Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So, I finally got a Technics 1200 for home listening, and I plug it into my (previously unused) phono input on my Yamaha CA-410, but turns out that while all the other inputs are just dandy, my phono seems to be iffy. I have to jiggle the cords to make it come through both channels, and even then it doesn't stay all that well.

So, I was wondering what the most common culprit is? I plugged the turntable into the tuner input and both channels came through fine that time, but the phono seems to just not want to cooperate.

Here's an album of some pictures of the inside. Thanks for taking a look.

http://imgur.com/a/LzUYE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

There was really no crud on them, but I cleaned them again anyway. Unfortunately, no improvement.

Could the cable really be the problem though if I can plug it into, say, "Tuner" or "Tape 1 & 2" just fine and still get strong signal in each channel?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So, my technics 1200 needs its audio cables replaced, and my soldering iron/skills are poo poo so I don't trust myself to fix the problem.

Problem is, the only audio repair shop in my area (Ann Arbor, MI) that I know of has a two month waiting list and less than desirable reviews.

Any ideas?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wow, that was a whole lotta advice you all gave me, thanks!

What I actually ended up doing was getting a couple of RCA jack-ends from Home Depot, cutting the old ones off of my TT. That worked great for my "sweet spot" problem. Then I noticed that I was still having some trouble with my left channel sounding like poo poo. This happened on both of my amps, so I'm glad to say they don't need fixing.

So anyway, this was after I had just installed my new cartridge, and while I thought I had gotten everything peachy-keen on balancing the tonearm and whatnot, I guess I hadn't. I took it in to Overture Audio in Ann Arbor, MI and they fixed it up really well. Got the balancing and Anti-Skating juuust right. Sounds amazing now.

Anyway, as far as soldering goes, I know I have all the basics down, but the problem is my Dad has only ever bought Radioshack Soldering irons. He keeps getting upset that they lose heat and gunk up at the end, and I always thought that the reason was "if you don't spend $100 on a soldering iron you're gonna get poo poo upon" so it's nice to know there are some good cheap alternatives. I'll be sure to look into them.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Would there be any problems with plugging my turntable into something like this so it stops spinning if I fall asleep while listening to a record?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P2UMS0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Well, after buying new speakers, I think I've finally completed my TT system.

http://imgur.com/a/XrHXq (Ignore the dirty sock in the last pic)

Technics 1200mk2 with a Denon DL-110
Yamaha CA-410 and CT-410
Yamaha NS-A960YS

Sounds great, but I need to rearrange my furniture so as to accommodate the new speakers...

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Sorry if this isn't an appropriate place to post this, since this is the Vintage thread, I figured I'd like to get your guys' opinion as well as the Home Audio thread.

Scholtz posted:

I just bought my first TV (Samsung UN40EH5300) but previous to this, I had my turntable setup (Technics SL-1200mk2, Yamaha CA410, and some Yamaha NS speakers)

Now, being a more vintage amp, it only has the two speakers. Is this still a better setup than just using my TV's default speakers if I can't get 2.1? Or is there some workaround for me to achieve 2.1?

As much as I'd like to use another amp, I'd like the same speakers to be used for both the TT and my TV, as they're probably the best pair I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

BANME.sh posted:

I use vintage speakers for my TV as a 2.0 setup, but my receiver is modern. No subwoofer because I live in a condo and the speakers output plenty bass themselves. I see no problem with using a vintage receiver, but integrating a sub might be hard unless your receiver has a pre-out.

In my opinion any kind of external speakers + amp will be miles better than your TV's integrated speakers

Ah, yeah. I didn't even think about it but my apartment is on the second floor, so 2.0 is probably a little more considerate than 2.1 anyways.

Okay, so new question. One that will make me look like an idiot.

I got my 1200 for a steal because the sound was only outputting through one channel. All it needed was a new line out, so it was an easy fix. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to do this again, so instead of just putting a straight up line out, I put two female ports leading out, like so:

But, uh, unfortunately I forgot to label which one was which, and I guess I didn't think about it until now. Is there an easy way to identify which cable is which channel without having to open it all back up again?