Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I''ve been collecting HiFi stuff from garage sales and off the curb for years. Most of it is still at my parents and I'll have to get some pics next time I'm over there.

All I have at my house is setup in my garage.

I got the bose 301 series IIIs and the technics amp under the TV at a church rummage sale. They were marked $20 each but there was a funeral the next day so they were ending the sale early and the lady said I could have the amp and speakers for $10 total.

The TV is a Visio that I found on the curb with the remote. I figured it would need new caps. Took it home and plugged it in and it works perfect. It's even got WIFI but I never use it because I've got a WDTV box hooked up that streams my media from in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

evobatman posted:

Report from another weekend in stereo hell

I cleaned up my Beovox CX100s with lots and lots of magic erasers, and cleaned the grilles with laundry soap. So many of the clips are broken! Thankfully it seems like the previous owner did a good job refoaming them, so they sound better than they look!

Also in the picture, my $60 perfectly mint Beosound Ouverture (yes I know the doors aren't going to open like that), and a Beomaster 3000-2 I picked up today for $15. I can't get sound from any of the speaker plugs, but the headphone contact sounds good. It also has transformer hum that rivals my wifes magic wand, so I'll sell it or donate it on, since whatever is wrong with it goes above my head.

This is my life

One time I picked up whatever that B&O beosys component setup you have is at a garage sale for $5. It needed some work on the amp so I traded it to the local Hi-Fi guy for a few hundred worth of other stuff.

I slacked off and never got pics of my random HiFi poo poo but I did find something neat at the thrift shop today.

It's a vintage Huntron Tracker 1005 B1-S component tester that allows you to check components based on their response to generated signals. Not sure 100% how it works yet but for $6 I figured I'd take it.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

So I said I would try to take some pictures of poo poo I have stored at my parents house....

You have to promise not to call hoarders, before they moved I had all the stuff arranged and hooked up in a custom oak cabinet the size of an upright piano that was plumbed with power and lighting. When they moved it was too big to get in their new house so it got donated and my stuff got stacked haphazardly. I wasn't living with them anymore and never really got the time to sell it off so it's quite a mess. I took pictures of what I could see there is probably twice as much that I couldn't see because it has more components stacked on it.

I bought quite a bit of it off a guy who was a Marantz tech in the 1970s and collected/fixed HiFi gear. Some of it came from a friend who ran a massive Chicago furniture company from the 1960s-1990s and had very nice taste.

Welp, here goes.

Some neat solid aluminum speakers the furniture guy gave me new in the box.

I have the missing one somewhere around here

And a third pair still sealed in the box.

Luxman turntable, I have the cassette deck, receiver and the remotes that run the whole system somewhere

Marantz 1180DC, Hitachi HMA7500, Marantz 2440 quad adapter because if you already owned a 2 channel amp why buy a new 4 channel quad amp when you could just add 2 more channels.

Hitachi HMA7500 power amp

Marantz 2440 quad adapter

2440 face plate

2440 box and packing sealed, the marantz stuff came from the original owner and he saved and bagged the packing for a few

? Marantz Box, can't see which component this was from, it's on the other side

Crazy High end Panasonic VHS player and a sony Turntable

Stacks of CED discs and reel to reel tapes

I bought the CEDS and a few different CED players for cheap at garage sales because I wanted to use the cover art in a theater room project that never happened. The reel to reels are from the 1990s and were used to play syndicated music programs at a local radio station. As such they are high quality tape full of 1970s adult contemporary(think time life collection singers and songwriters type stuff) Good Old Rock and roll (1960s era rock with some oldies) 1990s country (garth etc..) I got several hundred tapes all are in heavy boxes and have only been played once. Because they are 1990s era they are in great shape and not falling apart like most of the old reel tapes you find. You can listen to them or just use them as blank tapes as they are really great tape.

Marantz Imperial 5G speakers that I got at a garage sale for $5, one woofer didn't work but when i opened it up the wire had come loose and some fresh solder fixed it, they were missing their grilles so I bought that make a grille foam and made new ones

Marantz imperial 5G back

Realistic LAB-55 Turntable with $2 garage sale price tag, on top of some 1990s technics receiver IIRC

Thing under microscopes is a 1950s The Fisher Tube preamp in a wood case(holy gently caress I just looked this one up, it's a Fisher 400 CX Stereo Tube Preamp they sell for up to $2500), I also have it's wired remote and a spring reverb/echo accessories somewhere. Gold under Stetson box is AN HHScott tube tuner in wood cabinet, under that is a marantz 5 disc cd player, under that is a marantz 3200 preamp in wood cabinet, even lower in that rack behind the box is a Marantz 150 Oscilloscope tuner in wood cabinet and a Marantz 510m power amp in wood cabinet.

New never used Panasonic Laserdisc player, the guy i got it from bought it in the 1990s and when he moved said I could have it because he never got it to work, it was never plugged in, under that is a Sansui QRX 7001 Quad receiver, Under that behind the brown towel is a Sansui G-9000 receiver, it's on the floor because it weighs 60 pounds and actually has extra feet in the middle of the bottom to support it's weight. These things put out so much power the volume knob has a safety setting to keep you from turning it up past where you set it and blowing your speakers.

A few different mixers, Marantz 1152DC amp, thing under green is a tube amp I think, the stuff stacked in front is piles of components that I would need to dig through.

Luxman turntable, other random components? on top of Yamaha 12" speakers on top of 12" cerwin vega AT-12s, I also have a single AT-15 cabinet that has a massive subwoofer in it for a home cinema setup.

Sharp 6 disc 2 tape deck boombox!?!?!?!

Some weird Yamaha DSP? probably a garage sale pickup

Teac 3340 4 track reel to reel capable of 15ips studio master quality, sitting on top of OHM I speakers which were $1500 speakers in the 1970s and are still worth $1550 trade in value on new OHM speakers, 4 way with a built in subwoofer, really neat if you would like to see a better pic, http://ohmspeaker.com/legacy-products/i/#main

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 29, 2016

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I'm saving up for a car...
http://www.nbc.com/amazing-stories/video/gather-ye-acorns/2909107

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OYZ04mCGCo&t=150s

Edit: Serious answer is time. I live an hour away and while I'd like to sell 90% of it, it's a giant pain to move a huge lot of tube gear at once. Ebay is the best place but shipping some of the expensive/delicate/heavy gear is a nightmare. The free time I have had I have been trying to help my dad sell his baseball card collection which I prioritize because it's a shared activity.

That said I have been taking out a box of poo poo everytime I stop over. But aside from the HIFI stuff I have all kinds of other ebay fodder so it's not a simple operation.

Everything I grab ends up being worth selling on ebay and I get all ADD sidetracked. For example I found these old computer/video game books.

And guess what I found inside, cue 2 hours of looking for the game and box in a non efficient way and getting totally sidetracked.

See also the thing in the cloth bag in front of the reel to reel https://goo.gl/HRTlOV
Or that light in front of the speakers etc.. https://goo.gl/MpRvVy

The car reference is to the Gather Ye Acorns Amazing Stories episode I linked. In it a kid is told by a gnome or something that he should never clean out his room and he will be rich one day. Cue hoarding of junk that turns out to be valuable.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 29, 2016

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

pzy posted:

I spy Capsela. Gimme!

That's just a NIB remote control accessory, you can see the TRU clearance sticker on the side. Somewhere I have a bin with all the parts from one of their large sets plus a few of the smaller sets that I got at a garage sale as a kid.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

DarkSol posted:

If you're looking to sell that, I'll buy it off of you.

I have to find the Cart and the (folded)box back before I sell it.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I found back the RK-1 Wired remote for that Fisher Tube Preamp.

The preamp ran through the remote and shipped with a jumper plug

The remote was an extra $17.95 in 1960 money and allowed volume and balance adjustment from your easychair

I also found this High end subwoofer crossover

And this noise reduction box that used the High Com standard

Looks like this is missing the power button and is likely a parts donor.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 12, 2016

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Maybe I'm a bit dense but when did facebook add a knockoff craigslist function if you swipe left in the app?

Some good deals from the looks of it. Not that I need more stuff.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I was playing some pool at a friends house and he mentioned that some drunk knob blew out his garage stereo.

He asked me about buying one of my setups but I told him he's better off with a junker because way too many drunks hang around his house and will just blow the next one.

I vaguely remembered having a curb find that I remembered needing the pots cleaned so I told him he could have it.

It's a pioneer SX-750. I found it on the curb about 10 years ago and never did anything with it. It needs the bulbs for the tuner dial and the FM and Phono functions and the pots need to be cleaned but realistically the wood means it will never be worth repairing. Works fine other than needing the knobs jiggled due to the scratchy pots.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

My buddy said he could probably make new sides for it easily. My point is any collector value is toast and it would cost more to do it right than that unit is worth.

Glad it finally has a home.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Isn't that a shelf with a beosys remote under the clock? Looks like the remote mine came with.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The big Advantage with reel-to-reel is that you can used 15 inch per second speed on the higher end units. That is Studio master quality it was all so easy to edit in a time when the options were vinyl or tape. I have a teac 4-channel reel-to-reel 4430 or something like that and its really nice. Sadly the spindle paddles snapped so i need new spindles for it. I also have a 6030 or something like that that needs a power cord if any chicagoons are looking for a cheap project.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

This is why I have a giant collection of old stereo gear and have yet to sell any of it.

Ebay will always side with the buyer. Even if the seller said no returns on a used item and the buyer broke it.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

You guys probably know this but you should always stop and check church rummage sales. The old ladies running them have no idea what things are worth and aren't going to go on eBay and check when they price.

I just walked out of a sale and it ended up opening up 5 minutes early so I wasn't the first in the door. The guy in front of me got a Nakamichi 1000 cassette deck for $20.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 27, 2017

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Generally console HiFis are very lovely electronics built into a cheap buffet cabinet.

I have seen quite a few restorations where they scrapped the internals and built in a modern mp3 player and minibar etc. That is about all they are good for.

They do shop up at thrift shops and estate sales for cheap.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

There can be only one

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Another neat option besides vu meters is to find an oscilloscope tuner. Besides allowing super exact tuning of stations most have inputs so you can feed your preamp into the scope and get a neat light show.

My marantz 150 tuner has both 2ch and 4ch scope modes.

I don't have any videos but here is one from YT

https://youtu.be/KJP06IHFqfs

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I'm trying to get my finances in order and decided to start cutting some gear loose.

Problem is my poo poo is buried as I posted about before...

So i did some spelunking

Dusted off this The Fisher 400 CX tube preamp.

Also found the optional wired remote.

And this goofy manual

For this kind of rare accessory

The only bad part is the remote control knob for the space expander is missing the cord that connected it is there but it either was cut or broke off. It wasn't there when I got it. I'm betting a new knob pot in a project box could be spliced on to fix it.

Of course it's all tube and hasn't been used since I got it 15 years ago so I'll probably just take it in to a hifi repair place and have them power it up and inspect it rather than turn it on myself.

Edit: looked at ebay and it appears I'm missing the reberb spring assembly for the space expander as well. :(

Edit 2: I also found a Marantz 1150D that I have no recollection of owning.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 27, 2017

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have been downsizing and getting all my audio/videogame/collectable poo poo ready to sell.

Finally got to a point I could try out my Marantz stack. It hasn't been powered on for 15 years so I was nervous it might not work.

Plugged it in and was pretty happy.

3200 preamp
150 tuner
510m power amp

Here is a video of the tuner with the scope set to audio visualization.

https://youtu.be/PdaNCKh5dsc

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

To meet the expectations of the thread I decided to test out the phono input. Plugged in a realistic lab55 turntable that I got at a garage sale based on the $2 price tag on it. Currently listening to men at work - overkill off the cargo album.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I found a couple 8 tracks and figured I'd try out one of the 8 track players I have.

Works great.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 14, 2017

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Just got back to a closet with more gear, found the soundcraftsman eq, jvc rtr, and a dynaco 400 power amp I have no recollection of buying.

Also hundreds of RTR tapes from the 90s.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

First a stack of ced movies on top of rtr tapes

A box of 60s consumer tapes from a garage sale. Some of these are new, some are labeled with band names like The Doors so I need to see what is actually on them.

Here is looking into the closet of poo poo. I still need to keep cleaning so I can get them but you can see the dynaco amp, rtr and eq at the bottom.

Here is a few stacks of tapes, there are a few more stacks and a few boxes of them as well.

Each tape was from syndicated music radio programs in the 90s. There is adult contemporary mixes, country and classic rock. The radio station was supposed to toss them after but the guy I got them from saved them.

Here is an example setlist, the classic rock ones are actually decent but the others are not great unless you are having a 90s party.

But the tape itself is high quality and new enough that it would be decent to record over so Im assuming I can sell them off.

The cleaning is slow going because I saved all kinds of weird poo poo and some of it is worth quite a bit so I'm checking ebay for everything. Here was a nice surprise, an apple think different poster set in the original box with the posters still sealed.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I can't see much in the video but follow the linkage and see where it goes. At some point you probably snapped something or lost a spring. You might be able to manually trip the linkage after what broke.

It's also possible the tape got eaten and is bound to a capstan. If so you are probably best holding the button and forcing the door open with a spudger or a flatblade.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

According to this thread the JBL L166s are rated for 70 WPC sustained so you are probably not going to do much but blow them with a more powerful amp.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/jbl-l166-or-4312b.387506/

But it all depends on the size of the room and the speakers you are using some larger speakers may need more power to operate correctly. For example I got a pair of OHM I speakers for free. The guy I got them from said they were broken because they never put out much sound. He did have them hooked up to an 80s era reciever that probably only put out 45WPC max.

I assumed that the amp was too weak to get them to run. They have 3 tweeters, a woofer and a subwoofer so they need a decent amount of power just to get everything working.

I hooked them up at home to verify and they worked perfectly.

According to ohm you need 100-1000WPC to run them. And they have a switch which allows you to power the subwoofer separately so if you ran a separate sub crossover and power amp you could probably have a bit less power on your main amp.

But large cabinet speakers will generally benefit from being driven with at least 100-150WPC if you are in a larger room and will need to turn them up.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Finally got some deoxit. Have been cleaning and testing gear.

Marantz 1180DC hooked up as a preamp to a dynaco 400.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Picked the fisher 400cx and the sansui g9000 up from the stereo shop.

https://youtu.be/U67tGVL7wBI

Now to sell them off

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

They make female to female extensions or just use barrel connectors.

For the gound just splice in some wire

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I scored a set of Sansui SP-3500 speakers at goodwill today for $10.

One small piece of the wood lattice grill is broken and I'm not sure how to get the grills off to inspect the cones.

Worst case some of the components are broken and I sell them off for parts or repair.

Best case they work and I have a friend who is into woodworking fix the grill.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

In the early 2000s vintage hifi was dead. MP3 and IPods were the future.

99% of my collection I posted in this thread was curb picks/garage sales/one collection I got at a fraction of it's value during that time.

Then again even the iPod I bought then is worth a fair amount because it had a decent dac chip so maybe I'm just lucky.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I found a mint Pioneer PL-7 turntable at savers for 4.99 today. Monday is 1/2 price day so it was only 2.50.

Tried turning it on and it would not spin. Tried turning the table by hand thinking it needed fresh grease and got nothing. Lifted up the mat and found the original transport screws/pads were still installed.

Took it to the checkout. The manager warned me that it was broken as her staff had tested it. She figured someone could use it for parts and told them to price it at $5. I explained what was wrong but she said $2.50 was all she would take for it and thanked me for the info for next time.

Popped out the screws and it works fine. A bit scratchy so I will need to clean the RCA cables and the connectors on the tonearm as I think there must be a bad connection somewhere. The weight and anti skate need to be calibrated but the autoplay features and motor work perfect.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I finally plugged in my marantz stack. So much walnut.

https://youtu.be/tTYDuTcWk8k

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Classy!

Your Lissajous pattern is out of phase, though.

I have never put that much effort into figuring out the scope settings on the 150.

I know it does Tuning/stereo/quad displays but I don't use the tuner or scope most of the time.

Usually I just have the 510m and the 3200 on and am using Phono, Ipod or Bluetooth.

I do have a few other setups.

Other most used one is a Marantz 1180DC with the same Esinkin BT Adapter, Panasonic SL-N15 turntable and an MCM Remote Line Level controller plugged in between the pre out and main in on the 1180DC.

https://youtu.be/1Qqfirzg09Q

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Oscilloscope chat.

Depending on what brand of gear you have in your system you may be able to find matching tuner that has a built in oscilloscope.

They were included on high end tuners because they can be used to display fine tuning of a station.

The one on my Marantz 150 tuner has a few modes, it can display fine tuning, the sound output of the station you are tuned to in stereo or quad, and it has external inputs that display stereo or quad from an external source.

I have the tape out of my 3200 preamp plugged into the oscilloscope input on my tuner so it's showing the record playing in this video.

https://youtu.be/tTYDuTcWk8k

I don't run the scope all the time because I'm relatively sure that it will be a huge hassle to get replaced if it dies. It does have a power switch so you can turn it off and leave the tuner on. I did read something saying that the scopes Marantz used were a standard part in other devices and can still be purchased as NOS but hopefully I never have to find out.

I'm currently trying to find the correct fan for my 510M since the original has got some bearing noise and isn't long for this world. Was a commonly used industrial 120v fan and $5 up until it was discontinued a few years ago and now they are $50 or $60.

I found a correct size and comparably spec'ed fan on Amazon for $17 that I may end up trying instead.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have been using my Marantz Stack quite a bit since I got the matching 6300 turntable.

I decided to put a bit of work into it.

Got a 2nd headshell for the 6300 and properly aligned the Shure V15V-MR cart and replaced the headshell wires. Setup a cheaper ortofon cart in the 2nd headshell for beater records because the Shure cart needles are super expensive. Balanced the shure cart with a digital scale and got it to 1.5g exactly. Turns out the 1.0 g I had set it for was actually too low if you are using the stabilizer/brush as it exerts .5 g of upwards force so you need to use 1.5 to counter that and get the 1g recommended force for the cart.

I replaced the fan in my 510Ms cooling tunnel the original 120v roton was discontinued and super expensive so I found a computer fan on amazon that slightly exceeds the OEM specs and swapped it in. So much better now that I can't hear the dying fan bearings rattling when the amp is on.

My 150 had a piece of wire for an fm antenna so I picked up a cheap dipole and it's pulling in stations much better now.

My 3200 was a bit scratchy I thought I had cleaned it a few years back but apparently I was thinking of a different piece of Marantz gear cuz once I got it out it was clear that it hadn't been cleaned in a long time. Got all the controls cleaned with deoxit and everything sounds perfect now.

I did have one nagging issue. My hifi rack has 5 spaces for gear and one had an ugly marantz 5 disc changer on it. Also my room needed a bit more blue light so I pulled a weird bit of Marantz kit out of the pile.

A 2440 Quad Adapter Intergrated Stereo amp.

Essentially a 2 channel integrated amp with a quad adapter that allows you to add rear channels and a quad decoder to a 2 channel system. Took quite a bit of cleaning as it has been sitting since I bought it close to 20 years ago and likely wasn't being used much then.

Works great now but is missing the SQ decoder addon box and I kind of want to buy the joystick wired remote for it now and pretend I'm at a pink floyd concert.

Now the whole corner of the room has a blue glow from all the VU meters.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

wa27 posted:

There's speed adjustments on the LP60. It's not as easy as a turntable with a pitch adjustment, but you should be able to dial it in. Use a printed strobe disc, or I think there are phone apps where you literally set your phone on the platter to test the speed.

I used one called RPM Speed and Wow for android.

Checked it against my Marantz 6300 and it matched up with the strobe. Checked a few other tables and it worked great for everything. You will want to use a roll of tape to center your phone over the spindle unless you have a platter weight you can use.

Also gives you the wow reading which is handy.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I got ambitious and ordered a shelf to organize my records and go a bit better with my Marantz gear.

While I was rearranging things I pulled my pair of Ohm I speakers out to class things up.

On a negative note the suspension of my Shure V15V-MR stylus failed. I knew it was a delicate cart and the suspension was delicate when it was new and 35 years means it was bound to have deteriorated like a turntable belt.

While not cheap at $200 at least JICO makes a replacement stylus and I won't have to worry about the suspension falling for a decade or 2. Ordered one for ebay for $165 from a Japanese seller. I will have to see if it's as good as the original when it gets here. Running a $30 ortophon Omega cart in the meantime.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

my turn in the barrel posted:

On a negative note the suspension of my Shure V15V-MR stylus failed. I knew it was a delicate cart and the suspension was delicate when it was new and 35 years means it was bound to have deteriorated like a turntable belt.

While not cheap at $200 at least JICO makes a replacement stylus and I won't have to worry about the suspension falling for a decade or 2. Ordered one for ebay for $165 from a Japanese seller. I will have to see if it's as good as the original when it gets here. Running a $30 ortophon Omega cart in the meantime.

Update: the Jico stylus took 2 months to arrive but fit perfectly and sounds wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Was visiting an old friend and talking about vinyl and mentioned I had a shure V15V-MR and had to buy a Jico Stylus.

Buddy said he had a shure stylus someone gave him that he was going to toss out. Asked me if I wanted it.

Ended up being a vn35e stylus new in the box with the instructions and internal Weird faux-wood plastic jewelry box.

Looks like it might fit my V15V-MR cart but since the vn35e seems to sell for $200-$500 on ebay I'll probably sell it so someone with a v15 Type III can enjoy it and just order a spare Jico.