Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I've had a sl1200 m3d for several years now and its been sitting for the last two, last time I hooked it up the sound quality was very poor. Could the cartridge have collected crud or something, any higher frequency sound seems muffled and not very clear. Is there a recommended cartridge people around here are using on these tables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Thanksfor the cartridge suggestions, that gives me a good place to start.

My G9000 and 8900zdb get used often enough that theyare not the culprit, I had this table connected to my 2325 and stopped using it when I got the G and a linear tracking table. I'm sure the cartridge is close to ten years old so I'll start there.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't know much about Polk (I've never seen a set here in Europe), but that particular model seem to get mixed reviews in general use, but quite good reviews when only looking at outdoor speakers.

That said, they were free? And they work? Score!
I have a blown set or atrium 4s that my Sansui speaker eater got to, not efficient at all and no power handling. At least a powered set shouldn't be able to eat themselves.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Based on what I see it looks like a good start would be some deoxit on all the switches and pots, my big g will loose a channel if it sits too long and I have to fiddle with all the knobs and switches to get good contact again.

Can you find any service manuals for the thing?

And No Quarter is the best Zepplin song.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Sorry, missed the powered speaker part.

Can you smell burning anywhere in there? I'd probably start looking at the output transistors/IC. I only see the one fuse in your picture but if there are anymore test them, check for anything distorted like bulging caps.

It doesnt look like anything too special so trying to fix it yourself sounds like a good learning opportunity and excuse to buy some new tools.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Tortilla Maker posted:

Two fuses in the back:

Nothing smells burnt and no visible damage to anything. Will play around with it.

Guess electronic stores completely died when RadioShack went away? Not finding a local place (in DC at least) that carries capacitors, transistors, etc.

Yeah, be prepared to scour the internet for some amplifier parts, I have a 8900zbd that has some rare components in it I am afraid of damaging.

If you don't have a scope you will probably need one, since half of it works you have a reference to look at/measure and compare. I haven't had to troubleshoot down to that level in a long time but pick a point and test from there to see where the signal stops, see if there is a good troubleshooting guide in the service manual.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yeah more knobs is way better and it gets you out of the house.

get both.

I hope that Tortilla Maker is currently picking it up, I could have got a 4 channel of the same vintage and didn't for some reason. Don't make my mistake.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Buying one of these, Telefunken Concertino 3520. 1970s era receiver. It has the full shortwave spectrum in addition to AM/FM and that green backlight panel is real good looking IMO... I guess there's not a lot of SW radio anymore sadly, but with a good antenna you can get signals from far away.

More pictures please. That thing has a really nice look to it, those sliders. I'm trying to think of where I can fit one more receiver in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I have an old Scott receiver that has too much static in the controls and switches so I go to my electronics workbench in the basement I haven't used in a few years. Its a little buried so I spend a hour cleaning it so I can work. Get the receiver torn down to where I can access the pots and switches without sending anything flying or breaking parts, pull out my nearly full can of deoxit and its out of propellant. Guess I'll work on getting better lighting while I wait for a new can to show up.