Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plateau need ROIDS!
Apr 14, 2009
So I found out that my parents have an old Pioneer SX - 535. I tried it out and it seems that only the left speaker works. I switched them and again only the left one worked. Any idea of what the problem is? Would this be an easy fix? Is it worth fixing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plateau need ROIDS!
Apr 14, 2009
So I bought a Direct Drvie Technics sl-1600. It is in good shape and works. But it doesn't have a cartridge. It doesn't have the component that connects the tonearm to a cartridge (they call them headshells?). Anyway, I just wanted to know if anybody here has had experience with this particular model--what sort of cart did you buy for it? The tonearm looks like it would fit any after market cart/headshell. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

plateau need ROIDS!
Apr 14, 2009
So I am using a pioneer sx 838 receiver with a Technics SL 1600 turntable. Everything sounded fine for a while. But now the music fades in and out, sounds tinny, gets real quiet and it seems to get remedied by a quick tape to the front of the receiver. Right now the music sounds fine but sometimes it gets out of hand. This set up sounded fantastic for a good two months and now this. Any ideas?

plateau need ROIDS!
Apr 14, 2009
Do any retail stores carry Deoxit? And Can the controls just pop off?

plateau need ROIDS!
Apr 14, 2009

MichiganCubbie posted:

Radio Shack has two bottles of it for $15. They're small bottles though.

My buttons on my craig stereo popped right off easily. Not sure how your's will be though.

I just tested and they come off fine. It felt sticky under there. Do I just spray down the whole metal thing and behind it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plateau need ROIDS!
Apr 14, 2009
Wow this deoxit stuff is pretty great. I gave my receiver a cleaning with it and it already sounds so much better. Left speaker is still much quieter but the distortion isn't there anymore. I think I need to give it another go now.

Question, the deoxit came with a bottle of doxit gold. It says to use it for prevention but is it worth it? Should I apply it?