Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captain chauncey
May 6, 2009

You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?

petit choux posted:

Maybe I should be playing my 78s on this:

Any and all recs on how to apply the TLC this thing needs welcome. Is this a cheap piece that I should sell or something actually decent to play records on?

It looks like KLH used a Garrard AT5 for that one, which is basically a full-size platter version of the Autoslim chassis that was their bread and butter line though the 60s. it's solid mid-fi per the era's definition. Vinylengine will have many posts on their Garrard forum about getting them cleaned up. The mechanicals are generally well built and not too hard to service. Basically most posts that mention the Autoslim chassis should be applicable, but in particular the AT6 and AT60, which were the more commonly available models that weren't built into another brand's system.

Unless there's something really wrong like full-on bent or broken parts, 99% of getting a Garrard going again (aside from a new idler) is meticulous cleaning and selective re-application of grease. The factory stuff tended to turn to glue over time.

captain chauncey fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captain chauncey
May 6, 2009

Stalizard posted:

Any of you guys know anything about these?

History-wise, no relation to the pens. BIC was originally short for British Industries Corporation, and was the American importer for Garrard. I believe when Garrard was sold to Gradiente from Plessey in the late 70s, they threw all their deals to the curb so they could direct market (Garrard was in its death throes by this point anyway so it didn’t matter).

BIC responded by coming up with their own line of turntables of unknown sourcing, though I think I read once that Voice of Music had something to do with them since their cash cow of supplying turntables for consoles had also long dried up by that point.

captain chauncey
May 6, 2009

The wiring harness you have in your hand next to the RCA cables powers the turntable via the amp. The turntable (and indeed many other OEM console/combo unit tables) was made by BSR. This one might be a C123 family, but they were known for making countless models that were tiny tweaks on the same thing based on who they were supplying.

I have a '63 Magnavox console in my living room, and there's a ton to enjoy about them, but they're not super hi-fi or anything. So what happens is repair shops used to repairing vintage Thorens and the like write them off, but the reality is those decks are a pretty decent fit for the system they are mated to, and their construction is actually pretty foolproof. A de-grease on the mechanisms underneath, and a new idler wheel, is very likely to get it going again. On these and Garrards, when they seem completely dead, oftentimes that's all that's holding it back.

So if you're so inclined I wouldn't rule out spending a half a Saturday giving it a good clean in all the underside mechanicals, then order an idler wheel from someone like Voice of Music.

captain chauncey
May 6, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm back with some more questions about the Zenith console record player I'm trying to get working.

You’ll want a new flip over needle that has a 0.7mm tip for LP’s, compared to 78’s that use a 3mm. They’re pretty easy to source but here’s one such place:

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=855&SearchType=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Tetrad&Categories=

If that box is indeed the correct 78 stylus, it suggests you have a Tetrad 13 or 33 (which is plausible, they were fitted to quite a few of those tables).

If you don’t have any 78’s and have no plans on ever playing one, the M855-DD77 has both sides with LP styli. The M855-DS73 has the more classic setup, one LP diamond and the other side a sapphire for 78s.

Again you’ll want to confirm this is your cartridge, I’m basing this on the assumption that box is for your cartridge to begin with. You can usually reach out to them for some needle help to be sure.