Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuel
Aug 6, 2007
I'm in the process of putting together my first real music system. I'll mostly be using it for playing music off my laptop/ipod/turntable and mostly listen to indie rock and hip hop. I'd spend upwards of $1500, but I'm just really looking to get the best value. I've never been a fan of big ugly hi-fi equipment, so design is also important to me. When it comes to power and technical aspects, I'm just learning as I go along. So far I've found some things I like and some deals in my area, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've kind of fallen in love with the all around package of the Peachtree Nova, but the little brother the Decco is cheaper if it could accomplish what I need. The simplicity and design are really what I like most. As far as I know, I'll just need a phono stage to integrate my turntable. My worry is that it isn't designed with the turntable in mind and might not have enough power for decent speakers. I'm not against a vintage tube amp, but they just seem bulkier and require more care.

http://signalpathint.com/index.php/decco/the-decco.html

As far as speakers go, I'm looking at a used pair of B&W DM601 S3 which seem to be a good deal at $300. Would that amp be able to power that?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuel
Aug 6, 2007

ddogflex posted:

I have the Decco and like it a lot. The power is plenty, 50W is nothing to sneeze at, they aren't bullshit watts. I never turn the thing up past like 1/3 of the way. I even used it with rather low efficiency (like 83dB) speakers for a while and it was perfectly adequate. The DAC in it is just awesome. I love it.

Currently I'm using it for my main system in the living room, but it really shines as a computer amp. Gotta love the USB DAC. I'm getting a 5.1 receiver for the living room soon and it will go back to my computer.

Also, holy poo poo, Signal Path has the Decco for $500 right now! http://signalpathint.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=170

Yeah, it seems like that's going to be the way to go at that price. REALLY hard to justify the jump to the Nova if I'm just running a pair of bookshelf speakers at moderate volume. The DAC really just pushes the package over the edge.

Now I'm just trying to decide to go with the used B&W 601s or try and track down a set of Era speakers to match.

Thuel
Aug 6, 2007

Thuel posted:

Yeah, it seems like that's going to be the way to go at that price. REALLY hard to justify the jump to the Nova if I'm just running a pair of bookshelf speakers at moderate volume. The DAC really just pushes the package over the edge.

Now I'm just trying to decide to go with the used B&W 601s or try and track down a set of Era speakers to match.

Ok, so I've bought the Decco and have it paired with the B&W 601 S2 speakers. Everything has been great and I couldn't be happier. I'm finally adding a turntable, a Technics 1210 mk2, I bought from a friend. Now I'm in need of a decent phono stage and looking for some recommendations. Ideally something under $100, small, and fitting in style wise. Basically just something in line with the quality of my system.

Thuel
Aug 6, 2007

Owsla posted:

This is my favorite Phono Pre - http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-FJB200X-Phono-Preamp?sku=801600

The specs can't be beat and BBE is famous for top notch pro-audio gear. I'm using it with my 1210 and it's been flawless for years.

Would it be worth the jump to this or is the BBE a better value?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ProJect-Phono-Box-Turntable-Preamplifier?sku=807601&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26050359