-amp. The one I'm using is actually on loan from a friend who's from the same hometown as me. There's a guy who owns a small home theater shop that will give me a deal on one - $100 vs. $175, so I'm waiting until I have a chance to visit. The USB out is also a bonus.

- The tonearm on the Rega is much much nicer than that on the Debut. Well, I shouldn't say nicer, but it feels very well built. On the Debut I'm always worried I'm going to break it somehow.

- The stock platter on the Rega is made of MDF, which looks like it could've been made in high school woodshop. It also doesn't match the size of the record, leaving about .75" of overhang

- The spindle on the Rega is plastic, on the Debut it's chrome

- The plinth(?) on the Rega is much larger than the Debut. It is also thinner. To me it looks out of proportion, but that may be due to the difference in platter size, thickness, and that I got the Debut first.

- The Rega does not have a ground wire, the Debut does

- The Rega has three feet, the Debut has four

- The dust cover for the Rega has squared edges, the Debut is rounded and cheaper looking

- The hinges for the Debut's dust cover are much nicer, while the Rega's are just flexible plastic tabs

All in all, once I upgrade the cartridge on the Debut I think I'll enjoy it much more than the Rega. They're both "lower end" tables, so they're both going to have their faults, but in the end I find the Debut to be a be a more enjoyable turntable, if only for the aesthetics alone. Then again, seeing my setup, you can see that design is just as important to me as sound.