Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Turntable/Vinyl/2-channel Stereo/Vintage Thread: How does your knob feel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Seemingly out of nowhere, I've been getting a really bad (what I assume is) resonance/rumble problem out of my main setup. At moderate-to-high volumes, the woofer on the left channel (and sometimes, but much less often, the right channel) will start to vibrate pretty violently. This problem doesn't show up when I play from anything but my turntable, so I'm fairly certain that it's related to that. I've tried accounting for ground loops and whatnot and nothing seems to be helping.

The problem first showed up about a month and a half ago, when I raised my speakers (yes I know, probably bringing them closer to the turntable), but turning on my receiver's low-pass filter took care of it for a while. This past week, it's just started happening all the time (edit: at moderate-to-high volumes, that is) independent of whether the low-pass filter is on or not. Also, moving my speakers (within an admittedly limited range) and lowering them again hasn't solved the problem. I've also messed with the anti-skate in like 50 different ways and still no improvement.

I recorded a quick iPhone video of it happening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_-Uxluw_o

The problem starts about 12 seconds in. And yeah, I was listening to the Waterboys at the time, what of it (though it's happened with pretty much every record I've tried)?

The setup:
Cartridge: Audio-Technica CN5625AL
TT: Vector Research VT-250
Receiver: Yamaha Cr-2040
Speakers: Pioneer HPM-900

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 27, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TooLShack posted:

Had a good weekend at yard sales, snagged a Technics SL-DL1, Sansui 9900Z, and 2 Sansui G-8000s. All work fine just need a good clean and servicing.

I'm sure you've gotten this before but gently caress YOU, man!

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 10, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I would just buy mine on Amazon and stop thinking about it so much. The "survival kits" Deoxit makes are a nice starter but you'll easily run out of cleaner if you've got a big/particularly grungy piece of equipment, and all you really need is the red label stuff anyway. I would just buy two decent-sized cans of it and some applicators.

Just make sure that whatever wipes/applicators/pipe cleaners you use aren't gonna leave residue or lint or pieces of themselves all up in your jacks and connectors and stuff (that means no q-tips).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So you guys remember that horrible left channel resonance issue I've been having? The one where playing a record at moderate volume results in the left channel woofer losing its poo poo like so?

At this point I'm certain that the problem's not anywhere in the speaker or receiver. I've swapped the channel inputs and switched the turntable with the one from my bedroom and when I do, everything performs like it's supposed to at any volume. I only get resonance with this specific table. Swapping the table also resulted in significantly better sound, particularly in the lower register and in channel separation- though I'm also willing to bet that this has to do with my bedroom table simply having a superior cartridge.

So at this point, the question became- well, what exactly is the problem? Information about the VT-250 is hard to find, but it's supposed to be a very good table- and this particular one has been in use for a long time without any issues.

Today, I happened to pull the headshell off and I noticed that the stylus arm is notably slanted to the right. It's as if the tonearm's been putting a ton of leftward (inward) force on the cartridge- enough to bend the stylus assembly out of alignment. That definitely seems concerning, and I imagine that it could possibly explain the problems I've been having.

Now my question becomes- is this an anti-skate issue or an alignment issue?

I had this cart (Audio Technica CN5625AL) installed by a dude at my local record store a few months ago. I had tried to do it myself and snapped one of the ancient wire leads, so I brought the headshell in and he did it for me in like 10 minutes as a favor.

To be honest, the alignment never looked right to me. The relative positions of the screws in the mounting slots were way different from the ones on the old cartridge, which my dad tells me was professionally set up. This cartridge is roughly parallel with the two mounting slots, whereas the old one was on an angle (kind of the same angle that the stylus arm is bent in this one, tbh). The connection between the VT-250 headshell and tonearm is the reverse of the "standard," so you can't just pop it on another turntable in order to use a protractor. I suppose this makes aligning the cartridge beyond eyeballing pretty much impossible without having the whole turntable, which this guy didn't.

So now I've got a new AT95e (I was planning to do this anyway) and alignment protractor being shipped to my place. However, I don't wanna risk ruining a new stylus in case it turns out to be the anti-skate. Any way for me to figure this out without spending a significant amount or does misalignment sound like a more likely culprit?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 22, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So replacing the cart and aligning it seemed to fix the resonance issue.

However, when I was mounting the new cart I snapped one of the ancient ground lead wires (the green one) at the point where it meets the headshell terminal (it wasn't even in the plugging/unplugging stage, just by moving the cart around on the headshell- I guess that's how brittle those wires are).

I shoved the bare broken end into the "clamp" connector piece it had originally been soldered to so that it would make contact and it seems to be holding well. I've played through a few albums and not noticed any weird noise or static or stuff like that.

Am I risking anything major by doing this?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

If the wire is making contact, there's no harm done. You can buy new wires for $5 though - http://www.lpgear.com/product/HIQHDSHWIRES.html

I know, I've ordered a new set. I just wanted to use the table before they arrived.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Can anyone who's used both the CN5625AL and AT95E comment on their relative volume differences?

The output from my turntable is noticeably lower with the new cart (95E). I haven't lost any detail or anything like that- the volume is simply lower. It's not significant or anything that I'd consider a big "problem," but I just wanna know if it's normal.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TooLShack posted:

Does your preamp/receiver have any cartridge load settings?

Yep, and the settings are identical for both carts as per Audio Technica's specs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

By cartridge load, he means a specific setting on your receiver that controls the gain boost in the phono stage.

If you're referring to a knob that you set based on the cart impedance, my receiver's got one. At least that's what I was referring to when I meant "same settings".

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Dude, unless it's got serious sentimental value, trying to mod/set that thing up for regular use is just a tremendous waste of time. Like it's been said above me, it's a low-end unit in the vein of those crappy built-in consoles.

There are a ton of vintage receivers worth spending time and money on but that isn't one of them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

Picked up a set of these yesterday for a grand total of free dollars. They sound pretty ok to my untrained ears, are they anything special?

Probably not. Vintage Technics gear is generally respectable-to-renowned but their speakers are kind of considered to be the exception to that rule. Have you tried googling that model and seeing if there are any AudioKarma threads about it? That's usually a pretty decent way of gauging relative value without expending much effort.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Oh hey, are you here because of my suggestion? :smugdog:

It's a great unit that seems to have a lot of fans- and if it's been professionally looked at and is truly as pristine as the seller says then it'd probably make a wonderful system centerpiece.

That said, $150 seems overpriced to me- particularly for a 60 WPC Kenwood. The pricing isn't out of line compared to eBay, but my rule of thumb for Craigslist is that unless it's some holy grail equipment (high power Marantz/etc. or TOTL Sansui or whatever), then the high end of the "fair price" range peaks at roughly 60% of whatever it's going for on eBay. This particular specimen doesn't even have the optional wood case, which may or may not be a big deal to you.

Also, if you've got headphones on your mind, then it's worth noting that I have no idea how the headphone out is set up in this particular model- so it may be underpowered if you want to run power hungry cans off of it.

I would definitely wait for more peoples' input on this tho. I know gently caress-all about Kenwoods. At the very least wait a bit to see if the price drops or try seeing how low the seller will go.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
In my experience, Craigslist is probably gonna be a better bet as far as what's available and relative price. I'm not saying that you won't ever get really lucky with a thrift store find but everything I've ever seen has been common-rear end low-end stuff at stupid markup.

You just need a little bit of patience and a little bit of luck.

As far as speakers go, the basic design hasn't really ever changed so good contemporary stuff isn't a bad option at all. I feel like using a powered sub kind of defeats the purpose of a vintage receiver so you'll want something that can handle bass competently (with adequate respect paid to your living/space situation, of course). Some Andrew Jones floorstanders or decently-sized bookshelf dealies will probably be fine.

That said, since speakers haven't really evolved much, Craigslist often has a lot of fantastic vintage options available for relatively little money. The internet is definitely your friend here so just google any interesting stuff and see what any pre-existing AudioKarma threads have to say about it. Definitely keep an eye out for anything Pioneer HPM, assuming the woofer cones are original.

As for a cabinet/table- it really depends entirely on your other decor.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Not to mention that I've heard that the capacitance on "standard" RCA cables is high enough that it can noticeably degrade a naked phono signal (although that's probably the least of your concerns here).

*No idea if that's actually a legitimate claim or audiophool idiocy, since I've never had to plug an extra RCA cable into one of my tables or replace one of the originals yet, but apparently the common suggestion is to use component video cables instead, as the capacitance is supposedly much lower.*

Seriously though, for all of the online research you supposedly did, how the hell did you miss Basic Turntable Operation 101? In more than 2 years of posting in the vinyl threads on SA and countless rookie mistakes, I've never seen somebody completely neglect to use a pre-amp or phono stage of some kind.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 7, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kizudarake posted:

My research showed that it had a preamp built in, and didn't require an external one. It sounds pretty good, not quiet at all, as, when I put a record on, it's actually louder than the audio output of the TV through the system. While my hearing isn't highly trained, the records I've played through my system definitely sound better than my digital copies played through my iPod connected via line-in. I have component cables I can connect in place of one set of rca cables, although it won't be definitive, as the component cables are 6 feet, and the rca cables are 1.5'

Duly noted and I stand corrected. In that case, you don't need to worry about cable capacitance or using component cables or whatever. If it's coming out of a preamp then the signal is gonna be line-level and waaay stronger than a naked phono signal. In any case, the quality difference between 1 foot and 6 feet is gonna be nil.

That said, if you stick with the hobby then you can bank on replacing that table in the (relatively) near future. For one thing- the cartridge isn't replaceable, though the needle is, so there's no possibility of upgrading what is undoubtedly a "meh" cartridge at best. More important is that the tonearm doesn't have a counterweight. Its tracking force is spring-loaded and probably set (makes sense, since it'll only be able to work with one cartridge). Such setups are pretty common in cheap turntables but they can wear your records out faster over time. The ones in the Crosleys you find at Target/Urban Outfitters can legit ruin your LPs in a short while.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Hey dudes- if y'all had to choose between a Pioneer SX-780 or SX-690 receiver what would you go with? For reference, the 780's 45 WPC and has some minor surface dings while the 690 is 30 WPC but is basically pristine looking and has been supposedly professionally looked at in its recent history.

I'm basically looking for something that'll make a nice small room/office system.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The most annoying thing is dealing with those tiny wires. If they've been on your table for a long time then they're probably quite brittle and it's likely that you'll snap one of the ends by just looking at it funny. It's worth having a set of spares on hand (or just replacing the old ones outright, frankly).

Also- make sure you use an alignment protractor to get the cartridge centered and aligned properly. Your records are gonna sound like rear end and the cantilever that connects the needle to the cartridge is gonna fail much much sooner if it isn't positioned properly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

All this has got me thinking about buying a test album. Would it be overkill to use something like the "Hi-Fi News Test Record" with a modest Pro-Ject Debut III? The tinkerer in me is all over the idea.

Remember that all a turntable has to do is keep a record spinning at a proper and consistent speed and minimize the interference of vibrations from both the environment and its own mechanisms. That's it.

Barring variations in its ability to perform those tasks (cost of drive motor and component materials/build quality) the bulk of a table's "sound quality" comes from the cartridge. Insofar as you'll be able to notice, your "modest" ProJect can be as fancy as you want it to be.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Despite being in this hobby for two years, I figure it's time to get some "stupid newbie" questions out of the way:

So I've got 3.5mm (headphone) to RCA cables connected to the Aux inputs on both of my old receivers for connecting iPhones and laptops and whatnot.

First, I'm wondering if the double amping that results from this sort of setup can damage the receivers or speakers at all. It doesn't sound "bad" or anything but I can't imagine that driving the gain up like that can be beneficial.

Second- my roommate has the habit of unplugging/plugging stuff in while the receiver is turned on and current is running through the line. Usually the speakers will crackle and pop a bit as he does this- sometimes loudly if the volume is turned up. Is this at all dangerous? Can something blow out or short? What about leaving the naked connector (sometimes he forgets to turn poo poo off when he's done using it) exposed?

I'm in the process of getting some DACs and Airport Expresses so it probably won't be an issue in a few weeks, but I'm really curious.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Basically. She must be a really good friend tho, because that's still hundreds of dollars.

What Pioneer SX is it, by any chance?

Edit: also that OP is loving ancient. At least 60% of the "new" stuff is either no longer on the market or has way more interesting competition at this point. In any case, I wouldn't get a new turntable for anybody that wasn't at least at the AT-LP120 level ($200-$250). Anything cheaper and you're basically looking at stuff that isn't for the "long term" user and comes with poo poo like proprietary cartridges and/or fixed tonearms. It'd basically be like buying your friend another POS Crosley. Fortunately, a good vintage table in solid shape shouldn't run more than $100 (and I'd look more for $40-$60) if you aren't looking for some holy grail model. Honestly, I'd just go full vintage- but that can be a bit daunting for speakers if you're not versed. But then that's what God made the internet for...

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 20, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SteveMcQueen posted:

Thanks! It's this listing: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/4290851319.html . Does that look OK?

I figured it wouldn't be cheap.

That's overpriced. I picked up a 30 Watt SX-690 in 9/10 shape for less than that last week.

Edit: Pioneers are kind of the go-to "gold standard" for reasonably attainable gear, so you're probably not gonna find a decent price on one, like, ever. If I were you, I'd keep an eye out for any of the other major brands. The price/performance ratio will be much more in your favor.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 20, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

slothzilla posted:

If you were going to spend a few hundred on a receiver, would you buy something vintage or used modern? I'm looking at a Marantz 22xx at the moment, but I'm conflicted.

I was originally looking at exclusively modern receivers, but I also want an FM tuner, which sent me down the vintage road (again).

I personally would keep my 2.0 and surround sound setups separate. (IMO) movies don't usually need a ton of WPC or dynamic fidelity or whatever to sound good, and a lot of what makes some modern AV receivers more expensive than others is stuff that benefits music way more than it does movies/TV/games. Likewise, music tends to get the short end of the stick when it comes to multichannel AV setups in general and you're always going to put it at a disadvantage of you're designing your space around a 5.1/7.1 model.

With that in mind, I'd get a good vintage receiver and build a 2.0 setup around it with some proper full-range speakers for music only and a decent, inexpensive ($250 or less- $150 or less if you go refurb/open-box or used) 5.1 HDMI receiver for the TV with a set of inexpensive bookshelf/surround speakers and a <$150 subwoofer. That will give you way more bang-for-the buck than putting together a purely "modern" system to handle both (granted, I collect vinyl so having an entirely separate stereo for music isn't as weird or superfluous for me as it might for most people).

Also- Marantz are awesome and in the top tier of the vintage audio world, but I'm not sure that they really deserve the ridiculous price premium they get (this is assuming you're buying one for the sound and not so much for the collecting aspect). If I were you, and I had several hundred to spend, I'd be looking at high-end late-70s Pioneers, Sansuis, and Yamahas too. Those brands will all see price inflation- particularly for well maintained "monster" models- but not nearly to the extent that Marantz or McIntosh get.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

...Lastly, you save up again and buy a good surround receiver with the same power rating for the two front speakers as the old stereo amp. Then sell the stereo amp and buy surround speakers...

Yeah, but half the fun of having a vintage stereo piece is that it's not a modern surround receiver.

I mean just on looks alone, compare something like this:

to any AV receiver from the last 20 years.

As for speakers, I have a pair of boxy-as-hell HPM-900s that sound glorious with music and I got for cheap. I would hate to have to figure out a way to make them look good on either side of a modern TV and I'm not about to try to integrate them into a 5.1 setup when a dirt-cheap set of Newegg special Polks will do more than adequately for movies and nothing more. Alternatively, you could focus on HT aesthetics and look for tiny minimalist satellite speakers without having to worry about whether they'll sound good playing music.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Haggins posted:

As far as turntables go I'm assuming this Audio Technica AT-LP60 should be fine? Does having a USB port matter? I really don't care about ripping vinyl. As for speakers, I was planning on getting Audioengine A2 Powered Desktop Speakers.

I've heard good things about pairing a set of A2/A5+ with a turntable that has a built-in preamp for a compact setup. I personally love Audioengine's stuff and have nothing but praise for their speakers.

As for the turntable, I'd bump it one tier up to the AT-LP120 if you can afford it. The LP-60 has a lot of cost-cutting features that make it kind of terrible if you plan to listen to LPs with any amount of regularity (chiefly an irreplaceable proprietary- and pretty lovely sounding- cartridge permanently attached to the tonearm). The LP-120 is pretty much the gold standard entry-level turntable in current production (if you really wanted bang for the buck, I'd go vintage and stick a ~$40 compact preamp on it).

If you end up sticking with vinyl, you can keep an LP-120 indefinitely and maybe upgrade the cartridge in the future (or not, I think the AT95e is pretty great myself) or sell it easily and get something snazzier. If you decide that vinyl isn't your deal, you'll have a much easier time offloading an LP-120 for a fair price than an LP-60.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

The album 'Live Alive' by Stevie Ray Vaughn especially got me with the 'loudness' setting on :D

I'm not 100% sure about Marantz, but the way the 'loudness' setting works in every vintage amp I've seen is to just cut the midrange volume and/or boost the high and low register. 'Loudness' is generally for nighttime listening when you want to play music without bothering others. I really wouldn't recommend it for general use as it sounds pretty "off" at anything but low volume. If you want loudness, just turn the volume up.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Just looked it up and you're right - welp :/ it still sounds good to me. Thanks for linking the guide, I'll definitely get at this asap.

Don't feel bad about it being solid state. Vintage solid state gear has character and a sound signature that's usually totally different from modern stuff. Tube heads sometimes rag on SS as being "clinical" or "cheap" sounding but that's stupid and pretty wrong. Plus, a major component of tube sound's "uniqueness" is run of the mill distortion.

I'm not saying that tubes are worse or anything, and I like them quite a lot, but being solid state doesn't make your Marantz any "worse" of a receiver. Both have their strengths and faults and it's better to think of them as alternative options worth trying than as one over the other.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
They're pretty boss looking. I'd do it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I personally love the Minimus 7s (white metal body or nothing) and think that they can sound fantastic for the money when set up the right way. They're pretty great on their own for desktop/near-field listening, but they do their best with a subwoofer to take the low end if you're planning to fill a moderately sized bedroom or office. They're admittedly pretty anemic without one and you need to set the crossover between 85-100 for best results. They handle mids and highs beautifully though.

The bedroom setup I had in my old apartment was made up of entirely thrifted/gifted parts, including a pair of Minimus 7s, and sounded great in that space- though I'll be the first to admit that I might be biased by my weird love for their looks.

Just make sure to pull the grille off with a bent paperclip and get a look at the condition of the cones and surrounds before buying any. The grille's attached with some pieces of tacky putty so it just pops right back on without hassle. And the generations that were manufactured in Japan are said to be of higher quality than the ones made in Korea or Malaysia, but I haven't heard any real take on why aside from "higher production cost must equal higher quality components and manufacture."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Could be. It's a lovely (I assume) Stanton cartridge that came with the TT. Couldn't find an exact match with anything online so I just set it at 1.5g and it always worked fine. Setting it to 1.75 fixed all the problems, so I probably did have it set too low.

Any idea on what the cart is (or at least which Stanton it came with)? It might be a DJ cart, in which case the required tracking weight range is gonna be higher than it would be for a hi-fi one.

DJ cartridges are designed for the sort of abuse that you'd expect scratching and back-cueing to inflict, as well as for staying in-groove through lots of manipulation. All of this means that they differ from standard carts in a lot of ways, like needle shape (conical vs elliptical) and tracking weight (often between 2.5 and 5 grams). It also means that they're really not recommendable for non-DJ setups since the stylus shape isn't going to be particularly high-fidelity and the high tracking weight will actually wear down your records faster over time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
There should be a switch on the turntable to select the built-in preamp. It might have just arrived switched to "bypass."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
FWIW, I've heard that the built-in preamp that comes with the LP-120 requires higher volume but then it also gets noisy. Also, there's a lot of internet chatter about the sound from the table being "veiled," even when the preamp is bypassed, and a lot of people apparently mod theirs by ripping the preamp out. Like with anything of this nature, I'm sure that a fair amount of it is audiophile black magic so YMMV.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
All of this recent LP-120 chat has gotten me reading up on it again.

And thanks to the winding turns that the Internet takes, I've learned that the SL-1200 has dropped substantially in price on the used market since Panasonic stopped making it and prices went all to hell.

At least in my area they seem to be selling for $350-$450, which is a far cry from the $700+ they were going for 3 years ago. Guess I need to reconsider my Debut Carbon plans.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
No it's true. There's a degree of sonic coloration and light distortion that tubes provide that lends a pretty unique and pleasant sound to music. It's not everyone's bag, and I wouldn't have a tube setup as my only stereo or headphone setup, but it's a fun thing to get into if you're willing to shell out for it.

If you're game, I would HIGHLY recommend that you do a LOT of research on tube amps in general, on the industry, and on what's out there on the market. There's a ton of variability in price, power, and relative "tubiness" of sound- as well as gradations between pure tube amps and hybrids. Headphone amps are a less expensive, more accessible way to get into tubes and I would start there if I were you. Of course, if you go that route then you should also spend some money on some legitimately nice headphones that will actually benefit from that amplification.

Also if you're planning to get a tube amp that can run speakers, prepare to spend anywhere from $500+ to several grand.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I'm assuming you tried replacing the tubes before selling it...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

For hifi usage, it's completely pointless.

Not necessarily. If you're running high-current speakers like magneplanars or electrostatics- or even a lot of 4ohm cone speakers- then separates are historically a more economical option to get good performance out of them. The alternative is paying for a receiver that's burly enough, which is usually at the high end of the price scale.

Hell, even some 120+ WPC "monster" receivers from the classic era will shut down if you try to run Maggies with them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The D3 was gonna be my suggestion too. Just make sure it's the D03K Taishan (3rd generation D3), as the previous ones had issues that were fixed in this model.

If you look for it on Amazon by the "FiiO D03K Taishan" moniker it should be quite easy to find.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 23, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I've seen black SL1210's (basically the same turntable as a 1200 with a switch to accommodate American and European power) in the low to mid-hundreds. Hardly a mortgage payment.

In fact, I think I saw some black Mk 3 1200s on Craigslist for about $400 a pop some weeks ago so they're definitely out there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Those tables still have slightly inflated prices because they are iconic among DJs.

It's more than the iconic status among DJs- although that's probably most of it. HiFi enthusiasts have been in love with the 1200 for decades.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 25, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is there any technical reason why one shouldn't put two pairs of speakers next to each other for the sake of having an A/B setup?

I've currently got my CR-2040 running through a pair of Pioneer HPM-900. They're great fun, pretty unique, but not exactly balanced "audiophile" speakers. At some undisclosed time in the future, I'd like to get a pair of more laid-back "East Coast" style speakers and I'd like to run them from the CR-2040 as well. I'm envisioning a scenario where this is in a dedicated study/listening room and I can choose which pair of speakers I'm outputting through.

Aside from it obviously looking a little pants, is there any mechanical issue that I should be wary of (maybe like a resonance or interference effect)? I just can't bear to actually replace the HPMs with anything, and I don't forsee myself ever having the room to set up multiple "listening areas" around giant speakers all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

There's probably a dozen vintage cabinets up for sale on craigslist/kijiji at any given time, usually for cheap. I bought a vintage cabinet for $20 and resurfaced it.

Not in the American Northeast (unless, maybe, you live north of Vermont or something). Almost everything that's worth buying and could be sold under the "vintage/midcentury/vinyl" monikers gets a healthy markup.

If you're willing to spend in the hundreds on used finds then it's also worth looking at the credenza options from CB2 and other similar companies, IMO.