Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Opioid posted:

Is it a bad idea to put your turntable on top of your receiver? I'm planning on stacking them (on the top of a thigh high bookcase) but wasn't sure if the heat generated by the receiver would be bad news for the turntable/records.

Also, when buying a 2 speaker system, is the low range of the audio covered well? I'm worried about buying a decent set of bookshelf speakers then finding out that my lovely logitech 5.1 system with a real sub sounds better than a legit audio system.

I was looking at these infinity primus p152 speakers but am open to suggestions for a pair in the $200 range.
I try to avoid having my turntable ontop of the receiver just because it heats up quite a lot and you really want a stable platform that will not react to the sound being played back. If you had your turntable on a piece of sheet metal for example it would vibrate with the music and then induce that vibration on the needle. This creates a loop and can cause howling noises.

Your Logitech is not a real sub and proper bookshelf speakers can match it fine, I can make my windows rattle with speakers which have a a less than 10cm element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Wobbly Mike posted:

I had a few questions, I currently have a Sony turn table hooked up to a pioneer home theater receiver. I want to start a vintage setup in my room, i'm not fully sure what i want to do in the way of speakers and a receiver, i was thinking of the Marantz 2245 and then just finding some newer speakers (polk monitor 40's or the higher series bookshelf speakers) unless you guys have any other suggestions. Also, aside from EBAY and craigslist i am not sure where to look for vintage receivers. Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

Local secondhand stores, salvation army, during the 70s and early 80s people didn't have these cheap multifunction systems, usually you'd only find the receiver and amp in the same box. Due to this theres tons of pretty decent quality systems from that era floating around since people got rid of them when CD began dominating.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

OhhCrap posted:

The OP mentions this about looking for new turntables:

What about a USB output makes a turntable not a good choice? I was looking at this Sony table to serve as a little entry into the Vinyl world, so I do not need a very expensive, top quality machine. However, if the fact that it has a USB output is going to hinder the performance, I'll look for something else in the price range.

Also, I feel like the USB would be useful because my dad has dozens upon dozens of old records but his turntable no longer functions, and he mentioned making digital copies as a backup, and I figured this would be a nice surprise.

I'd appreciate any insight! :)

USB is a purely digital medium so you need a ACD in the turntable, they're usually crap. Its possible that a Sony one would have a slightly better one.
You need to consider that each component is going to affect the end quality and with combined systems you usually don't get the best parts. So even if you were using the analog outputs you'd still have the motor, needle, tonearm and RIAA pre-amp from the combo turntable.

The customer reviews seem pretty good with informed comments so people who'd know how to compare it to previous systems.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Just the fact that a label would mention specs that specific means they're probably pretty decent.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Its just a piece of wire, as long as you have contact its fine. Nothing fancy like audio cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
My Beocenter 1800 seems to have given up for now, its almost 40 years old so going for that long without any maintenance is pretty good. The right channel starts howling after a couple of seconds of being on. I'm guessing there's a short, but due to it not being immediate it seems like its caused by heat expansion. Its hard to search for any similar cases since everyone just assumes it to be feedback, which it is in most cases.