Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

If you are looking for speakers to match with ~70's era amps, find some old infinity's. They made and still make some really nice poo poo at some price points. If you can find some with a dome midrange driver, snag those suckers if they work. They are pretty much awesome.

Anybody know a good place to have tube amps recapped? I'm not really interested in doing it myself. What can one expect to pay for this service? (Also, I'm not worried about crazy expensive caps, just decent poly or whatever.)

Bonus pic of my golden yard sale find. ($100 w/ dustcover and 13 reels featuring various artists + 2 virgin.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

andretti posted:

words

In this pic, you can identify about 12 caps. Underneath there are probably another dozen or so.

I've got a list of all the capacitors required for a full recap, but they tend to get expensive or hard to source if you're only buying a few/one of each. (And you want pretty nice ones.)

The main thing that's keeping me from doing this myself is the other smaller, less complicated tube amp that I tried. It threw a tube shortly after surgery.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

That's a good deal for sure!

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Demagogue posted:

Has anyone here had experience with the laser turntable? Top end turntables are priced way more than this thing, and it seems like this should be better than any of them.

I got their info packet thing and read a bunch about it. I think the general consensus is that it sucks.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Peacebone posted:

I won a Pioneer SX-770 blackface for really cheap on Ebay but am wondering on how to plug in the speakers since it has these strange speaker plug thing.

Here's a photo for reference:
http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Salvage_Hi_Fi/Pioneer_SX-770_Stereo_Receiver_salvage.jpg

Solder spade connectors on the ends and shove em in there.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Nice find metaxus.

But 30 bucks? That's crazy. I meant the spade connectors that look like a leg of a large auto fuse. Which is what those look like.

Also, that site is kinda like "Goodwill speakers! Only $300! Get em while they last!"

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Ruprit posted:

So I ended up breaking the included stylus, I'm not quite sure how exactly. I think it may have been when I took the cover off. The stylus was actually bent to one side and the tip was upside down, I have no idea how I pulled that off.

Are you sure it didn't come like that? I can't imagine how you could bend it that bad without realizing it. Not to mention that if it was packaged in such a way so as to allow complete disfigurement, that's not your problem. I'd try to get the manufacturer to replace it.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Ruprit posted:

That's the problem, the cartridge was already assembled to the shaft and pre set-up. So it was either borked during manufacture or I did it. I'm not too broken up about it. I have read a recommend upgrade is to replace the included stylus anyway. It was a good learning experience overall, but if it was the motor on the other hand.

Beatles Love sounds amazing. I've only used AcousticSounds.com so far, but the shipment was very well packaged.

Also, I don't know how the acrylic platter sounds, but it looks hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

vibrantglow posted:

b&w dm302 (not hooked up, need some stands)

In the meantime, put down a few hardcover books and tilt the speakers back against the wall. It's a little ghetto, but the mapleshade guys do it sometimes and the're totally crazy bastards.