Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

This is the thread for anyone interested turntables, cheap (but good) speakers, 2-channel stereos, or vintage equipment. Basically, if you want a decent music-listening/TV-watching setup for $200 or a setup with a turntable for $300, this thread is for you. I'm adding some other stuff about higher-end turntables too, since there seems to be interest.

I assume that you can scrounge up cables from somewhere, so that's not listed.

• Speakers
    Insignia 6 1/2" Bookshelf Speaker - about $90 at Best Buy, and you can pick 'em up from the store. I haven't pushed them to their limit yet, but they sound great to me.

• Receivers
    Anything Pioneer SX-XXX from the 70's (626, 650, 525, etc etc). Some other good brands are Sony, Marantz (a little pricier), Harman Kardon, Kenwood, and Yamaha. They go for anywhere from :20bux: to $200ish. See section on vintage receivers further down. If want a new receiver that's 2 channel, you can get a Outlaw 2150, which is about $700.

• Turntables
    • El Cheapo (less than $100 new)
      • Audio Technica AT-PL50 - has phono and line-level outputs, but you'll probably need to buy an RCA extension cable. Aside from the short cable, I love mine. It's fully automatic so I just have to put the LP on the mat and hit play.
      • Sony PSLX250H - basically the same as the AT-PL50
    • El Guapo
    • El Camino
      • Technics SL-1200 - this is the classic turntable, in production since 1972. These are always in demand by DJs even though it's an audiophile table, expect to pay $500 for a new one, or $250 used. You can also mod the poo poo out of these if you want.
      • There are a bunch of good Thorens tables out there (maybe $150 used)
      • Sanyo TP1012 - Another 70's TT. This one sounds good too, if the cartridge is decent. About $50 on your local craigslist.

--Turntables--
Why buy a turntable?
It is PHIZzy as hell! Seriously though, listening to vinyl is a different experience than listening to a CD or MP3. I'm not exactly sure why, but vinyl draws the listener in moreso than other media. Also, it's fun to go buy LPs.

A lot of turntable info is available here.

Buying Vintage Turntables
I didn't do this, it seemed like a crapshoot. There are some great turntables out there, but they're around $40 to ship. Flea markets, thrift shops, craigslist, and local-pickup EBay are your friends. If you want to go nuts, you can get a something like a PL-630 and rebuild it.

Avoid non-functional turntables unless you know what you're doing, or you don't mind spending hours and hours trying to fix it. Also, make sure you get a dust cover.

Buying New/Modern Turntables
I used the following criteria: fully automatic, replaceable cartridge and/or stylus, smallish footprint, no USB output, and phono-level outputs. I didn't care about super-high audio fidelity, I'd listen to a CD if I wanted that. I also didn't have a preference between direct drive and belt drive. Note about DJ turntables: There's nothing wrong with a DJ turntable, except that you may be paying for features you won't use (fancy speed controls, playing records backwards, etc). Also it may look out of place in your living room, if you care about that.

helpful turntable nuggets
An SL1200 FAQ (read this even if you don't have a 1200, it has general advice).

Cartridges and Needles
Most stock carts and styli sound like rear end, especially on entry-level turntables. Some good ones are the Shure m97xe, Denon DL-110 (this one is rated :dong:), and Ortofon 2M Red (which is miles ahead of the OM-5 and OM-10). I'm using a ATN-3600DLX, which is leaps and bounds better than the stock stylus.

Where to get LPs
I usually get them at a local music store, the used book store, and Amazon. In the past few weeks, my local music store really went nuts, and basically tripled their new LP inventory. I'm able to pick up new pressings of classics for $13, and new music for $20ish. Double-albums go for about $27.

Here are some other places you can buy from:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?format=Vinyl
http://www.musicstack.com/
http://www.gemm.com/
http://www.turntablelab.com/vinyl/
http://www.insound.com/
http://store.acousticsounds.com/category.cfm?section=vinyl&id=5
http://www.musicdirect.com/category/11
http://www.auralexploits.com/

--Receivers--
Buying Vintage Receivers
Vintage (70's) receivers are frikkin sweet. They have great looks (blue glow :mmmhmm:), they're repairable, sound awesome, have phono inputs, and great radio reception. Also they're about :20bux: and there are large communities online that collect/repair them, such as audiokarma. Pioneer and Marantz seem to have the best "community support". Don't be dismayed by a 70's receiver without lots of wattage, watts were measured differently back then. From the Marantz FAQ:

quote:

35 watts/channel as specified by Marantz in the 1970's meant "The unit can deliver 35 watts into 8 ohms for one hour, from all channels at the same time, with no significant change in distortion, or other specifications, at any time during, or after, the test hour."

..while 100 watts/channel today (for instance, in my JVC surround system) means "The unit can deliver 100 watts for a fraction of a second, in one channel only, if the other channels aren't running and nothing else high energy has happened to drain the power supply of stored energy in the last few seconds."

I think the most telling thing here is that the FAQ's author bought a new 500 RMS watt receiver, but the receiver's power supply was rated for 320 watts:flaccid:. I have a 17 watt system, and I never have to turn the volume control more than a third of the way up from zero. The price/performance sweet spot for 70's receivers is around 70-80 watts, but around 20 watts is just fine for a normal-size room.

Here are some tips for checking out a vintage receiver at a thrift store:

Willeh posted:

If you want to check if a receiver is OK, you could carry some headphones with you when you go to the fleamarket. If they let you turn it on, you can plug those in and mess around with the knobs (input select, volume).

If you get a crackling sound as you turn them, you could have issues with channels dropping out when hooked up to some speakers. You could fix it yourself, but that would require some electronics skills. It's fun though if you know what you're doing, not to mention the savings.

I've replaced all the capacitors in my 525, it wasn't bad at all. I spent about $40 on new caps, and $10 for a soldering iron. I think it made the bass response better, but that could just be in my head. In any event, I did it because I like the receiver and because it was fun, not to save money.

The problem with buying vintage equipment is that you have to do a little searching. I spent about two weeks finding my receiver. They're heavy, and thus expensive to ship ($20-$30). Flea markets, thrift shops and craigslist are your best friends here. Ebay is good too, but make sure you can either pick up locally, or you're comfortable paying for shipping.

Buying New/Modern Recievers
For the price range, I have no idea here:ughh:. Advice would be welcome. One thing to note is that if you're using an old turntable with a new receiver (without phono inputs), you'll need a pre-amp of some sort (BEST: NAD PP3, GOOD: TC750PP, OK: Pyle PP-999, or just DIY).

--Speakers--
The Insignias are decent enough for new speakers, but there are usually great deals on craigslist. If you're adventurous, you can refoam a pair of older speakers.

If you have any info you'd like to see in this post, just post underneath and I'll incorporate it.

andretti fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Bensa posted:

I try to avoid having my turntable ontop of the receiver just because it heats up quite a lot and you really want a stable platform that will not react to the sound being played back. If you had your turntable on a piece of sheet metal for example it would vibrate with the music and then induce that vibration on the needle. This creates a loop and can cause howling noises.

Agreed. I saw this, which might be another option. You could mount a shelf somewhere for pretty cheap, and put the turntable on that. I'd forego the granite platform and Sorbothane hemispheres:psyduck:, something from Home Depot will be more than sufficient. If you're worried about vibration, get a nice looking $2 paving stone to put underneath the TT (just don't exceed the shelf's load).

EDIT: This guy swears by using bouncy superballs for isolation, maybe you could glue some to the bottom of a paving stone or piece of plexiglass if you're having vibration problems with the shelf.

andretti fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 30, 2008

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

Awesome buy, that thing looks minty. Where did you find it?

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

dj_pain posted:

ok ive been inspired by this thread and want to get a vintage amp. Im looking at a pioneer SX-408 or a Technics SU-Z25 which one should i get ?

I can't find specs on the 408, but it might be a little underpowered. What speakers are you planning on using it with?

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Toebone posted:

I've been wanting to get a turntable, anyone have any opinions on the Sony PSLX250H? Amazon reviews seem decent aside from the occasional audiophile rant and it's not too pricey. Other than that, what other units should I be looking at?

The PS-LX250H is pretty similar to the AT-PL50. They both are fully automatic, have a switch for the preamp, use the same cartridge, etc. I really like my AT-PL50, so I don't think you'll go wrong.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Swap_File posted:

Akai X1800-SD Reel to Reel with 8-Track player

Do you ever use this? How does reel tape and 8-track sound?

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

dj_pain posted:

well i got jensen dx-80 (there 180 watts and 6 ohms) as speakers. I did a bit more looking around on ebay and i found a seller who repairs amps. So now im tempted on the SA-6300 which will underpower the speakers according to this site. Im not really worried about the look of the amp, i just want to be able to listen to vinyls without having my wife buging me to watch tv.

Those speakers are great:australia:. Honestly, if you want to use them to their full potential, you'll need a pretty beefy amp. The SA-6300 is 25W at 8 ohm, I'm not sure if that's going to cut it, even for low-volume listening. I'm not an expert by any means though.

How loud are you interested in getting?

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

The Human Cow posted:

I found a Sony STR-7065A at Goodwill a year or so ago for $13. It sounds pretty awesome. I've used it as-is for a while, but I'm thinking about giving it a good cleaning and fixing it up however else I can after I graduate in a couple weeks.

More receivers need to have a shiny metal frontplate with lots of knobs and levers.

That thing is awesome, looks great and I'm sure it sounds great too:3: Are you thinking about recapping it? When I recapped my SX-525, it wasn't that bad of a job at all.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

muckswirler posted:

Anybody know a good place to have tube amps recapped? I'm not really interested in doing it myself. What can one expect to pay for this service? (Also, I'm not worried about crazy expensive caps, just decent poly or whatever.)

it's really not that bad to recap an amp. My understanding is a tube amp has fewer caps than a solid-state amp.

Basically, you just make a list of all your caps, go on digikey.com, buy, and replace 'em. Anything over 1uf can be electrolytic, poly is for <1uf. A tube amp has some high-voltage mofos, but I'd be surprised if it cost you more than $40 in parts ($50 if you have to buy a soldering iron).

I can't really give an estimate for having a pro re-cap it, but I've heard that a pro can do 10 caps in an hour. All shops are different, but I've seen places online that charge up to $100/h.

Like I said though, there's really nothing magic about doing a recap. Can you post pics of the inside of your amp? That would help assess how much effort a recap would be.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

pim01 posted:

^^ The only thing worth reading up on should be the different properties for the different types of capacitor. The actual soldering is simple. A few rules of thumb: always replace caps by same or higher voltage. Keep capacitance the same unless you have a good reason to change it (more capacitance for rail caps, for instance). Remember where the negative side goes when removing polarized caps, the marking on the board may have faded or have never been there. Taking a few good photo's where you can see the orientation of all caps will be a good precaution. That's about it.

That's most likely another problem (bad tube, replacing caps allow full power again, tube blows). I dunno, it feels like such a waste to pay for something that's as simple as recapping.

Agreed. It helps too if you just do a few caps in a sitting and then listen to the amp for awhile. That way if you screw up, you know where you went wrong and can fix it. Also, I've noticed that I only do stuff like pull out caps with a pair of pliers after I've been working for too long and getting frustrated :downsbravo: I noticed that there are two caps sticking out of the mounting board, I'm guessing they have big fat terminals on them. You can't buy caps with big terminals like that anymore, you can solder on a wire terminal to the cap's post, and get a nice area like that.

Here's the biggest tip though: never remove/replace more than 1 cap at a time, otherwise you will get mixed up.

I sourced all my caps from digikey. Their web interface isn't so hot, but they have pretty much every cap you can imagine. I used Panasonic electrolytic caps for everything over 1uf, and poly film for smaller values. I only had to not use original spec for a single cap, and it was only to use a 35V in place of a 25V.

It's really up to you though, if you feel like you're going to bust your amp, then don't try a recap and send it out instead.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

bacon! posted:

I have a really old motor driven Sanyo TP1012.

awesome wood panelling. What cartridge is on there?

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

I'm getting an ATN-3600DLX stylus, I'll post back once I get a chance to listen to it.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Grave $avings posted:

This seems like the right place to ask. I've been working on restoring an old Sansui 1000x that I've rescued from my grandfather's attic. While it is fully functional, the damned needle indicator light has burned out. Worse, it's potted with epoxy or something similar into the needle assembly. Does anyone know of a method, short of getting a new needle assembly, to replace a light such as this?

I didn't see anything from a cursory look, but the service manual may have something:

http://www.clarkeworks.com/clarkeworks_sansui.html

I'm guessing you'll need to either remove the epoxy and bulb, or just get a new assembly.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

woot fatigue posted:

Here's my setup:

Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 3300
Scandyna "Drop" speakers
Debut III with acrylic platter
Rega P1
NAD PP3

That's an impressive setup. How does the Rega P1 compare to the Debut III?

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks for the review, I linked in the OP.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

MrCompson posted:

I'm buying a new turntable, and my two main candidates are the Rega P3(24v) and a Technics SL-1200mk2. The Technics seems like it would have more longevity, but Technics turntables are really expensive where I live (Norway). Well, that is to say it costs about the same as a Rega P3, but the Rega seems to be in a much higher price class than the Technics in America. Would I get more for my money with a Rega P3, assuming it costs the same as a Technics SL-1200mk2?

You're starting to get into the quality realm where you have to listen to both TTs and see which one you like better. However, if they were the same price and I couldn't listen to them both, I'd get the P3.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Is anyone getting/buying any cool turntables, vinyl or vintage gear for Christmas? Aside from the aforementioned stylus, I'm going to pick up some shelves to hold my LPs since I'm starting to run out of room.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My local music store went out of business, anyone know any good online sites to buy LP's from?

Amazon is always a few dollars lower than the local place near me.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

The Human Cow posted:

Owsla posted:

awesome info, thanks for sharing

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Not an Anthem posted:

I kinda want this, for no good reason: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/ele/966906608.html

That thing reminds me of this

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

metaxus posted:

updated the OP, thanks

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Pibborando San posted:

that is sweet. how do you like it so far?

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Pibborando San posted:

It's great!
that rules, glad you like it.

Pibborando San posted:

EXCEPT, it seems to be riding really low on the LP surface, and the very bottom of the plastic housing sometimes scrapes against the record which makes an annoying dull "khkkhggkhh" sound.

That shouldn't be happening. Is your turntable level? I guess just wait until you get it back to your house and see if it keeps happening.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Chaucer posted:

I just bought a Pro-ject Xpression III for my Marantz 2245 receiver. One of the reasons I got this receiver was because they were made during the heyday of vinyl and would come with a really nice phonostage built-in.

I hooked it up and it sounds like garbage. Distortion all over the place. The cartridge was professionally installed for me and I got to listen to it before I left the store. It sounded great, but it's not nice at all at home. I worry the most likely scenario is a bad phono input. I won't know unless I get a pre-amp and hook it up to a different input. But, can anyone think of other things I can try?

I'm assuming that the 2245 sounds fine on all other inputs, and on AM/FM.

Try wiggling the cables from the TT and toggle all the buttons on the front panel a couple of times to free up any crud. On my SX-525, the phono input jacks were dirty (I guess) and I had to plug/unplug them a few times to get rid of static.

Next step is to listen to the TT through the headphone jack on the receiver. Any distortion there? Do you get the distortion on both the main and remote speaker outputs?

Next step I would do is to open the receiver up, and look for any leaking or scorched. While it was open, I'd also clean all the pots with Deoxyit, as outlined here. Also, clean the microphone input jack, sometimes it's a part of the audio path for phono, and it gets filthy with age.

If that doesn't do the trick, next step is to get the service manual and start testing with a mulitmeter.

Does the distortion only come in after the receiver has been on for a little bit, or is it there at the start?

andretti fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 30, 2008

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

I'm having a cat fur problem with my LPs, they seem to attract tons of it. I always operate my turntable with the dust cover on, and my LPs are only out of the sleeve when they're being played.

Is there a way to keep the cat hair off my records? It adds pops and occasional skips, and I can't blow it off.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

I got my ATN3600DLX stylus the other day. I thought there would only be a small difference in the sound, but the new stylus is very noticeable. Instruments and vocals are much clearer.

I got it from LP Gear, it was definitely worth the money, even for an entry-level turntable like my AT-PL50. Note that if you buy the AT-PL50 from LP Gear (link), it comes with the better stylus and a better belt. If I had known the difference in sound, I would have just bought them all together and saved a little money.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

Hey all, I'm looking to rip a lot of old LPs and 7"s, and I'd like to get some good equipment to do it. I have an old turntable (unsure how good it really is), that Chaintech sound card nerds are always talking about, but I need advice on how to rip records so that they'll sound good. I assume I'll need a good preamp, cartridge/needle... what else?

What's the make and model of the turntable? That will help with the cart/needle question.

If you can't dig up a receiver with phono inputs, you'll have to get a preamp.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

Turntable is a JVC, model JL-A20. How much does the quality of the turntable affect the final sound, if I get a good cartridge/needle?

The TT should be more than fine, as long as the belt is in decent shape (no slippage) and you're not doing jumping jacks next to it. If you're picking up a new stylus/cart anyway, you may as well get the belt too. It's $18 from lpgear.com. You should be able to use any cart recommended in the OP, but I'm not 100% sure since I can't find much info about the JL-A20 online. The seller should know for sure though.

Anyway, you just need the TT, RCA cables to pre-amp, RCA cables to sound card, and probably an adapter to go from RCA to whatever plug your card uses.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

Not an Anthem posted:

Does anyone use DIY vibration dampening under their tables? My table is a cheap one sitting on an MDF ikea entertainment center, walking forcefully near it will pop the needle. Any ideas on solutions? I was thinking a heavy stone slab with a rubber mat on top maybe?

This guy recommends that you get a gravestone with a typo in it for cheap (or a piece of plexiglass), and then glue bouncy balls to the bottom of it. It seems pretty legit to me, I'd do it if I had problems with skipping.

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=tweaks&m=71904

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

muckswirler posted:

Solder spade connectors on the ends and shove em in there.

This is what I did, it works well enough.

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

proton posted:

Not sure if y'all can help, but I brought her out of my dads basement and it worked great for a few weeks, but now I'm starting to notice some fuzziness in the right channel. I'm using it as a headphone amp on my computer so its driving me crazy.

I never cleaned it up, is there something fairly simple I could do that might help ? I really don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks to have it fixed.

It sounds like you have a dirty connector somewhere. If you turn the knobs back and forth a lot, does it change the fuzziness at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

bought an 8 track player because I'm an idiot:

It's going to be used for radio mostly, but if I find some 8 tracks that I want, I may buy a few. The unit works, but is scratchy when you turn the knobs (likely just needs a spray or two of contact cleaner on the pots).

I have a Pyle amp that I'm going to use instead of the built-in amp, so I won't need to replace the caps. It's a Realistic Modulaire 8, and is pretty light when you pick it up. The radio works great, the 8 track had a lot of wow when I tried it out, but I'm not sure if that's from the heads or the tape being old.

I'm going to crack it open in a few and look for any popped caps or dead bugs, hopefully all is well!